Speedlinking – Be Successful

by derek on January 19, 2009 · 42 comments

Ask someone if they want to be successful.
No really, ask someone – I’ll wait.
If the person you ask is like most people, they will look at you funny and then answer that of course they want to be successful.
Now ask them what steps they are taking to be successful.
Chirp…chirp…chirp.
While just about everyone wants to be successful, not everyone understands the process to become successful. This is something that I have struggled with myself and need to continue to improve.
If you could use a few pointers on how to achieve the success you want, take a look at the following posts.
1. Melanie from Dietriffic.com explains that one of the things we need to do to be successful is to stop negative thinking. It might sound corny but when it comes to success, often times we are our own worst enemy. For whatever reason, many people don’t believe they deserve to be successful and their negative thoughts contribute to them not being successful.
2. Laura Roeder from Roeder Studios shared a guest post at ProBlogger that details how to make deals with big shots in less than 10 minutes. While not a deal in the sense that Laura explains, I used many of these tips to secure interviews with big shots such as Darren Rowse, Shoemoney, and Leo Babauta.
3. Over at Beyond the Rhetoric, Michael Kwan asks what might seem like a simple question: Do you want to be normal?. While the question appears to be simple, the answer is more complex than you might think. People take comfort in making the safe decisions, but how much is that impacting their ability to be truly successful?
4. Phil Van Treuren from Contest Blogger details how he went from being out of a job to landing an SEO dream job close to home. Phil did something that might be considered out of the norm when he accepted a position with a small, family-owned business in an industry that he knew nothing about. How has it turned out?
5. Gary Jones from BlueFur walks us through another Weekend Project that is focused on how to make money with twitter. How many times have you heard someone say (or said yourself) that they wish they could find work doing XYZ? Well, Gary provides a great tip on how you can proactively find that work and make your own success.
Take some time to digest all of these outstanding posts that will put you on the path to achieving the success that you want. Nothing would make me happier than for all of us to be doing the work we love and achieve whatever success it is that we desire.
What tips do you have to be successful?

Gary Jones :: BlueFur.com January 19, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Thanks for the link 🙂
Gary Jones :: BlueFur.coms last blog post..Your SSL has been H@ck3d!

derek January 19, 2009 at 10:30 pm

You’re welcome Gary, thanks for the great tips! I’ve already implemented a few such searches in my current TweetDeck setup.

Michael Kwan @ Beyond the Rhetoric January 19, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for the mention.
Being normal means that you are going to be mediocre, hitting par at best. To be successful, to be exceptional, it is absolutely necessary to be abnormal. You just hope to be abnormal in a good way.
Michael Kwans last blog post..Albert Einstein Totally Creeps Me Out

derek January 19, 2009 at 10:32 pm

That last sentence is the one that I think leads many people to stay on the path of normalcy. 😉

Michael Kwan @ Beyond the Rhetoric January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm

No great success was ever achieved without great risk.
Michael Kwans last blog post..Do You Want to Be Normal?

derek January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm

And yet my wife didn’t like my idea of quitting my day job and living off of savings while I try to make a go at all of this crazy Interweb stuff. 🙂

Michael Kwan @ Beyond the Rhetoric January 20, 2009 at 12:13 am

I don’t blame her. Great risk can also result in great failure. That’s why everyone gravitates toward the normalcy of mediocrity.
Michael Kwans last blog post..Do You Want to Be Normal?

Johnny January 20, 2009 at 4:37 am

I think the same, today people confuses the “be anormal” with “be ridiculous”, I think we have to explain well this point since be anormal means to be out of schemes and offer something totally new or something old in a totally new way.

Nicole Price January 20, 2009 at 9:05 am

I totally disagree. Being normal is not in conflict with being an exceptional person. One has to clearly define what the word ‘success’ means to him. A normal physician may well be an exceptional diagnostician and both terms are not mutually exclusive.
Terms like these need to clearly defined. What IS par for one may well be five below par while the course may define it as a figure applicable for that course.
Unfortunately, we live in a world where some queer ideas about ‘success’ have become the norm and we have ended up with almost the whole world in great trouble.
Nicole Prices last blog post..MP3 Music

Jesse@SoLinkable January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I’m sorry, but I disagree that “one of the things we need to do to be successful is to stop negative thinking”. If you look at CEO’s or executives from around the world, I believe that you would agree they are (for the most part), well, not very nice people. Often times, those who succeed in business are able to keep focused by thinking negatively.
Jesses last blog post..Automakers Listening to What Gen Y Wants

derek January 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Ah, but I think there is a big difference in being a nice (or not so nice) person and negative thinking.
When I think of negative thinking, I look at thoughts such as “I can’t do that…” or “That won’t work because…”. That is where I think that CEOs (or any successful person) is different than most, as they always think they can do it and it will work.

Nick@romandock dot com January 20, 2009 at 12:41 am

They think they can do it and it will work, but they aren’t always the most tactful about getting what they want which leads to the perception of them being “not very nice” 🙂
Positive thinking goes a long way, but imagine what they could do if they added on some people skills 🙂
Nicks last blog post..Sunday Snapshots – 013

Jesse@SoLinkable January 20, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Ah. Now that I’ve actually read Melanie’s post (I admit – I didn’t follow the link), I see that it’s more about believing in yourself rather than thinking negatively about others… And I agree, thinking positively about yourself can go a long way in terms of success. I promise to read things more closely next time 😉
Jesses last blog post..Canada Marketing Summit

Mel T January 22, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Totally agree Derek, I’ve read a number of books lately on positive thinking…it’s powerful stuff!
It’s completely fine to realise the things you don’t do so well, in fact it’s healthy, because this will give you a goal to help you improve, it becomes unhealthy however when we begin focusing on the “I can’t do” rather than thinking on HOW we can improve.
Thanks for the link!
Mel Ts last blog post..7 Ways You Can Encourage Your Friends to be Healthy

derek January 23, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi Mel, thanks for stopping by! Always happy to help with a link. Hope things are going well.

Ling@Uptake January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I consider myself to be an abysmal failure :), and when I look back, I know exactly what things I did wrong. And the worst crime of all was not doing anything when it could possibly have been done. Most people are successful because they actually did something – whether normal or not. You can’t sit on your hands and expect to be a success.

derek January 19, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Absolutely, you have to do something to have any chance at success. As I have said here many times before, the success that I have achieved with making money from my blogs is because I have continued to try different things.
Some of them, actually a lot of them, fail and don’t make me a dime. But others work out and contribute to my bottom line.

Johnny January 20, 2009 at 4:40 am

I think you don’t have to worry about your failures. Evryone fails, have a look at Obama’s career. He wasn’t always on the top, now he’s president of USA. I think you don’t need success in everything you do but you need to learn some thing from everything you do. Rise up from the bottom and learn from mistakes are two of the most important things for the exitous man.

Ricardo Bueno January 20, 2009 at 7:06 am

If you want something, go for it! And don’t be afraid to ask for help along the way. I have to say that it definitely starts by eliminating all of that negative thinking that clouds our ambitions. Once you move past that, you have an open road ahead of you… Where it takes you is a matter of how willing you are to get what you want.
Ricardo Buenos last blog post..Greater E-mail Productivity with AwayFind

derek January 20, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Ricardo, you are absolutely correct. Taking the time to ask someone for help – and to extend help to others – when needed is important.
Btw, I wanted to say thank you for the personal note earlier today. The day got away from at work before I had a chance to respond, but I wanted to be sure to let you know it was much appreciated.

Nicole Price January 20, 2009 at 9:06 am

Derek, I could not stop myself from responding to Michael Kwan, which clearly explains my approach to life. Your last paragraph is what success is all about.
Nicole Prices last blog post..MP3 Music

derek January 20, 2009 at 9:52 pm

The dialog between all of you is outstanding, so please continue to share your responses on other comments as I think that only adds to the community.
And thanks for the feedback.

Jayson January 20, 2009 at 10:40 am

Nice speed linking Derek! That does sound corny “stop thinking negative” but it’s so true and IMO very important.

derek January 20, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Jayson. The negative thinking is something I battle from time to time. I’ve been trying to be more aware of it so I can begin to change that type of thought process. It certainly isn’t easy.

Laura Roeder January 20, 2009 at 12:48 pm

It’s cool to hear that you’ve used some of the same techniques! As some people noted in the comments of my post, the outline I gave is really universal for collaborating with anyone on any kind of project.

derek January 20, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Laura, thanks for stopping by to share in the dialog! I’d certainly agree that your outline can be applied to many different situations.
Now, I am wondering when we will hear more about this project with Gary! 🙂

olly@cheap computer parts January 22, 2009 at 3:18 am

I think the important aspect of becoming successful ( I am not there yet so cannot confirm!!) is begin dedicated to your goal throughout good and bad times.
The people that cannot be bothered are the ones that lose out – of course some people are lucky and fall into success – others are very unlikely and never find it despite hard work. However I still feel that the dedicated hard worked will always win out in the end.

derek January 23, 2009 at 8:53 am

True. Often times you hear stories of the people that fall into success are the ones that fall “out” of success just as easy. The people that get there through hard work and commitment are usually better suited to sustained success.

khaled January 22, 2009 at 7:47 am

I agree its very easy to become negative especially with the current economic climate the way it is.
Asking for help is something I find difficult to do but is vital as Ricaro pointed out, no one can be good at everything and we all hit stumbling blocks from time to time.

derek January 23, 2009 at 8:54 am

Absolutely, trying to do everything on your own can be a hindrance. Having the ability to recognize your weaknesses and partner up with someone that is strong in those areas is important.

SIM Only January 30, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I think its a bit harsh to say “get off your bottom and do something”. Many people try, try and try and never seem to get any luck. There many people out there that have been try new ventures one after another and seem to just be unlucky. There are also others who will come across an opportunity and take their chance.

Asher Awesome February 2, 2009 at 5:22 am

Hia Derek, I think to be successful requires a focus on the goals to achieve but also, having the flexibility to change the methods to reach them. There’s more than one road to success, no?
Asher
Asher Awesomes last blog post..Mind Mapping With Tony Buzan

Rob@Free iPhone February 6, 2009 at 10:17 am

Great post, some interesting articles there. Only just started looking into the blog scene, and this is one of the most useful posts I’ve read so far.
Robs last blog post..Hints and Tips

China Travel Blog February 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Excellent post with links to many other good posts, worth stumbling:)
China Travel Blogs last blog post..Foshan Trains

Bravo@Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes March 4, 2009 at 12:41 am

This is a good post but i have to agree with what “Sim Only” stated. it seems like with rankings on Google and other web related things, alot of it is just plain luck. Some people barely work and manage to “luckily” get ranked, but than there’s some poeple who works extremely hard but can never catch a break.

Neil@Free Wii March 4, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I don’t think it is luck. I have worked hard for my #1 position in google and before I built the site I knew nothing of SEO. I learnt everything from the web and have put a lot of hard work in

Warren P. Bonds May 30, 2009 at 4:56 pm

The only way to go above and beyond is to take risks. It’s not easy but it’s the only way to get what you need accomplished.

tom@A free iPhone June 4, 2009 at 9:03 am

You also neeed to be prepared to be less nice. In business you need to be hard and look after No1.

Adwido June 18, 2009 at 12:29 am

I remember my early days of Internet marketing. Trying everything under the sun. I thought I knew it all, now I know just how clueless I really was. Success is a process that happens continuously. You could be successful at the moment, but your business can fail next week if you fail to keep up with technology and other factors.

Veronica Cervera@miami beach condos August 6, 2011 at 1:08 am

Successful people are self-reliant and take responsibility. They don’t worry about blame and they never complain. They’re always in the balance and rarely panic. They breath easily, ask the right questions, and then make their decisions, even in a crisis.

simon@sim only deals October 10, 2011 at 2:20 am

Point 4. I really like this dream job thing. All the best to him.

Russ@Michigan Web Design February 13, 2012 at 2:07 am

Great post Derek! Whats my chances of having you write up a blog post about my company? ^_^