Magic Formula To More Comments :: Only 3 Ingredients

by derek on January 8, 2009 · 96 comments

Timing is everything – wouldn’t you say?
No doubt you have heard someone, most likely even yourself once or twice, say that they were in the right place at the right time. There will be times when the slightest change in timing can completely alter an experience.
So what does timing have to do with increasing your comments?
Well, in an uncanny sense of timing, last night I was working with a friend to enable readers to subscribe to comments and add a few other essential plugins. Much of the work that we did last night was focused on increasing the user experience and encouraging more comments.
Then, earlier today, Nick from romandock dot com left a comment on another post stating:

As far as increasing the comment count on your own posts, unfortunately, Derek hasn’t shared his magic formula with us yet.

Perfect timing?
You tell me.
Now, I have to disagree with Nick when he mentions that I have not shared my magic formula – as I have mentioned some of my secrets in previous posts. However, rather than ask you to hunt around the blog for them, I thought it would be worthwhile to publish one post that delivers the magic formula in a single serving.

Magic Formula Ingredient #1 – Dialog

When I take the time out of my day to visit another blog and share my thoughts, I am thrilled when the blog owner takes the time to personally respond. Therefore I have always felt that it is essential to try my best to respond to every comment.
When a reader leaves a comment, they appreciate a response from you.
Create a dialog.
If a reader leaves a handful of comments that receive no response, chances are that they will slowly stop leaving comments. It isn’t much fun talking to yourself – trust me, I’ve done it.
Now, not every single comment is going to warrant a response. When in doubt, certainly respond to any comment that is asking a question and try your best to add an anecdote or note of thanks to your readers that do comment. On occasion, you can also send an email response to a reader just to say thanks for sharing their opinion.
You will be amazed by how effective it is to simply create a dialog in the comments section.

Magic Formula Ingredient #2 – Plugins

For those of us using WordPress as our blogging platform, there are a wealth of plugins that can help you increase the number of comments that you receive on your blog.
As I mentioned at the beginning, one such plugin is providing your readers with the ability to subscribe to the comments. Rather than hammer away at it here, please go read why I like the Subscribe to Comments plugin so much.
While helping install plugins over at GrowMap last night, I made note of a handful of plugins that will do a great job of helping you increase the comments on your blog.

• Subscribe to Comments :: We’ve already discussed how critical I believe this plugin to be, so why aren’t you already installing it? Whether you like to subscribe to comments or not, other people do – including me – and you need to provide them with the option.
  • CommentLuv :: When a reader leaves their thoughts on your blog, why not reward them with a link to one of their recent posts? How many times have you been reading another blog, seen a great comment, and clicked through the link to find an outstanding new blog? Give your commentators that same opportunity. Give them some love!
  • DoFollow Plugins :: Since we are talking about link love, why not remove the “nofollow” attribute and pass along some link juice to your commentators? Rather than list a single plugin, I have shared Andy Beard’s fabulous compilation of DoFollow plugins. I’ve been using Link Love, which appears to be unavailable, but Lucia’s Linky Love plugin has caught my eye too.
  • KeywordLuv :: Even more love for your readers – KeywordLuv allows your readers to keep their comments more personable by using their name but also receive the benefits of a link using their keyword of choice. Coupled with a DoFollow plugin, your readers will be very happy!

Each of these plugins can – and should be – added to every blog. They don’t require massive changes to your blog or consume precious screen real estate, yet each of them will begin to increase the number of comments you receive.
If you’re still looking for more magic, you can explore plugins such as Show Top Commentators and the Recent Comments widget. While these require space to display them, your readers will appreciate the additional recognition.

Magic Formula Ingredient #3 – Return the Favor

As much as your readers will love you for making the changes noted above, they will appreciate it even more when you take the time to return the favor – visit their blog and leave a comment.
Do you remember when I said that it isn’t any fun to talk to yourself?
Well, do your part to make sure that your readers aren’t “talking” to themselves with posts that have no comments. Try to find some time to visit their blog, read through their posts, and share your thoughts.
No doubt this will be difficult to manage, as writing your own blog can monopolize the majority of your time. But make it a point to get out there and return the favor to your readers as often as possible. You’re not going to be perfect – I know this is an area that I need to improve myself – but you need to try.

Tweaking the Magic Formula

The three ingredients above will undoubtedly help you increase the number of comments that you receive on your blog – but just in case you’re not satisfied, I have a few additional things that you can throw into the pot.
Scroll back up and examine all of the links within this post.
Did you notice anything?
Reaching out to other bloggers, as I have done in a few instances throughout this post, is a great way to add additional comments to your blog. When you link to another blogger, chances are that they will notice the link and stop by for a visit and share a comment (ahem, shall we see if Andy Beard, Liz Strauss, or Nick leave a comment).
If your post is wickedly outstanding, they might even share a link to the post with their own readers – and that is where the fun can really start. When you write your next post, reach out to at least one other blogger.
Before we conclude this concoction of commenty goodness, I have one more suggestion for you.
Another great way to increase the comments on your blog is to ask your readers questions. Give them something to think about and encourage them to respond. Take a lesson from one of the comment masters, Liz Strauss, and look at her Open Comment Night for inspiration.
There you have it – the magic formula (plus a little sumpin’ sumpin’) to implement on your blog if you want more comments.
What encourages you to leave a comment on a blog?

Internet Strategist January 8, 2009 at 9:47 pm

What I really like about your posts is that you give the exact how-to and what-to that is missing in many other blogs – and explain them in a way that bloggers at all levels can understand.
These are all excellent tips that anyone who is serious about growing their blog would do well to implement. Your blog here is a role model for what else I need to do in mine. Thanks again for all your assistance and sharing your expertise.
Internet Strategists last blog post..Blogging Best Practices: Enabling Your Readers to Subscribe to Comments

derek January 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for the great feedback, I appreciate the kind words and am happy to hear that people enjoy the “how-to” and “what-to” aspects.
Glad to help!

Ryan January 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Ingredient #4: Write a post about comments πŸ™‚
Ryans last blog post..iPhone Calendar Wish

derek January 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Lol, absolutely!

Jesse@SoLinkable January 11, 2009 at 6:42 pm

hahahah. Nice.
Jesses last blog post..SoLinkable Blog Β» SoLinkable upgrades

Ajith Edassery | DollarShower January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm

That’s a better and shorter list than those 50 or 101 ways to get more commenters πŸ™‚
As for the plugins, take a look at the Contact Commenters plugin taht I released last month (http://www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins/contact-commenters)
The idea is to manually digg into the details of who were your past commenters who don’t comment anymore, new commenters, top commenters, commenters of certain posts, date range etc and then contact them via email. This periodic communication (if not overdone) can retain readerbase.
Ajith Edassery | DollarShowers last blog post..Blogger – Blog Reader Engagment Models

derek January 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Ajith, your plugin sounds like a pretty cool idea as it can be worthwhile to touch base with readers that haven’t visited in awhile as well as more recent readers.
In the screen shots, I like the display of that includes links to the sites of the last commentators.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing a note about your plugin, as well as the feedback.

Nicole Price January 9, 2009 at 7:57 am

This seems very interesting. I intend investigating. Thank you.
Nicole Prices last blog post..New Year Resolutions to Help You Save Money

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I might have to check this out. I could make a policy where if someone who I know is a regular reader doesn’t make a comment for a month that I send them an email or something like that πŸ™‚
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 9, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Hey…I resemble that remark, lol. πŸ˜‰

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I had you in mind when writing that comment…I almost wrote it this way “…regular reader and hasn’t made a comment since October…” but thought that sounded a little too harsh and obvious.
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Lol, sometimes I need a kick in the pants – don’t be afraid to deliver it.

Ricardo Bueno January 13, 2009 at 3:59 am

@Nick: you know, that’s actually not that bad an idea πŸ™‚
I actually got an email from a reader once that said something to the effect of: “Hey, just wondering how you been. I haven’t seen or heard from you in a while and was wondering if everything was ok.”
It was pretty cool actually. Just goes to show the kinds of relationships that are forged even if they are online.

Ling@Uptake January 8, 2009 at 11:37 pm

The rest of it is good for keeping your commenters happy, but the one which really brings in people is the do follow plugin. That said, a lotta people have all the plugins and bells and whistles, but don’t really have the kind of response that you get. I still say its got something to do with a magic potion. πŸ™‚

derek January 8, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Ling, it is funny you mention that as I was just reading an article about attracting readers (and commentators) by making your blog a safe haven.
There is a lot to be said about providing a level of comfort to your readers, and I’d like to think that we have been developing that here.
Would you agree?

Ling@Uptake January 9, 2009 at 12:25 am

Yup. Its spot on. A sense of belonging and part ownership definitely drives people to contribute and take responsibility. When I come to make comments here on Dereksemmler.com, I do feel like I’m valued, unlike other blogs where your voice is just ignored or drowned out by the webmaster.
And I like their slogan – “Its my blog, but its all about you.” Sounds like something straight out of the Obama campaign. πŸ™‚

Neil@PS3 January 9, 2009 at 12:10 am

Thanks for these great ideas. I have looked into the plugins and will definitely be adding the top commentator plugin to my site.

derek January 9, 2009 at 9:55 pm

You’re welcome Neil, let me know what you think and how it works out for you.

Barbara Swafford January 9, 2009 at 1:27 am

Hi Derek – That’s a perfect “recipe”. Building community does come down to giving our readers recognition and “the time of day”. Like you said, no one wants to talk to themselves, however, when I do (and get caught doing it), I always say “I’m having an intelligent conversation”. Haha.
It was great to see you on my blog. Your comment added great value to the post, I must also thank you for adding a link here(to my post). I truly appreciate that.
I’m laughing at the comment from Ling in reference to my tagline “Sounds like something straight out of the Obama campaign.” I don’t know if that’s good, or bad. But in actuality, my blog is all about my readers. They are the ones who inspire me, support me and give me the motivation to keep doing what I’m doing.
When I think back to the post I did on making a blog a safe haven, and after reading this post, I see you’ve done the same. On my first visit here, I feel “at home”. Thanks for sharing and for also letting me have my say.
Barbara Swaffords last blog post..Stick – Stickier – Stuck, How To Overcome Writer’s Block

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Hi Barbara, thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight. It is great to hear that you felt “at home” here, as I too try to make this blog about the readers.
I believe in giving back as much as possible – whether that is through link love, fun contests, helping someone with their blog, or whatever. It is that aspect that makes this as much fun as it is for me.
Thanks again, I look forward to interacting with you.

Jayson January 9, 2009 at 1:35 am

Nice tips Derek, it’s about time you share your secrets!
I noticed how active you were on your blog and am trying to implement the same thing…it definitely sucks when you’re talking to yourself all the time.

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Lol, I am happy to share with all of you. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 1:35 am

In regards to the part about timing being everything, my “Where have all the good phones gone?” Post went live at 9:00 AM and somewhere around 9:20 AM, both screens on Tammy‘s phone quit working.
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 1:44 am

Well, I generally respond to most of the comments on my site so dialog – check
I have top commentators, my site is do-follow, I’ve installed subscribe to comments (which did help by the way) so plugins – check
-I should probably take another look at installing CommentLuv though
I am a regular at the sites of all of my regular readers so return the favor – check
Hmmm, my comment count is still nowhere near yours so you must still be holding something back. πŸ™‚
Ah ha…here we go. I should sprinkle a bit more link-love throughout all of my posts I already do this, but perhaps I should not be quite so obvious when doing it and find things a bit more relevant to the post at hand…
Oh, and of course you knew I would stop by and leave a comment.
And I do often times try to end my posts with a question…hmmm, I think I’ll agree with Ling’s comment above and say that there’s still some magic potion you’re not sharing with the rest of us.
Nicks last blog post..Where have all the good phones gone?

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Maybe it is just my charming personality, lol. πŸ˜‰

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm

…maybe 80% of the “people” who comment on this site are really just you having conversations with yourself to make it look like a busy place πŸ™‚
Seriously though, I think it’s partially a snowballing effect and my snowball is just a bit slow in getting started…at least that’s what I’m hoping! That and I have people who only comment once or twice every couple of months (see comment much further up page) that I need to get to participate a bit more.
For those of you having trouble locating the comment I reference, try “find on page” for ‘october’
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 12, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I love your style!

Kelvin Kao January 9, 2009 at 3:49 am

Funny that I already read both yours and Barbara’s blog since a while ago… πŸ™‚
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009!

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm

So you knew about Barbara’s blog and didn’t share it with me? How dare you, lol.
That would actually make for an interesting post – have everyone recommend 5 of their favorite blogs. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email with your 5 favorites and I will compile a post.

Kelvin Kao January 9, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Would you feel hurt if the list doesn’t include yours? πŸ˜›
Kelvin Kaos last blog post..Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009!

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I thought you knew me better than that – of course not!

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I have to narrow it down to 5? That would be tough, I’m not sure who I would leave off the list!
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Nicole Price January 9, 2009 at 7:56 am

You have attracted me with your content, the interesting topics that are discussed, and most importantly, the quality of the comments made by other regular visitors to your blog. I have always wondered whether you edit as the quality is always much better than many other blogs where the comments often are inane.
The way that you have explained the magic formula simply goes to prove my contention that the content here is truly of very good quality.
Nicole Prices last blog post..New Year Resolutions to Help You Save Money

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Absolutely no editing taking place here – which means that all of the credit goes to each of you. Together we all do our part to make this a good experience and I couldn’t do it without all of you.

Nicole Price January 9, 2009 at 8:12 am

I am sorry that I forgot to highlight one of your pointers. That you take to respond when a response is called for is another attractive feature of your blog. The importance of this gesture cannot be overemphasized.
Nicole Prices last blog post..New Year Resolutions to Help You Save Money

Terry January 9, 2009 at 9:00 am

Great tips. I need to promote more dialog on my blog. Then again I should cut down on my payperpost entries.
Terrys last blog post..Being your own boss

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, that can detract from the dialog – although a few of my sponsored posts have had a good deal of discussion.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Which reminds me, does anyone else find it moderately annoying when certain bloggers don’t allow comments on sponsored posts?
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Blog Guide January 9, 2009 at 10:39 am

That was probably one of the best posts I have read today. I definitely think that you have to return the favor. If they know that you will comment on their blog because they comment on yours, then they will likely come back and do it again.
Blog Guides last blog post..7 Wordpress Ajax Plugins

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Any one piece can be effective, but when you combine all of them together you really get the best return. Now…I think I need to start visiting a few more blogs. πŸ™‚

Matt@Crown Point Pest Control January 9, 2009 at 10:52 am

I think this is a good article, i could definitely see this increasing comments overall. I like keywordluv the most, it just seems like a natural progression.

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm

KeywordLuv is good, although it has made it a little more painful to tally up the top commentators. Last month I queried based on email address, which worked fairly well as most people keep the same email even when they change their keyword.

Steve@trade show booths guru January 9, 2009 at 1:44 pm

hey Derek,
Thanks for sharing your “magic”. πŸ™‚
If I can toss in my two cents about “subscribe to comments”. I don’t usually do that anymore because I was just getting way too many emails. I do like to hear when the blogger responds to my specific comment though. I think I’ve seen another blog that uses nested comments and I get an email when there’s a reply to what I said, but not when there’s just another comment added. It would be nice to have both options… Did this make sense?
~ Steve, aka the trade show booths guru
Steves last blog post..Trade Show Booths and Duct Tape

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I used to feel that way too, but now I almost always click it because I like joining in the discussion. I can certainly see some advantage to a plugin like you descripe and I’m sure one is probably available. However, if you do that you will miss out on a lot of the dialog…
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

derek January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Interesting idea. As Nick mentioned, I really like to get notified of any comments on a post where I have left a comment – although on some blogs that does become unruly in your inbox.
One idea would be to offer a digest, where you receive an email once per day with all of the comments on that post. That might reduce the noise in your email but still keep you informed of updates.
I’ll have to give this some thought.

Nick@romandock dot com January 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm

That idea seems a bit more enticing to me, although I think I would probably still choose to get the individual emails, then I can stay updated (and reply) throughout the day as I have time…also, a digest would be a lot more to sort through all at one time!
Nicks last blog post..The Assumption Song – A fun video for a Friday

Andy @ DoFollow 001 January 10, 2009 at 3:02 am

Sometimes when I’ve left a comment on a blog, the blog owner has then sent me a personal thank you email.
I’ve always found this overkill. However, it is nice when the blog owner leave a reply to your published comment. even if it is just a simple, Nice that you dropped by hope to see you again.
Good manners cost nothing and I always</em go back to check on pages where I’ve left comments
Andys last blog post..Review of Fast Blog Finder (G Lock Software)

derek January 12, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Andy, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’ve found the automated email notices upon leaving your first comment to be a little much myself, but do appreciate hearing from the site owner.
As a reader, that is why I enjoy the subscribe to comments option so much as it reminds me every time there is fresh feedback on a post that I left a comment.

Nick@romandock dot com January 12, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I agree that the email is not generally necessary, especially because they are usually so “canned” that they mean nothing to me as a reader. Any sort of personal response (via email or comment) is much appreciated though.
I like to go back and check pages where I’ve left comments, however, I agree with Derek that it’s much better/easier when the site in question uses the Subscribe to comments plugin. Otherwise I would be sure to forget some and/or not see them because I quit checking the page before the comment came…
Nicks last blog post..I will be beta testing Windows 7

Neil@PS3 January 10, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I am hoping to start a little debate on my new site regarding the different consoles. I am currently having trouble with the hosting.
I need to refresh the page every time I view it to be able to see any posts. It’s got to be a SQL server problem but the hosts say there is nothing wrong.
Anyway enough of my rant, I just wanted to let people know about the debate starting soon.

derek January 12, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Neil, I’d be happy to recommend the host that I use as they have been outstanding! Hit me up via email or search through the posts here for my thoughts on BlueFur hosting. I have a coupon code for a discount too. πŸ™‚

Charles January 10, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I’d like to add some of these to my drupal site, but am still learning the ins and outs. One thing I have to say about Wordpress, its so easy to install most plugins. It seems posts with some controversy generate comments a little easier.
Charless last blog post..Green Products Showcased at CES

derek January 12, 2009 at 2:04 pm

It has been some time since I have done anything with drupal, although I do recall it being more cumbersome than how things work with WordPress.
Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Annabel@Learn Forex Trading January 11, 2009 at 8:49 am

Interesting conversation and sharing knowledge makes me want to leave a comment on a blog. Its always really cool when you read a blog giving constructive advice – like this one! There are so many new ways of doing things its hard to keep up sometimes. I’m working on my web site, offering a beginners Forex Book, general trading advice and guidance in the form of clubs, blogs and newsletters – its hard to know all the do’s and dont’s when you first start!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 11, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Once again, at the time of my posting, you have 39 comments. Your top commentators are also something to be proud of – one even has 40 comments! And it’s only the 11th… You have found a formula that works great and I thank you for sharing it. I truly believe that it has a lot to do with the amount of time that an admin puts into his site. You continually offer great articles and resources (and it shows).
From my personal experience (which isn’t much), I’ve found that the “Top Commentators” can be a great help in creating a discussion and encouraging comments. I find that potential commentators won’t hesitate if you offer them something in return for their comment – in this case a sitewide backlink.

derek January 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Absolutely, every commentator here is reason for me to be proud as you guys are great. As you mentioned, Nick has been a machine so far this month and has been jumping in all over with some great dialog.
Nice to see you jumping in as well!

Tony@HVAC January 12, 2009 at 7:59 am

The commentluv and keywordluv plugins are a great way to increase discussion on your blog. The readers are rewarded for their contribution to the site and thus are more likely to add relevant discussion then they would without being rewarded.

Billy January 12, 2009 at 8:13 am

In my opinion besides Content being Kind it’s also about CommentLuv πŸ™‚
Billy

new home guide January 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Thanks for the list. The last 3 ingredients were awesome;P

Ricardo Bueno January 13, 2009 at 4:07 am

I’m not sure if this applies directly (you tell me)… One of the things that I do, particularly with new commentators, is that I send them a follow up email thanking them for their comment and welcoming them to the site. But see, it doesn’t work if it’s automated! You can’t automate relationships. I often take the time to research that person (their blog and who they are) and try to find a common ground so that when we do connect, it’s more genuine. This often opens to door to better dialogue and more interactions!

derek January 13, 2009 at 8:55 am

Ricardo, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on comments and welcoming new commentators. If one is going to adopt the idea of contacting commentators via email, I certainly think the approach that you mention is the way to go.
Taking the time to make a personal connection like that is much more valuable than an automated response.

Nick@romandock dot com January 13, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I find your method to be much more desirable than an automated system, but it might be a little overkill. In most cases, you would get the same result and be able to form just as much of a relationship by clicking over to that person’s site and leaving a few comments on different posts that they have wrote (after reading those posts of course).
Nicks last blog post..Which Avatars To Use In Comments?

Liz Strauss January 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Well, Derek,
Sorry to be late to the party, and it sure doesn’t seem like need any help from this quarter. You’ve got it covered. Make room for folks to talk and they will. This post is proof.
I agree with what Barbara Swafford said early in the comment stream. Brilliant recipe!
Thanks for making sure I saw this. Now I’ve got another resource. πŸ™‚
Bravo.
Liz Strausss last blog post..The Mic Is On: It’s Barry Moltz Talking About Failure

derek January 13, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Liz, welcome to the party and thanks for stopping by to say hello. You’ve set a great example for many of us with your ability to get people talking.
And with you sharing a comment, I am two for three in the people I mentioned visiting to leave a comment. Now to try and find Andy Beard FTW!

Susan@Wordpress Themes January 15, 2009 at 8:02 pm

I’m happy to see that on this list are both plugins: Keyword and CommentLuv!
Susans last blog post..Nature Gift

Charles@Las Vegas Real Estate January 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I think you spelled it out perfectly. Reward frequent visitors with a link back and interaction. Some also add the top commenters plug in to the mix as well.
Charless last blog post..Looking at the Las Vegas Real Estate Market

Paul@Xatal - A student's blog February 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I never knew about KeywordLuv — I’ve seen CommentLuv around a lot, but never KeywordLuv. Very helpful post — it all really comes down to giving the reader some good incentives to post.
Pauls last blog post..When should I ask a girl to prom?

China Travel Blog February 13, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I have started to used “top commentors” plugin recently and saw a huge spike on the comments also spam is also high but majority of the comments ad a big contribution to my blog.
China Travel Blogs last blog post..Foshan Trains

sicily villa April 23, 2009 at 12:08 am

Great tips. I need to promote more dialog on blog. Then again I should cut down on my pay per post entries.I find your method to be much more desirable than an automated system, but it might be a little overkill. In most cases, you would get the same result and be able to form just as much of a relationship by clicking over to that personÒ€ℒs site and leaving a few comments on different posts that they have wrote (after reading those posts of course).

Claudine@Teaching in Korea April 25, 2009 at 6:39 am

I have the do follow, link love, and the top comment plugins on my blog. I didn’t know about the keyword love. I’m going to have to add that one. What is the best way to get the word out that these are available on your blog? Some people may visit but not know what they are.
Claudines last blog post..Still Waiting on Visa Number to Teach in Korea

Croatia expert May 4, 2009 at 5:09 am

Nothing can beat good post. If you have good and interesting post you will have lot of comments no matter what else you do. If you write some boring stuff no one will comment. It is simple as that.
Croatia experts last blog post..Hartera music festival

Terry@ Medical Scrubs May 28, 2009 at 4:03 am

Quite fitting that this post about increasing the number of comments already has 71 comments, 72 if this one is approved. LOL

Thomas@FastSize Extender Review May 28, 2009 at 1:07 pm

“Therefore I have always felt that it is essential to try my best to respond to every comment.”
I think this is the most important ingredient for getting more comments. I will apply this on my blogs too!
Thomass last blog post..Excercises to increase penis length

Warren P. Bonds June 29, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I agree that people do really appreciate it when you respond to their comments.

Bob@Fastsize Extender July 5, 2009 at 5:35 am

But do follow plugins will attract comments that are comments just for the sake of it.
If you have enough visitors, then regularly replying to them and also writing open ended posts will make them reply.
Top commenter plugin alone should suffice to bring ore commenters on a regular basis though.
.-= Bob@Fastsize Extender´s last blog ..My Fast Size Extender Review =-.

Bob@Fastsize Extender July 5, 2009 at 5:38 am

And BTW, you seem to have been successful in getting the comments.. This page itself has so many comments..

Brian October 1, 2009 at 5:48 am

in my opinion, people appreciate comments if its good and making sense, i really having fun reading comments and specially when the article is very interesting, such as this, coz its like this is the main events in very blog or sites we browse, then we read and give comments..

Dan @ cure curved penis April 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I am currently working on my new blog which will be based on wordpress and am looking for any kind of tips related to that.
The tips you provided above will be very helpful for me, not just with wordpress but with blogging in general! Thanks
.-= Dan @ cure curved penis hopes you will read… how to cure a curved penis =-.

Natan January 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I had a chat with a buddy of mine who does SEO for a living. We came to the conclusion that a lot of the off-page methods that used to work so well aren’t quite as a effective as they used to be, due largely to the sheer volume of blogs circulation the net nowadays, not to mention spammers. The key to success is forming relationships with other bloggers, networking with them and simply through providing value to others. It’ll always be about the reader and the hardest thing for a marketer to accomplish is learning how to leverage themselves to benefit and serve others, not the other way around. I’ve created an online resource for the entrepreneur looking to start or grow their online business. If you have some time, drop by and say hello at Natan’s Marketing Experiment. Thanks for the read.

derek January 20, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Natan, thank you for stopping by and saying hello. You’re absolutely correct that forming relationships with others is critical. That is something I have focused on since the very beginning of my blogging career and it has been an amazing experience. It has provided me the opportunity to meet so many special people.
I will most definitely stop by and say hello. πŸ™‚

Anne @ lifestyler treadmill March 24, 2011 at 12:13 am

I am also using Commentluv, Dofollow, and Top Commenters plugins as recommended by many bloggers. You are right! You have the same feedback with other bloggers. One thing I like about your post and I do really appreciate is your Magic Formula Ingredient # 3. It is very seldom I see a blogger return his favor by reading and leaving a comment to your post. If all the bloggers will apply this magic ingredient ( and i hope so), it will really be a healthy blogging community. Thanks for this post! This is great!

Edward Culligan @National Debt May 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Because I read this, I will define be getting top commenter’s installed on my blog. I find so many interesting things from people who give great tips. I wouldn’t have these great tips if I didn’t stumble across your blog. Thanks for the great information.

Veronica Cervera@brickell key condos August 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Anything that I read that I find value in, you definitely can expect me to comment. From what I have observed, a good technique could be writing on a topic which you would leave out some details purposely. In the sense that it would leave room for discussion. I reckon that if all the information can be read from your post, then nobody would really make an effort to comment. Well, you’ll probably still get some “Good Job” or “Keep up the good work” kind of comments. But not in the form of discussion, really. Just my 2 cents.

Lisa Plant September 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Great tips on how to get more blog comments! I believe, the points are well emphasized and explained. The best advice for me is the Magic Formula Ingredient #3, which is return the favor. This is very true since you can establish a good relationship with your readers, and you can help them as well by also commenting on their works. Thank you for sharing
these magic formulas!

Steve@Electric Cig October 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Very informative Derek! I just want to emphasize that posting comments is only magic if the commenter is adding value to the post. If not, then it’s a SPAM.

Ian Douglas December 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Derek,
Your post is really helpful to people like myself looking for ways of getting some interaction on our Blogs. Blogs can become so lonely out in cyberspace without any comments.
Your brief round up of essential plugins is particularly useful.
One free plugin I have recently come across and am toying with installing is the “Comment Redirect” plugin (http://yoast.com/wordpress/comment-redirect/) which redirects first-time commentators to a page of your choice so you can give them a word of thanks (and maybe a free gift?) for making their first comment on your Blog.
Have you come across/used the “Comment Redirect” plugin before? Would you recommend it?
Ian.

derek December 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hi Ian,
Thanks for stopping by to say hello. I’m happy to hear that you found the information useful and that you’re thinking of ways to engage your visitors.
I have seen the plugin that you mention but I have never personally used it. On the positive side, I think it can add a really nice personal touch to provide a special thanks to each person as they share their first comment. The only thing I would be cautious about is taking them away from the conversation by redirecting them to something else. While that probably isn’t too much of a concern since it is only on the first comment, there is the possibility where someone wants to respond to another comment on the same post.
So, if you do choose to give this plugin a try, I’d recommend really adding a nice personal message on the resulting page. If you have something special for them, they will enjoy it that much more!
Thanks,