Quotes To Live By :: Juicy Peaches And Thinking

by derek on January 13, 2009 · 28 comments

When the calendar turned to the new year, we talked about how that signifies an opportunity to start fresh and that the possibilities are endless. Steve, our trade show displays guru, left a comment during that discussion that mentioned a quote that he was going to try and live (more) by this year:

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, which is why it is called the Present.

At the time, I mentioned to Steve that there is a quote (two actually) sitting on my desk that will play into my approach for 2009 as well. These quotes are from Life’s Little Instruction Calendar by H. Jackson Brown, which I highly recommend as there are many valuable pieces of advice in these calendars.
So what are the quotes on my desk?

Life is a bag of peaches. Be the juicy one.

When you first read that quote, you might find it cute and not give it much thought. Take a few minutes to really think about it though and you will start to see how you can really apply this principle to your life.
Everybody wants the juicy peach, the one that has reached just the right point of ripeness – not too firm and rigid like an unripe peach yet also not too soft and mushy like an over ripened peach.
Think about this in terms of your blog.
Readers enjoy reading – and commenting – on posts where the author is not afraid to admit their mistakes (the unripe peach) yet also stands up for what they believe in and is not a pushover (the over ripe peach).
Be nice, but firm, with people and they will return the favor.
Take the time to help people when you can in whatever way you can. It is funny but things like this have a way of coming back to you when you least expect it. When someone you helped later comes across an interesting opportunity or piece of information, they will remember the juicy peach and think of you.

You don’t need anyone’s permission to think.

Too many times it seems like people are conditioned not to think – or to wait for someone’s approval to take the time to think.
How many times have you been at work and mentioned, or heard, an idea that is quickly followed by a response that the idea will never work? Typically this negative response is delivered because people are afraid to think of what might be possible – afraid to explore the unknown.
There is a lot to be said for the comfort of that which is known.
However, that doesn’t mean that you should sit by and wait for someone to encourage you to think about the unknown.
Think about the impossible.
Without question, many of the thoughts and ideas that you have will never materialize into anything tangible. However, by taking the time to exercise your mind, you will begin to recognize when something is attainable and what you need to do to get there.
Thinking is free – you don’t need anyone to give you permission to think.
What quotes are influencing you this year?

Neil@PS3 January 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm

At work at the moment the quote which is ringing around is ‘If you want something doing properly, do it yourself!’
If that tells you something about where I work then so be it but that is the way it is

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Lol, I’ve experienced that myself from time to time.

Nicole Price January 14, 2009 at 11:03 am

This is the universal truth of employment. Amen to that.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Hair Products

Jayson January 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Both great quotes…quotes often inspire me to keep on “trucking” if things get a little off track
The only one I can think of off-the-top of my head is
They can because they think they can –
I think a lot of people don’t do things because they think they can’t, it’s a shame
Jaysons last blog post..Contest – $50 Plus – Ask A Home Builder

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:21 pm

That reminds me of the quote from Henry Ford: “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.

Ling@Uptake January 13, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I’m trying to control my impulse to talk first and think afterwards, so I think this fits the bill – “It is better to let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove it.” 🙂

derek January 13, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I like it! 🙂

Asher January 14, 2009 at 2:39 am

Ha, I like the “It is better to let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove it” quote but that’ll make the world a really quiet place, wouldn’t it?
If I had a quote… probably “You’ve got one life – Live it” or something along that line 🙂
Asher
Ashers last blog post..20 Point Starter Guide To Professional Blogging

derek January 14, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Welcome Asher, thanks for jumping in with a quote. Your quote reminds me of a 6-word meme that I did awhile back, which was:
Plan for tomorrow, live for today.

Nicole Price January 14, 2009 at 11:02 am

Derek, I quite like both quotes. The problem with the second one is that one tends to think too much! The trick to not thinking eludes one!
The two quotes that will be my refrain this year are:
“The real fault is to have faults and not to amend them. When you have faults, do not fear to abandom them” – Confucius.
“I have never met a man so ignorant that I could not learn something from him.” – Galileo Galilei
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Hair Products

derek January 14, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Nicole, you’ve found two great sources of inspirational quotes and I like both of those!

Jesse@SoLinkable January 18, 2009 at 10:04 am

I LOVE Galileo quotes. By far my favourite quote from him is:
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
Something about those old physicists, they are full of thought provoking quotes (though I may be biased with my physics degree ;))

Steve@trade show displays guru January 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm

hey Derek,
Thanks for the plug!
There are many excellent quotes above. I would add this one:
“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean (1931-1955)
~ Steve, aka the trade show displays guru
PS. Your email for this post came through with the subject line. Problem solved. 🙂
PPS. There is nothing like a perfectly ripe peach! 😉
Steves last blog post..Balance

derek January 14, 2009 at 9:45 pm

That James Dean quote is great!
Happy to hear that the email subject line is all straightened out now.

Nicole Price January 15, 2009 at 9:53 am

This is a fantastic quotation. What a pity that I had never come across this before. Thank you.
Nicole Prices last blog post..Good Deals on Hair Products

BigMick@Domain Names January 14, 2009 at 11:05 pm

A quote I like which I heard recently was:
“Be Better, Not Bitter”.
This can be applied to many things in life.

craig January 15, 2009 at 5:13 pm

That is so true. I really like that line, people do want to be the juicy one or the spicy one or something. I also agree that when you think something is possible and attainable, it can be. Think first, then talk.

derek January 15, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Spicy…that is a good one. I guess it would depend on your tastes, as being the spicy pepper seems more intriguing than being the juicy peach.

Nick@romandock dot com January 15, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Those are pretty good quotes. As a huge quote fan, I have heard most of the ones that people have posted in the comments so far and do like them.
Without getting too carried away, a couple that I can think of off the top of my head to add to the discussion are:
Dance like no one is watching
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try
Life is what happens, while you are busy making plans
The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one
Nicks last blog post..I Want To Use All Of My Phone’s Features

derek January 15, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Lol, my wife always wishes that nobody was watching when I am dancing.

Jesse@SoLinkable January 18, 2009 at 9:59 am

At the expense of sounding lame:
“All achievements, all earned riches, have their beginning in an idea” ~Napoleon Hill
I enjoy this quote, and always have. I think I’m going to post “You don’t need anyone’s permission to think.” on the billboard at work – it would kind of fit.
Jesses last blog post..Five Concept Cars That Shook Detroit

Claire@Love Letters, Quotes, Poems October 1, 2009 at 12:31 am

For me, it’s “There is no certainty, only opportunity.”.. It makes me try every opportunity that comes in my way.
.-= Claire@Love Letters, Quotes, Poems´s last blog ..Love Quotes – 3 =-.

MsPeaChY February 26, 2011 at 4:26 am

I love great words giving myself and the world around me inspiration when days are weary.. One of my fav and mst loved quotes I live by ‘Learn from the mistakes of others.You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself’

Cute Quotes June 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

“The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.”
Abraham Lincoln

Veronica Cervera@key biscayne condos August 6, 2011 at 12:26 am

I would like to share to you my favorite quote that inspired me for years – “One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests.” – John Stuart Mill. It’s so deep and pretty much touches everything we should be in life. Believe in yourself. That’s all that matters.

Lisa Plant September 7, 2011 at 6:52 am

Derek,
These are beautiful quotes! Love your insights about the bag of peaches. Do you believe that quotes can recharge our mind, body and soul? I just experienced it while reading your post. Thanks Derek!

derek September 7, 2011 at 8:14 am

Lisa, thank you for stopping by and sharing your comment.
I absolutely do believe that there are quotes that recharge you in many different ways. As a matter of fact, seeing your comment on this post and coming back to read it again before replying, I feel recharged myself–so thank you!
One additional note, I think it is up to the individual to interpret the quote and find the meaning that applies to their life. Simply reading a quote may not be enough to recharge you, but when you step back and analyze the meaning, that is where I feel you find the true value.

Steve@Electric Cig October 9, 2011 at 9:11 am

“Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it’s really how it works. ”
Guess who said that?