Q&A Round 8 :: The Answers

by derek on January 7, 2009 · 41 comments

Neil from PS3 asks:

My question is…..
If you could meet anyone from history or the present who would it be and why?
Just read the questions from Round 6 and Steve @ Free iPods asked why Americans have the World Series but it only involves one country.
It is because it was originally sponsored by The World Newspaper and therefore took the name the World Series. It kept the name because of the popularity and now people believe it should include world teams but that was never the case.
Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon derek.
Derek: Wow…that is a really tough question and there are numerous people that I would really like to meet. While you don’t say so explicitly, I am assuming that you are looking for me to name one person. Narrowing it down to one person, I think I would select Abraham Lincoln as I believe he has been the best President that the United States has ever seen, he was an outstanding leader, he stood up for his beliefs and he had an amazing impact on the history of this country.

However, as I mentioned there are so many people that I would love to meet so I will include a few additional names from various genres: Charles Darwin, Gandhi, Friedrich Nietzsche, Richard Dawkins, Thomas Jefferson, Bill Clinton, Lars Ulrich, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Jerry Reinsdorf, George Halas…I could go on for a long time.

In addition to that, I think it would be really cool to meet members of my family that I have never known, such as my great-grandparents, and to meet my parents (being an adult as opposed to a child) when they were in their 20s and early-30s.

Steve from Free iPods asks:

My Question is….
If you were a casual visitor to this blog, what question would you ask yourself, and why?
Derek: As a casual visitor, I’d most likely ask a fairly general question about the topic that brought me to this blog. Maybe something like: How likely do you see yourself making anything more than a supplemental income from blogging? Another question that comes to mind: What steps are you taking to achieve your goals in 2009?

Now, as someone that has been around the blog for a longer time and has a flavor for the person behind the blog, I might ask something a little different, maybe more personal, such as:

• How did you meet your wife?
  • What attracted you to a career in the IT industry?
  • What is one life experience you would like to have a mulligan?
  • What is your most embarrassing moment?

Nicole Price asks:

What impact if any, is the downturn likely to have on your personal life?
Derek: I guess it will really depend on how long (and how much worse) this down economy lasts. As of right now, it has not really had an impact on my personal life as I strongly believe in the necessity of living below your means.

Should things continue to get worse, there are luxuries in our budget that could easily be eliminated – things such as the premium channels on cable (or cable entirely), Netflix, newspaper and magazine subscriptions, dining out. Beyond that, we could cut back on how much money we direct into savings for long-term things such as college and retirement.

Fortunately, we are in a position that we don’t carry any consumer debt other than our mortgage and that has helped insulate ourselves from the declining economy. Clearly our retirement savings have taken a bath and if we were at retirement age right now, that would be more of a problem – but overall I don’t see any drastic changes ahead for us (knock on wood).

Steve the trade show displays guru asks:

hi Derek,
Hmmmm…
I’d ask what I should get my wife for Christmas, but it’s a little late for that.
I’d ask what the meaning of life is, but I’m guessing that question is above your pay grade.
I’d ask how I get my 6 year old daughter to wake up on her own for school in the morning, but I doubt anyone can answer that…
So I’ll just ask, what is printed on the post-it notes (i.e. the five-post it notes that you wrote S T A R T on).
~ Steve, aka the out-of-the-box-or-out-of-his-mind trade show displays guru
PS. Or maybe that could be a contest to see if anyone can read what is on them… ๐Ÿ™‚
Derek: Well, apparently you aren’t aware of my pay grade as I answered the meaning of life in an earlier session. Lol.

With regard to the post-it notes, Nick answered that in a follow-up comment (The Linton Company) and I agree with what he saw on the notes.

Andrea asks:

Dont hold anything back, eh??
Hmm…what can i ask….think, think….
Derek: Are you still thinking? I never saw a question from you… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nick from romandock dot com asks:

I agree Andrea, and would like to echo these sentiments…guess I’ll have to think of a question and come back later to ask it!
Derek: You too…still thinking?

Ling from Uptake asks:

Any thoughts on Net Neutrality? Seems to be a very hot subject for debate, and one of critical importance for the future of the internet and its ordinary users.
Derek: In all honesty, I haven’t really given this topic a great deal of thought.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 7, 2009 at 9:39 pm

But, how do I get my girlfriend up in the morning?!?! That was the most important question! Seriously, how do the lazy ones in our life out of bed?
“I strongly believe in the necessity of living below your means.” I wish more people would take this seriously. It bothers me when I see people buying things they can’t afford. I don’t really know how to explain it, but it really just… bothers me. There would be far fewer out there struggling to make ends meet if there wasn’t this crazy need for extravagant things. Has anyone else seen “Til Debt Do Us Part?”. Kind of annoying show, but that’s what it’s about. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Jesses last blog post..Pupils in Nepal conquer fear of computers

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:49 am

Lol, sorry for not addressing the ability to get people up in the morning. I’m not a morning person myself and really struggle to scrape myself out of bed when the alarm goes off before 5am.
Regarding the finances, I too wish more people understood the importance of spending less than you earn. Something I found interesting (and a bit sad) recently while visiting the local cable store to exchange an HD cable box, each customer in front of me in line was there to ask how much they had to pay to avoid having their service turned off. Doh! When you cannot pay the bill, that is a luxury that you cannot afford.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:47 am

This reminds me of an anecdote I was once told where one member of a relationship gave the other the money to go pay the electric bill as it was past due and they needed to get it paid in order to avoid the electricity from being turned off…instead, the spouse decided it was more important to pay the cable bill because the cable was going to be shut off that day if they didn’t get it paid…figure that logic out!
The thing that amuses me about people like the ones you describe is that they can’t afford to pay the bill until it comes down to the question they were there for, then they always seem to have just enough to make the payment…
I’ll bet the person at the cable company was glad to get to talk to you and deal with something a little bit more enjoyable for a few moments of change ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Well, I don’t know how happy she was to talk to me as I complained about their activation fee for a new HD box – hey, I am cheap. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Depends on how you complained, were you nice and accepting while questioning it or were you throwing a fit? As many financial advisors/planners will tell you, it’s surprising how much money you can save and what kind of breaks you can get just for simply asking/complaining. However, you generally don’t get too far if you throw a fit while doing it…there seems to be a fine line between being persistent enough to get it and just becoming a nusience and not figuring out that you’re just not going to be able to get what you want for whatever reason.
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I’ve learned a few tricks over the years on how best to complain, and by no means does that involve throwing a fit. Over on the finance blog, I’ve written a few posts on what you can get simply by asking.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 11, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Finance blog? I’m still a little new here, and maybe I should go find it myself, but I’ll just ask… What’s the address? I wouldn’t mind checking it out. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Jesses last blog post..SoLinkable Blog ยป SoLinkable upgrades

derek January 12, 2009 at 2:24 pm

No problem, my apologies for not sharing a link at the time but here is my personal finance blog.

Cashmere Lashkari January 8, 2009 at 4:16 am

I love your Ques and Answer sessions with your readers. They are so interactive and entertaining.
Cashmere Lashkaris last blog post..Bargain Shoe Shops: Berry, Dawar, Ideal and Chor Baba

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:53 am

Glad to hear that you like them.
However, due to the feedback that people are running out of things to ask, I was planning to suspend this feature for awhile.
How often would you guys like to see these Q&A sessions?

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:48 am

Ummm, for lack of a better answer I was going to say how about quarterly…but that doesn’t seem like very often…hmmmm
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Maybe bi-monthly?

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Works for me ๐Ÿ˜€
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Neil@PS3 January 8, 2009 at 7:26 am

Thanks for answering my question derek. Abe Lincoln would be a good person to meet. Also some of your other ones such as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs would be good.
Thanks for the Q&A sessions they really help me feel like I really am part of a community here

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:54 am

There were so many names that came to mind that I would like to meet, but Lincoln was the one that kept jumping to the top of the list.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:52 am

Good call for drawing from a variety of genres.
The one I liked though was not just a who but when…the one about your parents.
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Glad to hear that you liked that one – you see pictures of your parents when they were younger and you wonder what it would have been like to know them then.
Taking a step back and thinking outside the box, would you have been friends with your parents? Would you have thought they were odd? What would you have had in common? I find it quite interesting.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Not only that, but thinking how your life would be, what you would be doing/interested, etc if you were your age now in that time period…
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Ling@Uptake January 8, 2009 at 7:35 am

I’m going to have a question ready for next time (if there is one) well in advance. Kinda difficult to ask something interesting on the spot. The retirement thing is inetersting, though. I think maybe I’ll have a personal finance question ready next time. Hope you know enough about self-directed IRAs and things like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:55 am

Yeah, I was just questioning whether there will be a next time or not – or how long it will be until we do this again.
I’d be happy to hear your finance questions though, I love discussing finances.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:50 am

yet there hasn’t been an update to your finance site for how long?
….you do have a fair amount of content there so even though you are neglecting it, it is probably still bringing in a fairly decent chunck o’ change each month huh? care to share some numbers?
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm

It has been quite some time….it is unfortunate too as that is actually the site that makes the lions share of the money.
But with an obligation to write posts over at TMP and the fact that I love writing here too, I have had to sacrifice somewhere. Fortunately, due to the nature of the content, that site still pulls in traffic and earnings.
It could be more with the proper attention, which is why I have considered bringing someone on to give that blog that attention it deserves and work out some type of arrangement. Interested? ๐Ÿ™‚

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Actually, yes I would be interested…perhaps we should move this thread to email and work out some details.
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 10, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Will be in touch.

Nicole Price January 8, 2009 at 9:28 am

Derek, I hope that all your readers have read your reply to my question. This is one aspect of our lives that needs a great deal of reflection up on. How to live below our means and use debt only for the most essential as you have done. Thank you for being such an inspiration.
Nicole Prices last blog post..New Year Resolutions to Help You Save Money

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:59 am

Nicole, I really enjoyed your question – so much that I have selected yours as the one I enjoyed the most, meaning you win a copy of the Blog Blazers book. I’ll be in touch via email to get shipping information.
It took some time for me to learn those financial lessons, as when I graduated college it was not a pretty picture. But it can be done.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:52 am

Congrats Nicole!
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

Nicole Price January 8, 2009 at 9:33 am

Did you realize that the answers that you gave to Neil give a great deal of information about your own personality. That is quite an eclectic list and I must say that I am quite impressed.

derek January 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, I was conscious of that while answering and was curious as to what the response would be. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve@trade show booths guru January 8, 2009 at 10:16 am

hi Derek,
I am so embarrassed!
I swear I read the questions from Round 1, but then I guess maybe I got lazy…
Not only was the question “What is the meaning of life?” asked in Round 2, but it saw asked by another STEVE.
Oh, the shame…
Thanks for the time you must have put into this post. Even in my embarrassed state, I find it very interesting.
~ the other Steve, and the embarrassed trade show booths guru
PS. I’m sure you’ve heard the quote, “Never assume anything, it will make an…” Well, I just noticed that same three letter word is in “embarrassed”. Oh, the double shame….
Steves last blog post..Trade Show Booths and Duct Tape

derek January 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Lol, there are a lot of questions that have been asked so it is easy to miss one.
As for the time, it isn’t bad because I really enjoy answering the questions that you guys come up with!

Jessica W January 8, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hehe, interesting questions and even more interesting answers. Always reveal some more info about you ๐Ÿ™‚
Jessica Ws last blog post..Why is Professional Web Design so Important

derek January 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, hope you enjoyed it!

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 12:54 am

Well that was both informative and entertaining…well done!
By the way, yes, I’m still trying to think of a good question…
Oh well, I guess I have awhile till I need to worry about that because the next Q&A session hasn’t even been scheduled yet ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Thanks Nick! Your next question better be a good one!

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I’ll try not to disappoint ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Neil@PS3 January 10, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I must say a few of the posts this month already have nearly 50 comments each. This is going to be the best comment month yet for you derek.

Nick@romandock dot com January 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm

There just get to be more and more all the time don’t there Neil? Hey, this gives me an idea…
Nicks last blog post..I will be beta testing Windows 7

new home guide January 12, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Excellent article.Thanks for the post

Veronica Cervera@miami homes August 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Interesting. I liked the conversation. Made me imagine the stories behind the conversation. Good stuff!

Steve@Electric Cig October 8, 2011 at 10:16 am

I visited this post because the headline caught my attention. Killer headlines really does work, doesn’t it? By the way, good stuff Derek.