Speedlinking – November's Most Vocal

by derek on December 1, 2008 · 26 comments

The month of November brought us historic moments, crazy ‘stache moments, one critical blogging tip for beginners, and a look at who we are based on the books we read.
In addition, there has been an increase in dialog between community members of roughly 20% compared to the previous month. To get an idea of what was responsible for the increase in dialog, lets take a look at the posts that received the most comments.
For the month of November, the following posts had the most active discussion:

As I mentioned, there was an increase in the quantity of comments during the month of November; moving from 414 comments the previous month up to 498 comments. On a per post basis, this represents an increase from 21 comments per post to 26 comments per post.
So, who had the most to say last month?
1. It should come as no surprise to anyone that Nick from romandock dot com is among the most active commentators; he secured the top spot with 36 comments. Awhile back, Nick questioned how much time is wasted online with a variety of non-productive sites. It is quite interesting to think about when many of the people frequenting these sites complain that they have no time.
2. Yet another regular contributor, Andrea from According to Andrea, locked up the spot as the second most vocal with 25 comments. For those that don’t know, Andrea is working on a secret new project that I think some of you will really enjoy (yeah, I already know the secret).
3. The third most vocal community member, with 22 comments, is Nicole from Great Prices Here. Not too long ago, Nicole shared some great advice on how to save money on medication; given the current economy every little bit helps. In addition to Nicole’s tips, look at mail-order programs for additional savings.
4. Neil from Goodies For Free is the lone newcomer to the list of top commentators with 22 comments. Unfortunately for Neil, as I am writing this post I visited his site to try and include an additional link and instead I am greeted with an “Under Maintenance” screen. Doh!
5. Wrapping up the list of most vocal community members is Ling from Uptake with 16 comments. As we plan our next family vacation, I will certainly be talking to Ling for advice on where to stay. Given how much our kids enjoyed the beach on our trip to Florida, the Dunes Village Resort in Myrtle Beach sounds like it might fit the bill.
Thank you to not only these five active commentators but each and every one of you for your contributions and participation. It is encouraging to see not only the quantity but also the quality of comments continue to increase.
It was a great month – here is to an even better month in December!

Ling@Uptake December 2, 2008 at 12:39 am

Derek, you’re all milk and honey and links. Thanks a lot. πŸ™‚ Hope you can hit 500 plus comments in December, although a few people might not be all that active during the last week.

derek December 2, 2008 at 1:23 am

Lol, thanks for that interesting description! It will be a challenge to crack 500 comments with the holidays but hopefully we can do it.

Neil@PS3 December 2, 2008 at 12:50 am

Thanks for mentioning me derek. My site is back up and running and I haven’t even noticed an under maintenence screen. My host never told me there was any maintenence going on but oh well.
I really do enjoy reading the blog each and every day thanks

derek December 2, 2008 at 1:26 am

Neil, sorry about the timing of my post and your site being unavailable. I did just check and noticed it is all working now.
For those interested, you should check out the list of things that Neil has received for free. If I had any confidence in getting people to sign up for the offers, I’d give this a try myself.

Jessica W December 2, 2008 at 2:54 am

Growing quantity of comments is maybe the most positive achievement for every blog. Congratulations for that, it shows that you are on the right way, and that you are building healthy community and relationship with visitors.
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Jessica!
While the quantity is important, I also put a great deal of value on the quality of the comments – and that is where most of the people here are amazing!

Nick@romandock dot com December 3, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Yeah, I know I’m amazing…I do what can πŸ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Hey…I said “most” of the people, not all! πŸ˜‰

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:12 am

He meant me, DUH!

Khaled December 2, 2008 at 7:12 am

It’s good to hear that the comments are going up, does that also mean that the click through’s on your adverts has gone up or do you find the 2 aren’t related.

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:38 pm

In my experience, it hasn’t really impacted the CTR on any of the advertisements. It does impact the number of page views however.

Nick@romandock dot com December 3, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Of course it impacts the number of page views, we have to come back and see what you said in response to us and respond to your comments πŸ™‚
That said, if you weren’t so good at replying to comments, I doubt the rest of us would comment as much and also the pageviews would not be as high because we wouldn’t have any reason to come back to a post after commenting on it. To all of you who are just starting out or trying to increase comments: respond to the comments that you are getting!
From my experience, most bloggers are pretty good at doing this, but there are a few…
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Lol, I certainly try to respond to all of the comments and enjoy the back and forth dialog that develops as a result.
As a reader of other blogs, that is why I like the option of subscribing to comments via email (never have cared for RSS comments much) as that reminds me to come back to a post when there are additional comments.

Larry @ Metal Halide December 2, 2008 at 7:39 am

I have been away for awhile but im back and want the top 5!

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Good to see you back Larry! Hope you’ve been doing well.

RyanW December 2, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Lame!
Next month I want to see the bottom 5 commentators… then I have a chance…
RyanWs last blog post..Palm Revenue Way Short

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Lol, you have been close and if I remember correctly, you were in the top 10 this month. The bottom 5 would be a bunch of random names of people that were most likely just trying to get a free link back.

Nick@romandock dot com December 2, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for the link…and congrats on the overall increase in the number of comments. Although, I think the book giveaway may have skewed the results a wee bit.
I’m jealous, when does the rest of the world get to find out about Andrea’s new project?
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

Blog expert December 3, 2008 at 10:42 am

Is Derrick going for more comments? I definitely like someone that is trying to build a community.
Blog experts last blog post..3 Surefire Ways to Show You’re an Expert

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:43 pm

@Nick :: The contest post did skew things a bit and there will be a new contest post coming up soon! You’ll have to ask Andrea about that new project, I promised not to say anything.
@BE :: I am absolutely trying to build up a sense of community here and try my best to give back to that community in any way possible. Thanks for stopping by!

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:13 am

Yeah Nick, all ye have to do is ask! πŸ™‚

Nicole Price December 3, 2008 at 9:15 am

Thank you for the mention and the recommendation. Let me see if I can not make more comments in December.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Stylish Cookware

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm

You’re welcome Nicole! Hopefully the content gives you plenty of reason to share your opinions.

Blog expert December 3, 2008 at 10:40 am

Don’t forget you can always link to me. I will definitely be linking to your blog many times as you have a wealth of content here.
Blog experts last blog post..Kick StumbleUpons Ass (A Mini Guide to StumbleUpon)

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Thanks, I’ll see what we can do about the links in upcoming editions of Speedlinking – always looking for great posts to share with everyone.

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:15 am

Thanks for the link love, derek! I really appreciate it.
And as far as my secret, I am working on it. I just need more subjects to help me out! :p