Scrooge :: eBay Partner Network

by derek on December 24, 2008 · 16 comments

In an effort to make money online, there is one thing that is crucial to your success and we have talked about it numerous times on this blog.
What is that one thing?
Or maybe I should say three things.
Test. Test. Test.
Test new tools – think about how many people put AdSense ads on their blog and never experiment with other tools or sources of revenue. The key factor that has allowed me to build up my income from blogs has been the willingness to test new tools.
Test new placements – once you have found a tool that works well, your work is not done. It is important to regularly test the implementation of the tool to see what placement allows you to maximize your return.
Test different audiences – what works on one blog will not always work on another blog. For instance, my personal finance blog does extremely well with AdSense ads whereas this blog hardly made anything when I had AdSense ads on every post.
So what does this have to do with the eBay Partner Network?
Well, as mentioned above, I am regularly following these steps to try and squeeze as much revenue out of my blogs as possible. After reading about a new eBay WordPress plugin on John Chow’s blog, I had a few ideas on how I might be able to leverage this plugin to try and make some money.
Once I downloaded the free eBay WordPress plugin and began to read through the information, I realized that I had never signed up for the eBay Partner Network.

Denied By Scooge McEbay

Apparently the eBay Partner Network will not be a viable tool for me to make any money via my blogs, as I recently received the following email:

eBay Partner Network

Now, you might remember that I had a similar experience when I had signed up for Market Leverage and had been denied not once, but twice. After sharing that experience, I did subsequently gain approval for an account at Market Leverage.
Will the same hold true with the eBay Partner Network?
Well, I would be grateful if things did work out that way but I will not be holding my breath for a reversal on their decision. Apparently the eBay Partner Network has taken a page out of Scrooge’s book and did not want to share any of the holiday cheer with me.
That’s too bad, as I had a few ideas on how to implement this new plugin that would have been fun to test and share with all of you.

Ling@Uptake December 24, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Well, don’t get too sad about it. I’m sure they’ll reconsider, especially if this post gets noticed. Maybe you could also twitter about it. And try to keep a link to this post right at the top of the blog until the eBay people panic and send you an invite to join their network.

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:10 am

Lol, I’d like to think that I have that much sway but I am not expecting that to happen. But I do plan on digging into this a little to see if I can get my account approved.

Nicole Price December 27, 2008 at 8:36 am

Way to go Derek. Do not give up! Perhaps it is just a machine responding to you!!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Merry Christmas!

Jessica W December 25, 2008 at 3:17 am

Too bad. Maybe you should try again with different site ?
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:10 am

Possibly, although without any idea of their criteria, I doubt any of my other sites would gain approval either.

Damien December 26, 2008 at 1:34 pm

That happens to you too? 😉 You might shoot an email over sometimes people know better than the bots.
Damiens last blog post..The Christmas Ham [Home Video]

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:11 am

It sure does, lol. I’ll be sure to share an update once I have a chance to contact them.

Nick@romandock dot com December 26, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I don’t know that I’ve ever signed up with them either. I should check on that, I downloaded the plugin as well but haven’t had a chance to look at it yet.
Best of luck getting their decision reversed! Maybe a friendly call to customer service/tech support will help solve that problem?
Nicks last blog post..Violent Video Games and Violent Behavior – Correlation: Not Cause and Effect

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:12 am

I thought that I had signed up for an account once before but apparently I never did. With this snafu, I will now have to wait a little longer to experiment with this plugin too.

Neil@PS3 December 27, 2008 at 5:41 am

Not a Great loss when you seem to be doing well with the Amazon associates.
Just to let you know my PS3 News site is nearly up and running. You can check it out at http://blog.freeplaystationthree.com

derek December 27, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Cool, I’ll keep an eye on that site. Here are a couple of things I just noticed in poking around:
1) The link to the “Pingback Test” article results in a 404 error. The other article works okay though.
2) On the main page, the “Abba PS3 Review” post indicates that there are no comments, however when viewing the individual post I see that there is a comment.
3) Formatting of the 404 page is not consistent with the site, the “Misc Information” box is pushed down below the content rather than in the right sidebar.
4) The “Misc Information” box is hard to read with the current color combination.

Scott March 7, 2009 at 3:48 pm

We have a great idea that will bring high quality traffic to eBay, but I can’t seem to get accepted into the eBay Partner Network. Been denied twice. Sure would like to know what the secret is to getting accepted.
– Scott

Angel@abba fancy dress November 20, 2009 at 5:22 am

Ebay is so hard to get into. I know alot of people that have tried but been rejected. its almost as if ebay does not want to increase its sales and exposure.

blogging May 5, 2010 at 4:40 pm

eBay Partner Network is a Scam IMO…
11,025 impressions
385 clicks
$5.72 in Earnings
.01 EPC
Their “math” doesn’t even add up right…
Screw’m, I’m not wasting another second with their PPC crapola

tom@cowgirl fancy dress August 16, 2010 at 11:38 am

I have lots of high traffic websites that could make ebay alot of money but they won’t qaccept the application? Any tips for getting accepted anyone?

jj@make money on ebay November 18, 2011 at 5:48 am

even i had the same problem. eventually i gave up!