Flavor Saver :: Movember Recap

by derek on December 4, 2008 · 26 comments

During the month of November Movember, I was participating in a charity event to raise awareness, as well as funds, for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
As a reminder, Movember is an initiative to raise awareness for men’s health issues and as a Mo Bro, my participation required me to grow a Mo…a ‘stache…a flavor saver…a soup-stainer…well, I think you get the idea by now. Needless to say, my wife, who absolutely opposes facial hair, agreed that it was for a good cause so she would learn to live it with it, but only for the month.

Now, as I mentioned, part of this initiative was to raise funds for the charity selected to represent your home country (as this is an international event). During the month of Movember, I was able to raise $225 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
In addition, I made a few donations of my own – supporting Gary Jones and the team at BlueFur as well as our very own Mo Sista, Andrea.
Raising $225 for a worthy cause is great, although I had hoped it would have been a little more. Only one person from the world of my secret identity donated to the cause, even though I offered up some free advertising for anyone that donated. Even more disappointing was the lack of support from my family, as only my one cousin supported the cause with a donation.
Last but not least, I also need to give a quick thanks to Sara from Suburban Oblivion, as she was rockin’ the ‘stache in support of my participation with Movember.

Show Me The Mo

Now, as some of you might remember, I decided to rock the full on beard as opposed to just the ‘stache. When I shared the announcement of being named one of the 40 top bloggers, you caught the first glimpse of the beard.
Well, here is another quick shot of how the beard was looking as Movember came to an end.

Movember Beard

As the month went along, I have to say that I began to like the beard. Now some of you might say it looks bizarre to have a full beard and a shaved head, but I was diggin’ that as well. Plus, when I took the Harley out for a ride, I think the beard really completed the whole biker image.
With Movember coming to an end, I wasn’t quite ready to say goodbye to my new friend. So last night I took out the trimmer and hacked away at the beard until I came up with…

Movember Goatee

And to keep Michael Kwan company in the group of people who have mastered the trick of making their eyes disappear during pictures, here is another shot.

Movember Goatee

Before it is all said and done, I am planning to trim this up a little more to rock the fu manchu for at least a day or two. Then it will be goodbye to the facial hair until next year.

Wrapping Up And An Announcement

As a result of raising over $200 during Movember, I have received two complimentary tickets to the Gala Party being held in Chicago. This is a huge bash to celebrate Movember and thank everyone for their work in raising awareness and funds to support men’s health.
One of the sponsors of Movember, Canadian Club Whisky, has been gracious enough to donate a few prizes for me to give away as well. So be sure to stay tuned, as I will be giving the goods away in the next few days.
Thanks again to everyone for their support, although next year I’d like to see a few more people growing a ‘stache with me!

Michael Kwan December 4, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Are you sure you’re not actually Chinese? Where are those eyes? πŸ™‚
Michael Kwans last blog post..Beware of Collective Ignorance and Misunderstanding

derek December 4, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Lol, unless my parents have a family secret that they have managed to keep quiet for 33 years, I’m not Chinese. πŸ™‚

Ling@Uptake December 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Good work, Derek. And Michael has a valid point. Definite Oriental tilt. You want to check up on your family tree, I think. πŸ™‚

derek December 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm

The best is when I go to the eye doctor…they say to me, “Open your eyes really wide.”
And I tell them, “That is as wide as they go!”
If I make an effort to open my eyes in pictures, I end up looking creepy (or more creepy). πŸ™‚

Retirement communities December 5, 2008 at 2:57 am

What an informative blog this is……………..!

Larry @ Metal Halide December 5, 2008 at 7:15 am

Way to go!

Neil@PS3 December 5, 2008 at 7:15 am

Fantastic News and a great charity to raise money for. Well done Derek and keep up the good work.

derek December 5, 2008 at 8:57 am

Thanks!
Something that I forgot to mention in the post, which I felt made this even a little more personal to me, was that a friend that I have known since high school (but don’t see too often) told me that his dad is a survivor of prostate cancer.

Nicole Price December 5, 2008 at 7:43 am

It was a pleasure to support this worthwhile cause. I salute you for having undergone the full stretch.
You look elegant in all of them. Congratulations on getting those tickets too. Let us into the secret soon.

derek December 5, 2008 at 8:58 am

Thanks for the kind words! πŸ™‚

Andrea December 5, 2008 at 8:37 am

Youre hot, derek! Facial hair looks great on you!
I too was disappointed in the lack of my family’s support. I wrote several emails but it just fell on deaf ears. maybe next year……

derek December 5, 2008 at 9:57 am

My wife said that I was getting a big head after the Blog Blazers book came out and I was telling family/friends about it; now I’ve got women saying I am hot with the facial hair. Lol!
I’ve got to call my dad out, as he said he was going to donate but wanted to see what the Mo (or beard) looked like first. Well, he saw it but never made that donation.

Nick@romandock dot com December 10, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Your wife might be on to something…
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

Tom December 5, 2008 at 10:44 am

Oh my, you look SO HOT with a little hair on your face. What wouldn’t you do for a good cause.;)

derek December 5, 2008 at 11:25 am

Lol…um, yeah…thanks, I guess. Gotta go hide now.

Andrea December 9, 2008 at 8:32 am

I guess it sounded better coming from a girl?? LMAO

Cheryl Beckham December 8, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Well that certainly added some humor to your site, I had to send that one along with my email to my best friend for her to enjoy and most probably pass along also!
Cheryl Beckham
Cheryl Beckhams last blog post..Oh Baby it’s Cold Outside

aqiq@travel sickness December 8, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I wish that my community here had a awareness to do similar charity to help each other but in a third world country it is kind a hard.
aqiqs last blog post..Travel sickness

Nick@romandock dot com December 10, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Hmmm, I think that last picture certainly does wonders for your biker look…although, the others are pretty good too. I was hoping to see some 80’s style ‘stache shots though πŸ˜›
Nicks last blog post..Second Guessing My Permalink Structure

derek December 10, 2008 at 6:21 pm

Lol, I’ve had a few people comment that the beard (and now the goatee) really fit well with the biker look.
Before I get rid of the goatee, I’ll try to grab a few shots with some 80’s style looks. πŸ™‚

Nick@romandock dot com December 11, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Sounds like a plan…should be interesting πŸ˜€
Nicks last blog post..Housekeeping – December 2008

Cashmere Lashkari January 8, 2009 at 4:23 am

I was wondering about the “M”ovember slip. I thought you don’t make typos so I would check it out as there was bound to be more…and there it is. Good for you.

Danny@Hair Extension New York August 21, 2009 at 9:40 am

That is a great cause to raise money for. Chances are most men will be effected with some sort of prostate problems during the lives, so any support we can lend will benefit us all.