10 People Worth Following On FriendFeed

by derek on December 2, 2008 · 24 comments

It started with a post at TwiTip, the new site started by Darren Rowse that is dedicated to providing twitter tips, that detailed the 10 people all twitter beginners should be following.
That lead to a challenge for readers of TwiTip to construct their own “Top 10 Must Follow” list. My entry was actually created nearly 8 months ago when I first signed up on twitter and I created The Ultimate List of Dads & Husbands on Twitter, which continues to grow.
Shortly after sharing my list as part of the challenge, I learned that a friend of mine that has just recently returned to blogging had included me on their list of top niche twitter users and also launched a new FriendFeed challenge to create a list of the people that you recommend following on FriendFeed.
While I have yet to use FriendFeed the way that it should be used, I have a nice group of people that I am able to follow and stay up to date with via FriendFeed. Among that group of people are the following 10 people that you should be following:

• Andy Beard – While I haven’t seen a blog update from Andy in quite some time, there is still plenty of value to be found in following the sites that Andy stumbles, diggs, and tweets. [ blog ]
  • Ange Recchia – Not only does Ange have a wealth of helpful and interesting sites to share, she also has a passion for helping people improve their financial intelligence (which I really dig). [ blog ]
  • Chris Brogan – Many of you likely know the name, but let me stress that following his blog and tweets will teach you so many things about this space. [ blog ]
  • Chris Garrett – After seeing the timely response from Chris regarding my issue with PerformancingAds, it should come as no surprise that I have learned a lot from following him on FriendFeed. [ blog ]
  • Gary Jones – Yeah, Gary is the man behind the hosting company that I use – BlueFur – and is always sharing great technology news and items of interest. [ blog ]
  • Internet Strategist – Always willing to share her knowledge with others and has taught me many things that have made me a better blogger and person. [ blog ]
  • Liz Strauss – Want to build a true community? Follow Liz for awhile and learn from one of the best. Attend SOBCon and you’ll stand to learn even more. [ blog ]
  • Maki – As the author behind the hugely successful blog DoshDosh, Maki is a brilliant guy that goes the distance to help other people improve their skills. [ blog ]
  • Shana Albert – Some of you might remember the name from this Speedlinking post. Shana is a prolific Stumbler and has plenty to share if you are willing to listen. [ blog ]
  • Tamar Weinberg – When it comes to social media, there aren’t too many people that will teach you more than Tamar. [ blog ]

Are you using FriendFeed? Who would be on your list of recommended people to follow? Create your own list, either in the comments below or on your own blog (be sure to come back and tell us about it), of 10 people that you recommend on FriendFeed.

Nick@romandock dot com December 2, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Well, I won’t be participating in this one…I was actually thinking about signing up for Twitter the other day, but with the amount of time I already spend on Facebook, my RSS reader, etc I’m not sure it would be a good idea for me to add Twitter to the list, it just seems like it would suck away the small amount of free time that I do have left.
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:57 pm

It can certainly consume a good deal of time (if you let it), although I’d still recommend creating a profile and beginning to build your presence there as well.
The key thing to remember though with any of these services is that you get out of it what you put into it.

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:19 am

I recently discovered Facebook and i am not longer productive at doing anything else. You should add me Nick, its my email addy that i use to communicate with you.
I never got the whole concept behind twitter, but i did try, ask derek.

Internet Strategist December 2, 2008 at 7:28 pm

I wanted to drop by in person to extend a warn thank you for being the first major blogger to submit their recommended FriendFeed Friends to the GrowMap FriendFeed challenge.
What a great list. I didn’t realize Shana was using FF and I too have missed Andy’s blogging. I didn’t know he was there either. I’m checking out the others you listed that I don’t know yet.
Hopefully other serious bloggers will follow your lead, understanding that participating benefits us all. Thanks again.

derek December 3, 2008 at 3:58 pm

You’re welcome, it was my pleasure to put this list together and my hope is that even one person is able to make a new connection with someone as a result.

Neil@PS3 December 3, 2008 at 12:51 am

Thanks for this derek. I have just joined twitter and although I am still trying to work out how to use it to my advantage I am sure this list will eventually mean something to me.

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Just to be clear, twitter and FriendFeed are entirely different things. The list that I have shared here is people on FriendFeed, although I believe each of these people is also on twitter.
Feel free to follow me on twitter: @dereksemmler

Hajib December 3, 2008 at 1:09 am

i have to register with friendfeed….

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Absolutely, it is a great way to stay connected with people and find a wealth of interesting information.

Ling@Uptake December 3, 2008 at 1:50 am

I don’t use friendfeed, but there’s a few people I keep track of, using friendfeed. Kinda keeps me in the loop without being a part of the loop. 🙂

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm

That is a great point to make, as FriendFeed is a great way to stay in the loop on what people are doing without necessarily having to participate everywhere on your own.

Jessica W December 3, 2008 at 3:19 am

I am still resisting to join them. I think i really wont enough time for them, because if i get “infected” like i got with Facebook, then i would must say bye to other really important jobs i need to do :).
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Personally, I am much more “infected” by sites like twitter or FriendFeed than I am with Facebook. Earlier this year, I had resisted signing up with twitter myself but I am extremely happy that I did finally sign up.

Khaled December 3, 2008 at 7:00 am

I have to be honest I don’t 100% understand the concept behind twitter but going to make it this evenings task to do some reading on it and possibly sign up. (Is friend feed a plugin or is it already enabled and easy to discover within the twitter interface?

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:08 pm

As mentioned above, twitter and FriendFeed are completely different services.
With FriendFeed, you are able to subscribe to your friends and receive a consolidated snapshot of what they are up to on other services, such as twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, etc.
Check it out and be sure to ask any questions that you have regarding either service.

Nicole Price December 3, 2008 at 9:13 am

No, I do not use Friend Feed. I am afraid that it will take up valuable time!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Stylish Cookware

Larry @ Metal Halide December 3, 2008 at 9:50 am

I love Andy’s blog. But your right, he needs to update

Blog expert December 3, 2008 at 10:38 am

Chris Brogan is definitely my favorite out of those guys. He even changed his blog theme yesterday. I do not like it as much as his old one but his content is great. I definitely follow his every move as he is such an inspiration to people trying to actually build a community on their blog.
Blog experts last blog post..Blog Headlines That Kick Ass

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I haven’t seen the new theme yet, as I am guilty of reading most of his content via RSS as opposed to visiting the blog. I’ll have to check it out, thanks for mentioning it.

Ange Recchia December 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Hi Derek, you never cease to amaze me with the link love you give. I’m grateful of course.
I have subscribed to the 5 I didn’t have so I was half way there. Thanks and I can’t believe from the comments above that there are still bloggers who do not use either Twitter or Friendfeed! I couldn’t live without them.
Have an awesome day!
Ange Recchias last blog post..Brenden Foster Leaving a Legacy at Age 11

derek December 3, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Ange, I’m a huge supporter of sharing copious amounts of link love. It is one of the reasons that I enjoy blogging as much as I do, sharing with other people and helping other people is the best.
It is surprising to see the number of people in this sampling that don’t use either service, although I can appreciate the resistance due to time constraints. With that said, I still strongly recommend joining and giving as much time as possible.

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:20 am

FriendFeed eh? I think I MAY try this, after i get over the newness of Facebook.