Speedlinking – Affiliate Marketing

by derek on January 12, 2009 · 49 comments

Affiliate marketing – two words that can make your heart race and your head hurt, all at the same time. As you strive to make money online, you will undoubtedly come to the realization – if you haven’t already – that you need to learn and experiment with affiliate marketing.
Not too long ago, we discussed what not to do with affiliate marketing – but what should you be doing? Sure, you can be – and should be – working to leverage the real power of the Amazon Affiliate Program, but there is more than that.
The world of landing pages, PPC campaigns, and split testing is enough to make your head spin. There is so much information available that you could easily spend all of your time reading and none of your time doing. Personally, I try to read a little and then jump in and experiment – which is why I stayed up late one night last week creating a site about Chicago Football Gifts.
You don’t know what is possible until you try.
With that said, there is certainly something to be said for working smarter as opposed to simply working harder. The sites featured in this edition of Speedlinking will help you find the path towards working smarter, with information and reviews on tools, such as Build A Niche Store (too bad I was denied for the eBay Partner Network), affiliate networks, landing page templates, and more.
1. Zac Johnson from Zac Johnson dot Com is a name many of you have seen on this blog before. After reading this blog for quite some time, and having had a chance to briefly meet Zac at BlogWorld, I cannot recommend his blog enough. A good place for you to start is Zac’s breakdown of 5 reasons you still aren’t making money online. How many of these excuses have you used? Stop with the excuses and start today. Nobody is telling you that it will be easy, but I can guarantee you will not have any success if you don’t take the first step.
2. Paul Piotrowski from InspiredMoneyMaker.com recently shared a guest post over at TylerCruz.com that provides an interesting explanation as to what separates you from the high-earning affiliates. Paul explains that we all have an affiliate thermostat, which is a mechanism that influences our behavior to create a match between our current earnings beliefs and our current actual earnings. Don’t be your own worst enemy – learn how to reset your thermostat and unlock your earnings potential.
3. Another person that I was fortunate enough to meet at BlogWorld was Ian Fernando – who I believe understands the idea of the affiliate thermostat as he was telling people that I was making crazy money with my sites. Ian recently shared his prediction that WordPress will be the next generation of landing pages as more people begin to understand how to leverage WordPress for more than just blogs. I’ve created a few sites (Pro Football Workout and now Chicago Football Gifts) that might be able to leverage this idea.
4. Another person that is doing great things to help more people learn about making money online is Garry Conn. As you read and learn more about affiliate marketing, you will quickly begin to realize the importance of selecting a niche topic. Often times people want to find a niche that has little competition, although that also might mean the payouts are not the best. Recently, Garry provided a few thoughts on how you could make money with a quit smoking blog. While this niche is quite competitive, Garry explains that the money PPC advertisers are bidding on these keywords could still make this quite profitable.
5. Paul Bourque from Uber Affiliate has a wealth of experience that he shares with his community of readers. While it almost seems routine to see affiliate marketers posting about how they earned a ridiculously large sum of money, you don’t find one that openly explains their mistakes as Paul did recently with his post detailing why he only made $182.64 profit in November. The important thing to take away from this is that the life of an affiliate marketer never stops – you cannot expect the things that work today to keep working tomorrow. You always have to be ready to adjust and learn from your setbacks, as Paul has done here.
As you continue to explore the possibilities of affiliate marketing, be sure to keep the fine people mentioned above on your radar. Not only are they each successful in what they do, they like to share information with their readers.
If you’ve been around here for any amount of time, you will know that I too like to share information with all of you. Therefore you’ll be sure to be updated on my initiatives to earn money with affiliate marketing and will hear the great news when I partner up with one of these super affiliates on a joint venture (hey, I am setting my thermostat).
Note: After publishing this post, I noticed an email from Steve (not the same Steve as mentioned above) that mentioned he is running a competition to win a free Sony PS3 and it is open to residents of the UK, USA, and Canada. Check it out!

Barbara Swafford January 12, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hi Derek – Affiliate marketing is something I’ve dabbled in, but haven’t had much success. The links you’ve provided appear to be bloggers with solid experience. Thanks for sharing such great resources. I can see, I have lots of reading to do as I, too, set my thermostat.
Barbara Swaffords last blog post..When Non-Blogger Friends Donโ€™t Get It

derek January 12, 2009 at 6:01 pm

You’re welcome – I too have dabbled and will invest the time and energy this year to improving my results with affiliate marketing.
Just remember to sprinkle in some experimenting with all of that reading. ๐Ÿ™‚

sara@ Get Paid To Write at Home-$500/Daily June 23, 2009 at 7:14 pm

affiliate marketing is very hard. Harder than what most people think. I wish I could help the new beginners who are having a hard time. It took me nearly 4 years before I started making money online and that is because I kept buying those whack ‘guru; ebooks that didn’t really tell you anything but garbage so that these ‘marketing experts’ would have any competition. Affiliate marketing and working online is just as hard as working a ‘regular job’.

Steve@Free iPods January 12, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I’m still ticking along nicely in my particular niche of affiliate/referral marketing. I am limited to a degree and am not sure where else to take it but the rewards are good.
So much so that I am giving a little back to the virtual world and running a competition giving away a PS3 console.
I have mailed Derek asking if it is ok to post the URL so will wait for him to reply before I do.
By popular demand, I have opened it up to USA and Canada too!
Watch this space…

derek January 12, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Steve, I received your email and have just updated the post with a mention of your contest. In addition, you are more than welcome to mention it in the comments on this post (or another) if you feel it fits.
I appreciate you asking before posting the link and am happy to oblige.

Steve@Free iPods January 12, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Derek, you are a gent. If anyone else fancies mentioning it on their blogs then that would be fantastic, it is free after all.
Cheers,
Steve

Neil@PS3 January 13, 2009 at 1:08 am

Hi Steve,
I will make a post about it on my blog later today. If you fancy writing a guest post for my blog to put there then feel free and I will post it otherwise I will add a post when i get home from work later.

Nick@romandock dot com January 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’m sooo gonna win that PS3 ๐Ÿ˜€
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

Steve@Free iPods January 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Neil, I will take you up on the offer, much appreciated.
Nick, those who promote the comp will have a better chance of winning*
Derek, I got some Twitters for the first time ever, thanks buddy.
(*Well, not really, but you gotta try!)

Nick@romandock dot com January 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Lol, I’ll see what I can do…you can always submit a post for my consideration ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

derek January 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm

You’re welcome – are you on twitter? Follow me if you are as it is always nice to have another place to connect.

Steve@Free iPods January 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I must be one of the few in the Western world who is not on Twitter, will go sign-up Derek.
@Nick, that was tongue in cheek but I will give “submit a post” a go!

Nick January 15, 2009 at 9:15 am

Don’t worry, I noticed your little asterix there, but as good of a community member as you have been here on Derek’s site, I wouldn’t have anything against linking to your giveaway. Besides, that’s one heck of a cool prize. I’m just trying to get people to start using my “Submit A Post” page ๐Ÿ™‚
…on second thought, perhaps I shouldn’t promote this because the fewer people that enter, the better my chances of winning ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

Steve@Free iPods January 15, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Nick, much appreciate the comments.
The submit a post page was very easy to use but I struggled with character length!
Like your cunning plan ๐Ÿ™‚
Cheers,
Steve

Nick@romandock.com January 15, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Duly noted, I did notice that I received the email from you. Also, I have adjusted the maximum allowed length for a couple of the fields to hopefully avoid this sort of problem in the future ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

BigMick@Domain Names January 12, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Although I’ve been working online for several years AM is fairly new to me so are the people who are successful in it.
I’ve bookmarked these blogs and I’ll follow them with interest.

derek January 12, 2009 at 6:04 pm

One thing I have heard numerous times is that the people that have unbelievable success do not reveal themselves at all online, but the collection that I have shared here really seem to have dialed into that success.
Best to you and thanks for stopping by!

Nicole Price January 13, 2009 at 8:48 am

I am not surprised that the real successes do not write about their successes. This exists side by side with others who are willing to share their experiences and advise. What a world that we live in!
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Hair Products

Neil@PS3 January 12, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Great post derek.
i will check out the sites you mention tomorrow when i get in work.
I would like to say thanks to steve for the competition and would just like to say I hope everyone who enters the best of luck.

Ling January 12, 2009 at 11:37 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of one page wonders, but I’ve seen people make big $$ creating a new site every week, adding some affiliate links and banners, promoting it a bit, then leaving it on auto pilot and moving on to the next one. Most of them keep bringing in some residual revenue, and in a year or so, you’ve got yourself a steady stream. That sounds easy, but is there any easier way to do it, which doesn’t involve creating a bucketload of websites?

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:15 am

Right, there are many different approaches that one can take but that is certainly one of them. The trick is being able to promote it enough (and cost effectively) to generate enough traffic to where it has the potential to have the money trickle in over time.
That has been one of my issues with the test sites that I create, as I create them quickly and have them up and running but don’t promote them enough – which is why the idea of partnering up is so appealing as it lets people focus on their strengths.

Jayson January 12, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Another great post Derek. Let us know what happens with the new affiliate sites, I’ve always wanted to set some things up, but things just keep popping up. It’d be nice to hear how much work you put into the new sites and if it’s worth it. As with anything, I’m sure it’s worth it if you put enough time into it.

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:17 am

Absolutely. As for how much work has been put into this new concept, I’d say it has been a few hours.
The idea came up while chatting with someone on Thursday night and I immediately registered a domain and setup that domain on my hosting. A few hours of work dealing with my script to retrieve affiliate feeds and the site was up and functional.
Now the task is to refine the site, promote it and test how it works.

Nick@romandock dot com January 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I need to get a system created so that I can create sites as easily as you seem to be able to! That site looks nice, professional, and actually provides a service…I like it!
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

derek January 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback! In case you’re not a Chicago fan though, maybe you’d be interested in Dallas football gifts, lol. ๐Ÿ™‚
Man, I love working on stuff like this and testing it out. However, I am giving serious consideration to a service that would make it even more seamless and more turn-key.

Nicole Price January 13, 2009 at 8:45 am

I have not yet gone into this. I need to gather some courage to, I suppose.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Hair Products

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:19 am

Is there anything in particular that is holding you back? With the content that you publish, I’d think that affiliate offers might mesh really well.

Ian Fernando January 13, 2009 at 10:47 am

you know you make that much money! =P wordpress will be the next platform for afiliate marketing as we go into 09

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:20 am

Lol, thanks for stopping by Ian. I’ve been using WP for all of my affiliate testing thus far and I don’t see that changing either.

Steve@trade show booths guru January 13, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Hey Derek,
You may want to check the title of your new site, “Chicago Footall Gifts”, unless you are targeting the word “footall”… ๐Ÿ™‚
~ Steve, aka the I-make-typos-too trade show booths guru
Steves last blog post..Trade Show Booths and Duct Tape

derek January 13, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Of course, haven’t you ever heard of “footall”? Lol, thanks for catching that and letting me know. It has been updated.

Garry Conn January 16, 2009 at 3:11 am

Hi Steve,
Excellent round up here covering some excellent resources on affiliate marketing. Of course, I want to thank you for including my post. I thought that was very kind of you.
You have a great looking blog with a killer theme and it also seems like you have an awesome readership and following here. Keep up the amazing work and thanks again for linking to my article.
Best Regards,
Garry Conn

derek January 16, 2009 at 3:18 am

Hi Garry,
Thanks for stopping by! Steve is one of the readers here, I am Derek – but thanks for the feedback nonetheless. ๐Ÿ™‚
You’re absolutely correct that I have an awesome readership and I hope some of them have found their way over to your site as well.

Garry Conn January 16, 2009 at 3:23 am

Ha ha.. now that is priceless.
You’d think that by reading your domain name dereksemmler.com that I would have figured that out. 3:00 A.M. long day / night… ๐Ÿ™‚
Regardless though, I do like the blog… and I do appreciate you mentioning my post. I got you added into my Google Reader and I’ll put a Post It Note on my monitor to remind me of your name next time I drop a comment. ๐Ÿ˜‰

derek January 16, 2009 at 3:28 am

Lol, I know the feeling as the clock is hitting 3:30am here and I am still up working on an affiliate site. As a matter of fact, I nearly posted my response with your name misspelled. ๐Ÿ™‚
Look forward to chatting with you more!

Nick@romandock.com January 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Garry, from my readings, I would think that by this point you would be running out of room on the monitor for additional post-it notes…you probably already can’t see half the screen ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

Garry Conn January 16, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I have a very big monitor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

derek January 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm

That’s what all guys say, lol.

Nick@romandock.com January 16, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I already found my way over to his site awhile back…thanks to Dennis ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phoneโ€™s Features

Niche Titans January 21, 2009 at 12:21 am

Fantastic set of links to read through…. thanks so much!
Niche Titanss last blog post..Amazon Associates Affiliate Program – Why I love it

Jacques February 19, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Thanks for all the useful links. Will be trying it out soon and investigating a couple of these techniques.
Jacquess last blog post..Why People Fail At Making Money Online

Keegan Reilly February 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I’m just getting into WordPress and I think there is a lot of online marketing to be done there. I like what you’re doing with it also. Thanks for the information.

Veronica Cervera@key biscayne condos August 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

There are definitely lots of big returns on offer in affiliate marketing but it’s important to recognize at the onset that hitting your goals would require a great deal of your time and effort.

Lisa Plant September 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much for sharing this article about affiliate marketing. With proper strategies and techniques done with right timing, I know that anyone can be successful in this business. I have read a lot about affiliate marketing, but I really enjoyed reading this useful and interesting article. I am inspired of how these people worked out to become successful in this field. I would love to read more of your posts.

Steve@Electric Cig October 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Affiliate marketing really does require hard work and it’s time consuming. However, if you’ll do it right, all those hard work will be worth it.