Vacation Like President Obama In Hawaii

by derek on July 17, 2009 · 73 comments

This post was written by P Ling, who is a travel writer for Uptake and also runs the Triphow blog.
A ‘Kamaaina’ in Hawaii is someone who is a native or has lived in Hawaii for a long time. President Barack Obama was born in Honolulu and spent most of his childhood and youth in Hawaii.
So when President Obama visits Hawaii along with First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia on a family vacation, it is as a Kamaaina.

President Obama on Vacation

As a travel writer, I always recommend travelers to get to know any place they visit like a local. Travel is not just about wearing sunglasses and a t-shirt, checking out the main tourist attractions and snapping pictures.
You need to understand the people, the culture, the food and feel comfortable talking, eating and traveling in a bus or train with the locals.
And who better to show you how to enjoy the many pleasures of the Hawaiian Islands like a local than their most famous son – President Barack Obama.
Just before he was sworn in as President, the Obamas took off on a 12-day year-end vacation to Kailua, in Oahu. If you would like to follow in the President’s footsteps and visit all the same places – an Obama-themed Hawaii vacation – then make note of the following places and activities:

• Tour of the USS Arizona Memorial
  • Golf – Obama has teed off at golf courses including at the Olomana Golf Links and Luana Hills Country Club and the Mid-Pacific Country Club
  • National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl (Obama’s grandfather is buried there)
  • Valley of the Temples Memorial Park
  • Visit to Aloha Tropical Farms, a macadamia nut farm
  • Hanauma Bay – A popular snorkeling destination
  • Sandy Beach – Obama’s favorite beach in Hawaii, where he goes body-surfing
  • Nuuanu Pali Lookout – A historic and scenic tourist destination
  • Honolulu Zoo
  • Dolphin show at Sea Life Park
  • Day-trip to Magic Island (Ala Moana Beach Park)

As for food, the President enjoys the restaurants of Kapahulu on the outskirts of Waikiki. He’s especially fond of plate lunches from the Rainbow Drive-In and the 24-hour Oahu mainstay, Zippy’s.

Hawaiian Food

He took daughters Sasha and Malia, along with some friends, for some shave ice at Island Snow in Kailua. While he was playing golf at the Olomana Golf Links, Obama also wolfed down two spam musubis – which is a rice ball, with a slice of cooked spam on it and wrapped with nori, or dried seaweed.
Wouldn’t you love to enjoy a vacation in Hawaii, just like the President? If so, now you know what to do, where to go and what to eat.
Photo credits: Obama photos by senorglory; Plate lunch photo by hellochris; Shave ice photo by Inuyaki

Steve@trade show displays guru July 18, 2009 at 9:31 pm

hey P Ling,
Nice write up. Something tells me that if I vacation in Hawaii I won’t get quite the same treatment as the President. 😀
That said, I’ve always wanted to go to Pearl Harbor, and I hear the beaches in Hawaii are pretty nice too. Your post just motivated me a bit more. Thanks!
Steve, the trade show displays guru
.-= Steve@trade show displays guru´s last blog ..Carrot Love | Carrot Art =-.

MiaC. July 20, 2009 at 9:41 am

would definitely enjoy the sun and surf in Hawaii but with much more privacy and freedom than what the president might have experienced. it was great that he got to spend a wonderful time with family and friends!

Ling@Uptake July 21, 2009 at 8:56 am

@Steve – You’re right, you won’t get the same treatment as the President. But there’s a good side to that – no secret service stopping you from just wandering around, and you can enjoy a swim or a meal without having photogs chasing you. 🙂
@MiaC – That’s what I think too. President Obama certaily seemed to be enjoying his vacation, even with all the publicity. It’s even more fun without all the restrictions he faces.

I Love Hawaii July 21, 2009 at 9:32 am

Leaving for vacation in Hawaii in 2 weeks and looking forward to visiting the places you mentioned, sans Secret Service. Thanks for the info!

jackson July 21, 2009 at 11:37 am

Great information thanks for sharing this with us.In fact in all posts of this blog their is something to learn . your work is very good and i appreciate your work and hopping for some more informative posts . Again thanks for sharing.

m4stono July 22, 2009 at 7:45 pm

is he really young obama?
.-= m4stono´s last blog ..Javanese Spiritualism part 2 =-.

Les - Car Vehicles July 23, 2009 at 4:51 pm

It looks absolutely breath taking. Ever since I first saw Hawaii 5-0 (I know corny but hey the 70’s were cool!) and the mountains and beaches I fancied a visit, and Waikiki – ooh I wish I was there!…

Ingrid July 24, 2009 at 4:14 am

some day I so want to visit Hawaii myself! Beautiful place!
.-= Ingrid´s last blog ..Biker-trio on the road =-.

Charlie Pitt @Directory List July 24, 2009 at 7:25 am

yeah, you won’t get same treatment as Obama gets, but still if you are familiar with destination place then you can make your way out, Hawaii is beautiful destination and mine fav too including Lanai,Molokai, Ohau, Kauai and Nihau.

Terry @ ipod repair July 25, 2009 at 10:04 am

Glad to see your back to blogging. Looking forward to more posts!!!

Daisy@pregnancy week by week July 25, 2009 at 10:34 am

Somehow I just can’t imagine President Obama eating some riceballs with cooked spam on them. I wouldn’t mind though, after a great day on the beach.

commodity trading basics July 27, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Man, I would LOVE to try one of those musubis!!! I’m a die-hard Spam fan anyway, but hooking it up with the nori must be the real deal.

Tony August 1, 2009 at 6:25 am

Pille danach August 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I do hope, O’ becomes a role model for other leaders in the rest of the world.

hypnosisadmin August 3, 2009 at 8:25 am

Like Ingrid i also want to visit Hawaii. I love the beaches! I also want to compare if beaches in Hawaii are comparable to Boracay in the Philippines.
.-= hypnosisadmin´s last blog ..Have You Ever Wanted Something So Much You Couldn’t Get It? =-.

TV Stands August 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Who really cares though what Obama eats or does on vacation?
.-= TV Stands´s last blog ..Big Screen TV Stands =-.

stormcharity August 5, 2009 at 9:35 am

I do agree that travel is not just wearing sunglasses or snapping picture but we need to understand about the culture, the food, the people and join with locals.
seem Barak Obama is really love his motherland.. 🙂
.-= stormcharity´s last blog ..The DINGO =-.

scott@top gbg distributor August 5, 2009 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the info. Hawaii is on my ‘to-do’ list of places to see, and now I know a bit more about what to look for when I get there. Of course, having some one else pay for it would be nice!
.-= scott@top gbg distributor´s last blog ..Congratulations – New Team Member Advancements! =-.

Jim@Racing Games August 7, 2009 at 1:57 am

Beautiful place! I have always thought of visiting there but never got a chance, Will definitely visit some day there. It seems President Obama Had a lot of fun with his family out there. And i love that shave ice, its so cool and tasty. I would like to taste spam musubis, it look yummy! 😉

T5 August 7, 2009 at 9:42 am

I have been to Hawaii once…got to say… I wasnt a big fan

T5 August 7, 2009 at 9:42 am

BTW its great to see some activity on this site again!!

Terry @ iphone repair August 8, 2009 at 10:54 am

Glad to see the activity!

Terry @ iphone repair August 8, 2009 at 10:55 am

Oh guest poster !! Where are you derek?

Terry@mh400/u August 10, 2009 at 7:44 am

I love Hawaii….very cool club scene.

Terry@ mh400/u August 10, 2009 at 7:44 am

sorry wrong format

Dan August 10, 2009 at 11:21 am

Would love to go to Hawaii, definitely love to try the surfing out there 😛

koh samui beach resorts August 13, 2009 at 3:34 am

Travel packages for Hawaii are without a doubt one of the best deals available in the travel industry. As one of the largest tourist destinations in the world, and the fact that Hawaii lies in the middle of Asia and North America, you can find great package deals throughout the year. Here are a few tips that will help you find travel packages that suit your needs.
Compare the difference between package versus hotel deals. In my experience you’ll get a better deal overall with the travel package, which includes hotel, car and flights. However, there are always airfare deals out there, so shop around; you can always book the hotel special to obtain a free night (provided you book five nights).

Brewster@Little Coloured Bricks August 19, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Would love to go on holiday to Hawaii, however I’ll settle for Cornwall this year 🙂
.-= Brewster@Little Coloured Bricks´s last blog ..Ninja Assassin Trailer and Legos =-.

Rick @ Tamrac Camera Bag August 25, 2009 at 2:01 am

I think it is truly wonderful to have a president in the White House who can appreciate some great Hawaiian comfort food–who actually knows what a loco moco plate is and probably nibbles on malasadas and chichi dango, too. Sasha and Malia should convince their Dad to install a shaved ice machine at the residence.

Max August 25, 2009 at 2:04 am

Haha Awesome photos.
It’s always good to see a president on a personal level.
.-= Max´s last blog ..List of Web Design Mistakes You Should Avoid =-.

Larry @ Metal Halide August 27, 2009 at 6:55 am

Obama was a cute kid

Larry @ Metal Halide August 27, 2009 at 6:56 am

Not a big fan of Hawaii…was there on spring break, not enough nightlife.

Eric @ Touch Up Paint August 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I guess President Obama and family decided to try a different island vacation this month: Martha’s Vineyard versus Oahu. I wonder which one the kids prefer?

Annabel@Forex Trading September 8, 2009 at 10:52 am

I too would love to check out the sites Hawaii has to offer – maybe soon! Need to add to my Forex Trading profits first!
.-= Annabel@Forex Trading´s last blog ..Forex Robot Reviews – Do Forex Robots Really Work? =-.

Trucking Jobs September 10, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Dang… I wanna take a 12 day vacation in Hawaii! Hell, ill even take a week vacation in Vegas.

Eren Mckay September 11, 2009 at 1:48 am

I would love to visit Hawaii. One of my best friends is from there.
That picture of Obama is very cool.
Those places to go would be at the top of my priority list.
All the best,
Eren Mckay
.-= Eren Mckay´s last blog ..Important papers organizer & how you can organize office papers =-.

Robert Brown September 13, 2009 at 5:10 am

Those are some nice pictures of Obama that I have never seen, thanks so much for sharing.

Chuck @ Blogging For Profit September 18, 2009 at 8:51 am

I went to Hawaii once, but I was on the way to Indonesia and didn’t get to spend much time. I would love to go back and vacation there. Nice post.
.-= Chuck @ Blogging For Profit´s last blog ..The Blogging Good, The Bad And The Ugly! =-.

Krystian@Hotels Hastings September 22, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I love how politicians spend our money 🙂
At least Obama is reforming the health care now, so let’s let him stay at any hotel he wants, as long as he accomplishes what he promised on the election.

Jack@Trucking Jobs September 23, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Whoa, I would kill to be able to go on a vacation like that! I think the best one I’ve ever really had as a 5 day trip to Lake Tahoe!

John@Trijicon TA31F September 24, 2009 at 10:27 am

That food in the photo really kind of looks gross! Jack – where in Lake Tahoe do you suggest going? I’ll be there next month and have never been.
.-= John@Trijicon TA31F´s last blog ..Trijicon TA01NSN ACOG on Sale =-.

WLB September 25, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Like most of the people here in NZ we are pro Obama, and I have to admit to lean a little to the right.
Hawaii does sound fantastic.

Turning Winds October 2, 2009 at 5:58 am

I wonder what the family felt like when they had the most recent vacation, must be a little chaotic because Obama just won the presidential election. Anyway, I find the list helpful. My husband and I are planning to have our 2nd honeymoon vacation in Hawaii next year.

All My Pet Supplies October 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Sounds like he had a wonderful trip. i would love to follow in his footsteps if I just had the money he does! Well I will keep dreaming of my trip to Hawaii, maybe someday!

Bloggers Payback October 6, 2009 at 3:34 pm

This brings back memories when I was in Hawaii with my wife… It was before the kids were born, and we had a wonderful time… Well, now I know what to do next time we go there… 🙂
Thanks: Rob

Lucy@Digital Satellite TV October 7, 2009 at 12:19 pm

This looks like the best vacation ever! Thanks for posting this info for those of us who don’t know anything about Hawaii.

Jason Wong October 13, 2009 at 6:11 am

Well, I do love to enjoy a vacation in Hawaii like Mr. president, but I doult that the people in Hawaii will treat me like the president…

KL Karrington October 14, 2009 at 2:52 am

I obviously need to go on a vacation. I seem to be in front of the PC for years! The only tan i get is from monitor radiation. LOL

John October 18, 2009 at 5:01 am

The food looks not very attractive! =(

Spot@cheap cruise tips October 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

Hawaii is such a great travel destination. I’m really surprised that there are other commenters here who don’t seem to like it. Maybe they didn’t go to the right places? Sandy Beach (which you mentioned) is pretty special–a good place to start a Hawaii trip.
.-= Spot@cheap cruise tips´s last blog ..LOST Hawaii =-.

Gav@SnorkelingSet October 23, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for your article.
I hope to get to Hawaii for a vacation and some serious snorkeling sometime soon.
.-= Gav@SnorkelingSet´s last blog ..Snorkeling Fin Options =-.

gilles@como ganar dinero October 27, 2009 at 5:12 am

Great tips, Hawaii is an amazing travel destination, a part from what you mention I also like to learn bits of the local language, just som phrases to hang around thet local really apreciate the effort,
.-= gilles@como ganar dinero´s last blog ..Como ganar dinero con Adsense =-.

TryEMC.com - Debt Relief October 27, 2009 at 11:04 am

President Barrack Obama should try Boracay islands or the Bantayan Islands in the Philippines.

Deborah@Panic Attack Symptoms October 28, 2009 at 11:19 am

My family and I went to Hawaii last month and we were blown away. However I am sure that we did not get the same treatment that the president got. However that is fine by me as I do not want all that attention.
.-= Deborah@Panic Attack Symptoms´s last undefined ..If you register your site for free at =-.

MikeHID October 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Yeah that food doesn’t look good at all 🙁

jack@Truck Jobs October 28, 2009 at 6:23 pm

New post = thx. Tired of having to see the Obaminator with his shirt off.
-Jack

jack@Truck Jobs October 28, 2009 at 6:25 pm

The food doesnt look bad, except for whatever that thing is in the bottom right.
-Jack

Victor October 30, 2009 at 6:42 am

It would be awesome to take a vacation but I am barely above water on the bills, something tells me you hav eto be as rich as a President now adays to take a avacation. Thanks for a good job.
.-= Victor´s last blog ..Top Five Reasons: People Succeed to Make Money Online =-.

Jeff @ Junior Golf Bag October 30, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Hawaii is on my vacation destinations list but I’d prefer alot better type of food on my trip.

arnold November 2, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Let me invite the OBAMA and company to the best destination in Philippines. Just visit Cebu and you will enjoy SUMILON Island exotic resort
.-= arnold´s last blog ..Riverstone Castle =-.

andy November 3, 2009 at 11:45 am

nice itinerary. I really like whenever he treats his kids for ice cream bar, cheese burger or snow cone.

hawaiian November 24, 2009 at 4:38 pm

i think this is the most popular hawaii beach rental in Kailua oahu .. Oahu Lani and great pavilion are the same right?
.-= hawaiian´s last blog …Maui Hawaii Luxury Villa Vacation Rental =-.

Joe-Chip May 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

Tony The Alarm Guy June 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

He looked so cute when he was a little boy. Thanks for sharing

Mr. F430 June 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

I was looking for Obama’s babay picture to use for my school project. Thanks for sharing!

Electric Turbo Guy July 9, 2010 at 11:29 am

Thank you so much for sharing, it was very informative

Mr. Clean Teeth August 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm

He looks really cute. Thanks for the pics. I have never seen these before!

Settlement Purchaser January 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

It looks like his skin got a lot lighter.

LED_Lights_Man June 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

I will vote for him again. Great guy in my opinion

Veronica Cervera@Downtown Miami Condominiums August 4, 2011 at 12:07 am

I think we could all learn something from Obama. I mean he’s the President and we all know how busy this man is. Nevertheless, he seem to have full control of his time to maintain a work-life balance. He’s never been rumored to have neglected family and himself. We even see him playing basketball during his break. I guess that’s why he’s so effective and efficient.

Hidlight_Accessories_HID September 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Isn’t he always on vacation?

Steve@Electric Cig October 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thanks for sharing. I’d love to go to Hawaii and I’ve been planning to go there and now i know where to go. Keep up the good work!

Jack@Wall Heaters December 30, 2011 at 3:41 am

Haha. Loved the pictures! 😀 And I’ve myself been contemplating visit Hawaii. Just haven’t found enough time yet.