Ho Ho Ho :: Was Santa Good To You?

by derek on December 26, 2008 · 24 comments

Christmas has come and gone for another year. The wrapping paper that was so delicately folded and taped has been shredded by eager hands – and the kids had fun too!
Unlike previous years, our kids really were not asking for much of anything this year. Our oldest had asked for books (he absolutely loves to read) and our youngest simply wanted to be surprised (I had wondered how surprised he would be to receive nothing).
Also, with an eye on our finances, my wife and I did not exchange any lavish gifts like we did last year (well, kind of…you’ll see in a minute).

So What Did Santa Bring?

Even though we had received the Nintendo Wii from Santa just last year, Santa clearly recognized that the 52″ Sony LCD that we bought back in September was lacking a critical component so he brought us a new PlayStation 3.
This is a multi-purpose gift too, as the kids get the games (or so I tell my wife) and we get the Blu-ray movie capability as a bonus.
In addition to the Playstation 3, Santa left a nice collection of games and Blu-ray movies (such as The Dark Knight) to get us started and provide hours of entertainment.

What Was That About Lavish Gifts?

As I mentioned earlier, my wife and I did not really exchange any significant gifts. There were a few small items that she wanted, and while I told her that there was nothing I wanted, she managed to get me a couple of small things too.
Now, while these were not under the Christmas tree, we did just buy ourselves two of the HTC Android G1 phones through T-Mobile.
This is a huge departure from the norm, as I tend to always take whatever phone is free and have not paid for a cell phone in, well, forever. Our existing Samsung t09 phones (yeah, go ahead and try to find someone selling those anymore) have been losing the charge much sooner and the screen on our Motorola “home” phone has been blacking out.
So while we were out doing some last minute shopping over the weekend, we stopped in our local T-Mobile store to see what they had. We went back and forth and my wife felt it was too much money to spend on phones. While I cannot say that I didn’t agree, I felt we could use a phone that was a little more current.
So far, I am quite impressed. The web browsing is fantastic – I’m actually planning to write a post from the G1 soon just to give it a try – and the integration with Gmail is great, as are some of the applications like ShopSavvy.

Time For Family

While we enjoy our new gifts and the time that we have to spend with one another, I wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you as well for being a part of this extended family. May you all have a healthy and happy holiday season.
Please be safe and enjoy the time you have with family, friends, and loved ones as we near the end of 2008.

Blog Expert December 26, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I got a Canon SLR camera!
Blog Experts last blog post..5 Blog Ranking Tips

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:18 am

Awesome! Have you been snapping pictures like crazy? I’m still trying to learn how to utilize the features of my DSLR, lol.

Charlie on PA Tpk@Nobody asked me, but... December 26, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Amoung the spoling of our two boys, my much-better-half and I bought the family a Wii and Wii-Fit… something everyone can enjoy.
She didn’t want the Wii Fit, originally, since it was an extra $~$120, so I went out and got it anyway.
A splendid time was had by all, and tomorrow we’re off to aunt and uncles, and on Sunday my parents… so the fun continues!
Charlie on PA Tpks last blog post..Christmas Time is here

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:20 am

How did you find the Wii Fit? I’d been looking for that myself and couldn’t find it anywhere. The Wii is a lot of fun; one my favorite games is the Wii Sports that comes with the console. I’ll battle my boys in the various sports and we always have a good itme.
Enjoy visiting the family and stay safe!

Zac Johnson December 26, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Christmas was good. I got some sweet court side tickets to 76ers vs. Suns in Feb 🙂
Zac Johnsons last blog post..Hulk Hogan Knows Affiliate Marketing

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:22 am

Hey Zac, that sounds like a really cool present! I’ve never been that close to an NBA game. Heck, I’m usually up in the nose bleed seats.
I’ll be tuning in to hear how you like the experience!

Damien December 26, 2008 at 1:31 pm

We had a humbler yet still robust gifting Christmas. We got our son his first “AXE BODY SPRAY” since he’s ummm well 10 and needing it 🙂 LOL. We also got him this mp3 player/video called “ZEN.” He’s watching Tropic Thunder on it right now LOL.
Got Sarah a pendant with 7 diamonds signifying our 7th Christmas married. She got me a killer stereo with an MP3 and USB input for my car. I posted a YouTube of me showing it off on my personal blog.
The girls were easy … tea party stuff … candy … Princess stuff LOL. An Elmo kitchen. Who says we’re in a recession???? I’m very thankful this year.
Damiens last blog post..The Christmas Ham [Home Video]

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:24 am

With a 10 year old of my own, I can fully appreciate the Axe body spray (which is something my son has as well, lol).
It sounds like you guys had a fantastic Christmas. Now I need to go check out that YouTube video!

Nick@romandock dot com December 26, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Be sure to let us know more about that phone after you use it for awhile 🙂
The PS3 sounds nice, but I doubt I’d get enough use out of something like that to make it worth having :S I guess it would be pretty cool to have the Blu-Ray capability though.
Nicks last blog post..I Found Two More Feeds To Subscribe To

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:27 am

Will do, so far I absolutely love the phone. My wife cannot stop playing with the ShopSavvy app that lets her scan a barcode and it returns a list of local stores and websites with the prices.
As a matter of fact, we used that today at Target when the kids wanted to buy a PS3 game. It was $19.99 and when I scanned it, the next cheapest price found was $29.99 so I told the kids it looked like a pretty good deal.
With the PS3, it really is a win-win as the kids get the game system and I get the Blu-ray player. Plus I play the games every now and then myself (I am loving MotorStorm Pacific Rift right now).

Ling@Uptake December 26, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Lots of Playstation games coming out now. I dare say its not only your kids who’re going to be playing the games. If you start playing, you’ll probably get hooked on it, and have no time left for blogging. 🙂

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:28 am

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the games are only 1-player games, unless you are playing online. We don’t let the kids play online at all, so right now we are trying to find more multi-player games that they can play together.
I do play as well, but limit my time spent (or at least try to).

Nick@romandock dot com December 27, 2008 at 9:34 am

Just consider it research and then blog about your experience with some of the different things 🙂
Nicks last blog post..I Found Two More Feeds To Subscribe To

Kelvin Kao December 27, 2008 at 1:18 am

Our family didn’t really do Christmas gifts. I prefer to just give people stuff throughout the year if I feel like doing it. I do like the whole Christmas atmosphere though!
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Ugly Muppet Toy Pageant 2008

derek December 27, 2008 at 2:31 am

That is kind of my attitude too. Christmas is actually one of my least favorite holidays as I think people get too consumed with the material aspects of the holiday and lose sight of the things that are truly important.

Neil@PS3 December 27, 2008 at 5:45 am

I got driving lessons. I was glad because I have saved up 3 times to earn to drive and then something else more importatnt has cropped up and I have had to use the money so the fact that people have actually bought the lessons will mean I can finally do them.

Nicole Price December 27, 2008 at 8:40 am

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we had a very subdued and quiet Christmas this time around.
Glad you had a good time.
All the best for the new year!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Merry Christmas!

Jessica W December 29, 2008 at 3:37 am

It’s great to see that Santa was generous with you, although your family didn’t have any special wishes. I am sure the kids are happy, and that is most important.

Andrea December 29, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Santa was very good to me this year. The coolest things I got was a great photo printer and a 70-300mm lens for my Nikon. Totally awesome.

Odzyskiwanie Danych December 30, 2008 at 7:25 am

Santa was extremely good this year, so good he deserves a big gift under his christmas tree 😉
Too bad my family stopped trying to figure out what I wanted . When I tell them, there is no surprise! Then again, what is better: a surprise gift that might not be right or something you want and have to act surprised about when you get it ?

Susan@Oceanside December 31, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Santa was good to the whole family in my house!
Susans last blog post..Top Broadway Tickets for the Week

Steve@Free iPods January 3, 2009 at 11:55 am

We had just ordered a new kitchen and decided not to go mad with presents.
Santa did bring me one or two bits though. The best was a voucher for a traditional barber – wet shave with cut throat razor and hair cut 🙂

Cashmere Lashkari January 8, 2009 at 4:40 am

Congrats on all the cool loot. I had Santa bring me some great stuff too.