Thesis Unveiled :: Threaded Web Redesign

by derek on December 23, 2008 · 20 comments

It was a little more than one week ago that the decision was made to purchase the Thesis WordPress theme from the crew at DIYThemes. With the Developer’s License in hand, I had told you that the theme was amazing but did not yet have the first site ready to view.
Well, after wrapping up a few of the loose ends, I now have my first implementation of the Thesis theme in a state that I am ready to share with all of you.

Threaded Web – The Redesign

A few months back, we had discussed the concept of rebranding a business and the idea was born to rebrand Threaded Web as a blog consulting company.
Fast forward to today and that idea has taken shape, along with a fresh redesign of the Threaded Web website. While the site is based on the Thesis theme, there has been a good deal of customization; as the goal was to dig into the theme a little more and tap into the true features of this robust theme.
Before I share my thoughts on the theme, it might be nice to do a little before and after comparison so you can see what Threaded Web was and what it has now become.

Threaded Web Before Thesis Theme
Threaded Web After Thesis Theme

As you can see, Threaded Web has a completely new look and is better positioned to become one of the leading blog consulting companies that can help people make the most of their Interweb presence.

Working With Thesis Theme

When we first discussed the Thesis theme, I had only scratched the surface of what one could do with this theme. After spending a little more time digging around, I am even more impressed as this theme is extremely well-designed.
While there is a good deal of customization that can be done within the administration panel due to the robust configuration options, you don’t get a real sense for the power of this theme until you dig down and begin to utilize the hooks that are built into the theme.
For the beginner that is comfortable making minor theme edits in the WordPress Theme Editor, you will likely be shocked with what you see.
As an example, assume that you want to make a quick update to something on the main index page of your blog. You navigate to the Theme Editor to update the code and this is what you see:

That’s right – that is the entire contents of the main index page.
That might be enough to make some people cry, as the thought of digging into code can be quite daunting. Personally, I think my eyes welled up a little as I recognized that this theme was designed to be customized and extended beyond the minor updates that many people make.
There is no question that the Thesis theme can be a little intimidating, but there is a wealth of knowledge in the support forums that can help you gain a basic understanding. In addition, you can always leverage the expertise of blog consultants that specialize in configuring, enhancing, and customizing blogs.

Thoughts On Redesign

Take some time to explore Threaded Web and let me know what you think of the redesign – all feedback is truly appreciated. It has been a nice change of pace to work on this redesign and I hope that you like it.
If you’ve been contemplating a new design for your own blog, I highly recommend that you consider the Thesis theme as this is one of the most well-designed themes that I have seen. While it isn’t a cheap option, you can build a custom design with this theme for far less than the cost of a truly custom theme.
What’s that?
You’re not comfortable doing that much customization?
No fear…that is where the professionals at Threaded Web can help out!

DIY Themes - Thesis

Damien December 23, 2008 at 5:03 pm

This is a service I will recommend to businesses and individuals looking for Wordpress blog design. Excellent job Derek.

derek December 23, 2008 at 6:50 pm

That would be fantastic Damien! Thanks for the feedback.

JLow December 23, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Timely advise, Derek.
I have been waiting for my payments of a particular “job” to come into Paypal to purchase Thesis; and the funds has just come in.
Will be looking out for more insights from you into how to exploit its features!

derek December 23, 2008 at 6:52 pm

I’ll try to share more tips on how to tweak this theme, as there are so many things that you can do. Once you get your hands on it, let me know what you think.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the theme, and feel free to purchase via one of my links. ๐Ÿ˜‰

JLow December 23, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Oh! Thanks for the heads up- will do!
JLows last blog post..A float that is also a spare tyre

Ling@Uptake December 24, 2008 at 2:15 am

The Threaded Web site looks really nice. Simple and attractive. Much better than it looks in the screen shot above. I’ve been thinking about some design changes to Trip How, but I’d rather get it done for free, than ask for a ‘design budget’. What with the recession and all, non-necessary expenditures are kinda low priority now… ๐Ÿ™‚

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:05 am

Yeah, I can understand that as I know something like this would get zero support at my current employer.

Jessica W December 24, 2008 at 2:34 am

I like the new design and theme. Although it is completely powered by WP, the first page doesn’t leave such a feeling, it looks more like a normal site. And that is what i prefer.
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. It was a goal to have the blog be a secondary feature of Threaded Web and have it be more of a traditional (aka static) site that happens to be powered by WP.

Neil@PS3 December 24, 2008 at 7:03 am

Thats nice derek. I will look into having these people make me a dedicated theme for my new site.
Thanks a lot.

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:07 am

By “these people”, do you mean Threaded Web? If so, I just want to clarify that I am one of the people behind Threaded Web. So let me know.

Nicole Price December 24, 2008 at 9:27 am

The before and after way of showing the difference is really very effective. Mine, as you probably know is a simple little blog with which I am quite comfortable. I shall however recommend this to a few of my friends who are on to bigger things. Thanks.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Tips to Save Money During the Holidays

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:07 am

Thanks Nicole!

Nick@romandock dot com December 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm

That looks pretty cool! Hearing some of what you have to say about this theme (both this post and your previous one) makes me want to develop my own theme…I got a lot to learn first though ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Violent Video Games and Violent Behavior – Correlation: Not Cause and Effect

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:08 am

I’ve had a note on my list to work on my own custom theme as well for longer than I care to admit. But everything else always seems to take priority and now with how I can customize Thesis, I will likely push it even further down the list.

Article Marketing Blog February 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I had been thinking about moving to thesis for a few weeks now, but wasn’t sure as I had just done the whole revolution theme thing. But I like to do a lot of tweaks myself and do not like to depend on others which is the road that revolution was leading down to.
So thanks for the encouragement in this post. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase the theme and slowly move over all my sites to the theme. I’m all for making things simple and getting better code.
I look forward to your recommendations for tweaks etc.
Article Marketing Blogs last blog post..Article Ideas From Everyday Conversation

Brian Child February 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I have the Thesis running as well – and love it. You have done a good job with modding yours.