Helping Others :: Toys For Tots Bonus Round

by derek on December 18, 2008 · 20 comments

Those that are tuned into the social media space have no doubt witnessed the so called controversy surrounding sponsored posts about Kmart that a handful of extremely well-known bloggers published recently.
The blogger at the center of this controversy is Chris Brogan, who subsequently shared his thoughts regarding advertising and trust in response to this uproar. As Chris listed his reasons for participating in this program, you will note that one of his reasons was to buy toys to support the Toys for Tots program.
As it turns out, that original batch of toys went to a single mother that was facing a Christmas where she would not be able to buy anything for her boys. With his original intent still in mind, Chris decided to go shopping again so he could share the wealth with Toys for Tots – only this time he asked for the blogging and social media community if they wanted to participate as well.

The Community Steps Up

In roughly 20 minutes, Chris received donations of $500 and he has added his own $500 match to that amount. Seeing how much support Toys for Tots received when I asked all of you to name your favorite charities in my recent contest, I decided to join the cause as well.
As noted in the announcement of the Canadian Club contest winner, it is important to do what we can to help other people and try to do anything possible to bring the smile to the face of others, particularly children. Therefore, I would like to encourage you to join this initiative as well and make a donation to this Toys for Tots bonus round started by Chris Brogan.

Now, I understand that times are tough for many of us with the current state of the economy and not everyone is going to be able to make a donation. However, I would like to offer a small token of my appreciation to those that can make a donation.

You Win Too

The first five people that make a donation to Toys for Tots, and provide me with a screen shot of their donation receipt, will receive a free copy of the book Blog Blazers (which you will recall features a chapter by yours truly). Since I am unable to provide everyone that makes a donation with a copy of the book, I will also write a recap post that includes a note of thanks (and a link if you so wish) to anyone that contributes (and wants to be included).
The screen shot should look something like the following, which is an example of the receipt that I received after making my donation:

Toys for Tots Receipt

There are no expectations regarding the size of the donation – every dollar helps. Hopefully we can all do a little something extra to help make the holidays special for someone else.
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Franklin Bishop December 18, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I am happy you joined in.

derek December 19, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Thanks, I enjoy being able to help out when and where I can and this was one of those times.

Franklin December 18, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Every single year I donate to Make a Wish foundation. After having a neighbor that had her wish made, I can’t help but not donate. They really do make people’s wishes that deserve to have them made. I hope that Toys for Tots goes well, although I’m gonna continue my ritual.

derek December 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Agree, I have supported Make-a-Wish for a few years now and think they do a great job providing a chance to smile to people that really need it. Thanks for your support of a great cause.

Cashmere Lashkari December 18, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Wish we had something like this happening in my country.

Sarika@Dandruff Treatment December 18, 2008 at 11:36 pm

That is an extremely thoughtful gesture on your part. Spread the Xmas Cheer.
Sarikas last blog post..Underarm Hair Growth Retardant?

Ling@Uptake December 19, 2008 at 2:00 am

That’s really nice of you, Derek, with the Salavation Army Donation, and now this, especially when its the week before Christmas. I’m not really in a position to make donations, but seeing everything you’re doing makes me want to do something too. This charity bug is catching! ๐Ÿ™‚

derek December 19, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Catch that bug and make it a goal moving forward to help who you can – and it doesn’t have to be with money either, as spending time helping a charity can be just as valuable (if not more so).
The blog earnings have allowed me to be in a position where I can share a little extra and hope to do more of that throughout 2009 as well.

Neil@PS3 December 19, 2008 at 6:21 am

I will check my finances after my big christmas shop later today so that I can know how much I can afford to donate.
Great post derek and especially after the Salvation Army donation.
Thanks very much

derek December 19, 2008 at 6:25 pm

As I mentioned, every dollar can help so if you have even a dollar or two left after shopping, it would be appreciated.

Timon Weller December 19, 2008 at 7:16 am

Well done there and good on you for joining it.. ๐Ÿ™‚

derek December 19, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Thanks!

Nick@romandock dot com December 20, 2008 at 12:34 am

Wow, you’re just a giving fool this holiday season. I guess the bug really is contagious because I just made a donation.
Nicks last blog post..Chryslerโ€™s Temporary Plant Shutdown: My Quest For More Information – Part I

derek December 20, 2008 at 10:58 am

Thanks Nick! I’ve received your receipt and will get the book out after you send me your address.

Jordan@beach coverups December 22, 2008 at 11:10 am

Online is a great place to get donations and help people. Look how much Obama raised by doing online donations, its silly. I think if people could trust the source, then there would be a lot more people that would like to give.

Enkay Blog December 23, 2008 at 10:37 am

Toys for tots is a great program. For those of you in the continental US, some stores such as Walmart, Kroger, ShopRite, have boxes that allow you to actually drop off new and unused toys in the boxes. Its great for the kids who are less fortunate and they really appreciate it.
Enkay Blogs last blog post..Still Looking For Tips

pretend play school March 19, 2009 at 4:04 am

Congrats for joining in! That’s good..

Jody@Bakugan Gundalian Invaders June 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm

That’s really good Derek, on the last week I donated for local children health care service and I feel really delighted for that. ๐Ÿ™‚