Happy New Year :: The Day To Start Fresh

by derek on January 1, 2009 · 43 comments

Happy New Year - Start Fresh

Happy New Year!
As the calendar has changed from 2008 to 2009, many people will be looking at New Year’s Day as the day to start fresh with the new year.
While I am not one to consume myself with the idea of New Year’s Resolutions, I do find myself enjoying the turn of the calendar. Much like the fiscal year of a business, I like to think of the fiscal year of life.
Start fresh and…

• …leave behind the mistakes of the previous year.
  • …renew efforts to be even more helpful to others.
  • …refine the household budget as needed.
  • …anticipate the new relationships that will be made, and those that will be made stronger, in the coming year.

The possibilities are endless!
Whether you will be making New Year’s Resolutions or simply turning the calendar to start a new year, I would like to take a moment to thank you all for the great conversations and interactions that we have enjoyed together and wish you all nothing but the best in the coming year.
Here is to a healthy and happy new year for everyone!
Photo courtesy of nickfarr

Damien January 1, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Great post Derek. I certainly hope you your wife and kids are all excited about 2009 it is an open canvas!
One of my goals for 2009 is to attend BlogWorld09. Who knows maybe we’ll finally meet up for a pint ๐Ÿ˜‰
Happy New Year
Damiens last blog post..Blog Tips I Picked Up Doing Blog Reviews

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Thanks Damien!
I’m going to be shooting for BlogWorld09 myself so that would be great if you are able to make it this year too. Maybe I will even be fortunate enough to run a contest again this year to give away a pass to the conference!

Raphnix January 2, 2009 at 2:43 am

You’re the first one I got stumbled upon to have the start for your new year’s blog. Keep it up and congrats. Happy New Year!
Raphnixs last blog post..Crimes And Psychic Detectives

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Cool, thanks for stopping by and for the comment!

Ling@Uptake January 2, 2009 at 3:17 am

I’m not too big on New Year resolutions either. But that’s mostly because I found I’m no good at keeping them, and then you feel that you’re a no-good bum. Best to start the year in the expectation that its going to be totally wasted. That way, whatever little you finally manage is a bonus. ๐Ÿ™‚

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Lol, that is one way to look at it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

John@Apply for a credit card January 2, 2009 at 9:06 am

Happy New Year. Started reading your blog about a month ago and will continue in 2009

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Thanks John! I am happy to hear that you are a relatively new reader and have found the content to warrant becoming a “regular” here.

Terry January 2, 2009 at 9:27 am

Happy New Year Derek!
Terrys last blog post..My one Christmas regret

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Thanks, you too!

Nicole Price January 2, 2009 at 9:30 am

Thank you. Wish you and your family too a very happy and prosperous new year.
Nicole Prices last blog post..New Year Resolutions to Help You Save Money

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Many thanks Nicole and much the same for you!

Neil@PS3 January 2, 2009 at 10:57 am

Great post derek. I have made 2 new year resolutions this year. One is to complete my programming courses and the second is to learn to drive.
I had my first driving lesson this morning and really enjoyed it so have book in my next 9 hours of lessons straight away.
I have also downloaded all my course material onto my new laptop and have downloaded the offline player so I can do my course on the train on the way to work so I am starting it the right way.
Good luck to everyone for the new year. May it be a good and prosperous one.

derek January 2, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Neil, that is great progress on your two primary goals. What type of programming courses are you taking?

Neil@PS3 January 4, 2009 at 3:56 am

I am studying the MCTS in C# .net 2.0 and 3.0.
It is basically Web Application design and programming and I hope to use it to help with my own web development as well as getting a better job.
I really need to get my nose to the grindstone to get it done in 12 months but it is possible.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 2, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I made a whole bunch of resolutions… they lasted all of 5 minutes. Anyway, as I am rather new here (only been reading it for a couple of weeks) I can honestly say that I’m anticipating this new relationship ๐Ÿ™‚
Best of luck in 2009. I definitely plan on sticking around the blog.
Jesses last blog post..Online Tutoring: Scope of State-Private Partnership

derek January 3, 2009 at 12:00 am

Jesse, thanks and welcome to the blog! It will be great to see you around and get to know you a little more as well.
Be sure to jump in on the Q&A if there is anything that you want to know about me.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

Thanks, I’ll try to come up with a few questions and check it out.
Jesses last blog post..All Amazing Articles ยป 40 Unusual Websites you should Bookmark

CvilleBirder@DJ Consoles and Music Mixers January 2, 2009 at 3:34 pm

This is a well-written & interesting blog – hope you’ll be writing alot in 2009 and sharing new ideas.
Best wishes to everyone for a happy and peaceful 2009.
CvilleBirders last blog post..Numark Introduces New DJ Mixers and Turntables for iPod Users and Vinyl Collectors

derek January 3, 2009 at 12:01 am

Thanks for the compliments and I certainly plan to be writing a good deal in 2009. As always, shoot me a note if there is anything in particular that you would like to see discussed on the blog.

Nick@romandock dot com January 2, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Here’s to fresh starts! 2008 wasn’t very good for my blog in general, but I’m hoping things will be better in 2009 (although, by not posting today I’m already not off to a very good start!)
I like how you said you were going to be more helpful to others as I may be asking for some assistance with some projects in the coming months. Also, I hope to be able to provide more assistance to others this year as well.
Nicks last blog post..Goals For 2009

derek January 3, 2009 at 12:04 am

No hoping about it, 2009 will be better! I know that you can reach your goals.
Look forward to hearing from you about your upcoming projects, I’d be happy to help as much as possible.

Steve@trade show displays guru January 2, 2009 at 6:33 pm

hi Derek,
I like your attitude. I don’t make resolutions either because I seldom keep them. That said, there is a quote from KungFu Panda that I posted on my blog and that I intend to live (more) by this year:
“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, which is why it is called the Present.”
Carpe Diem!
~ Steve, aka the optimistic trade show displays guru
Steves last blog post..How to Discipline your Children – A Better Way

derek January 3, 2009 at 12:06 am

Thanks Steve!
I’ve got a quote sitting here on my desk that will play into my approach to 2009 as well. I’ll likely be sharing that quote in the next week or two, so be sure to stay tuned for that.

Steve@trade show displays guru January 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

hey Derek,
Nice little teaser. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yes, I will stay tuned. Any hints on the quote?
~ Steve, aka the wondering trade show displays guru
Steves last blog post..How to Discipline your Children – A Better Way

Peter Morrow January 2, 2009 at 7:17 pm

The new year is a good way to psychologically turn the page. I’m pumped for this year..should be a good one!
Peter Morrows last blog post..Kubina and Antropov to Columbus…Could it go Down?

derek January 3, 2009 at 12:07 am

Absolutely, even though it is just another day, beginning a new year can be a great psychological boost and provide added motivation/inspiration.

Steve@Free iPods January 3, 2009 at 11:47 am

My only resolution this year (again!) was to get fit.
Would you recommend the 100 push up challenge Derek? My only worry is that my back isn’t the best after having a disc out in November 2007.

derek January 5, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Steve, I think it is worth trying the program but I don’t think it alone is going to get you fit. I never was able to get through the program, although it did kick me into gear and I have since resumed lifting with weights again.

Steve@Free iPods January 6, 2009 at 2:38 am

I guess I will have to combine it with some cardio work but that can be so tedious (:
No pain, no gain though!

wilson January 4, 2009 at 4:34 am

Happy New Year, Derek and may all your dreams come true in this 2009 ๐Ÿ™‚
wilsons last blog post..Happy New Year 2009!

derek January 5, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Thanks Wilson and right back at ya!

Paull Hamilton January 5, 2009 at 7:35 am

I am a relative newbie to blogging and as such think I need all the help I can get. This is my first visit to your site but I am sure it won’t be my last. I find New Year resolutions hard too, I make them all in good faith, but they soon fall by the wayside I am sorry to say. The one I will certainly keep though is to work as hard as I possibly can to make a success of blogging, I want to make it my sole income provider if possible and I intend to give it all I’ve got to make sure this happens. Happy New Year.

derek January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Welcome Paull, thanks for stopping by! Browse through some of the older posts to catch up on things and always feel free to ask questions.

Jessica W January 5, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Thank you ! Happy New Year to you also! Best wishes and success in all your career efforts!
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Thanks!

Aleksey@Car Electronics January 5, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Turning of calendar is more simple then turning of life year. It is not easy to realize that you become one year elder… ๐Ÿ˜‰ But from the other site life is going and we should rejoice that we still can see the sun, sky etc. A Happy New year and a Happy New President! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Alekseys last blog post..Car GPS New

Aleksey@Car Electronics January 5, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Derek, please correct my previous link. Replace
“Fireplace Store” to “Car Electronics”. I would appreciate it. Thanx.

derek January 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm

You touch on something pretty important there – no matter how bad things feel, we still have plenty to be happy about as we make it through each day.
Fyi, I updated your link too. ๐Ÿ™‚

James @ women fashion dresses January 7, 2009 at 12:18 am

New Year is a great time to start fresh. I love to think about my new goals. And for this year I hope to look at them more on a regular bases. Happy New Year!

Cashmere Lashkari January 8, 2009 at 4:33 am

I wish you a great new year. And hope that success dogs every move you make. Plus that you share it with us and so we learn a bit more from your generosity.
Cashmere Lashkaris last blog post..Bargain Shoe Shops: Berry, Dawar, Ideal and Chor Baba

Cashmere Lashkari January 8, 2009 at 4:34 am

For my own self I wish to finally start writing that cookbook I’ve been threatening to for so long. If only I had a publisher…I work much better when I have a deadline that is not self imposed.