Black Friweek – Is It A Day Or A Week?

by derek on November 21, 2009 · 42 comments

As many of you know, the day after Thanksgiving, known by many as Black Friday, is the craziest shopping day of the year.
How crazy you ask?
Oh let’s see…
It is the type of crazy where people stampede one another trying to grab the last thingamabob on the shelf.
It is the type of crazy where people are skipping their Thanksgiving meals to camp outside of stores waiting for the chance to land the amazing “door buster” deal of the century, never mind the fact that the store usually only has one or two of these door buster products and there are 400 people all waiting to get their hands on it.
Now, do you want to wait in line with a bunch of loonies bargain hunters?
Or would you rather stay sound asleep on Friday morning, sleep off your turkey coma, and wake up satisfied knowing that you’ve still landed some amazing bargains?

Sleep In And Still Get Bargains

There is a reason that I have stayed snuggled under my covers (yes, that’s right – I am not afraid to say I snuggle under my covers) while my wife wakes up at some ungodly hour of the morning to plan her shopping attack (and no, it is not because I cannot physically move due to said turkey coma, well, not entirely anyways).
Sure, I love a great bargain like the next person but I’m not insane.
Rather than fight the crowds for one of those dumb Zhu Zhu Pets, which you’re not going to find anyways, stay in bed and take advantage of how some retailers, such as Amazon.com, are kicking off the craziest shopping “day” of the week early, in some cases as early as Monday.

New Deals All Week

Beginning on Monday, Amazon will have a special Black Friday sales page where they will be announcing amazing new deals every single day of the week.
The thing that I find interesting about what Amazon is doing is that they are supposedly searching for the best Black Friday deals everywhere and anywhere, so they can not only beat the competition’s prices but bring you the deals earlier in the week. New deals will be added throughout the day, each day of the week, so be sure to check often to see what is available.
Maybe you’re a glutton for punishment and want to endure the mob mentality of people shopping on Black Friday (the actual day, not the Black Friweek that I am coining this week-long event).
If so, knock yourself out.
Personally, I have a goal to wrap up my Christmas shopping by Wednesday evening using Amazon’s special Black Friday deals page so I can rest peacefully on Friday morning.
Who’s with me?

Kelvin Kao November 21, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Yeah, I tend to think that the internet can provide the same discounts too so there’s no need to go early to get in line. But I guess it’s an experience and kinda fun too. Not that I have any particular thing that I’ve been waiting all year to buy.
.-= Kelvin Kao´s last blog …Puppetry Classes =-.

derek November 21, 2009 at 10:44 pm

We do as much of our shopping as possible online. My wife does still head out every year on Black Friday but I’ve personally never done it. Someone has to stay home and sleep, err I mean with the kids, right?!?

Eric@Unique Baby Blankets November 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I went to a jewelry store to try to buy my high school girlfriend a gift for Christmas once. Once. I will never do that again. Those women are crazy out there!
I am equally excited about Amazon and plan on checking them out frequently for some good deals.

derek November 24, 2009 at 8:38 am

It is quite amazing to hear some of the stories about how people lose all sense of self-control when presented with some of these deals. It is not uncommon to hear of people fighting in the store, running each other over with carts, trampling one another.
With the economy what it is, I am curious if the behavior will be even worse as people try to land the deals to save money.

Zuleika November 23, 2009 at 9:44 am

Sometimes the deals are better in the stores sometimes not. I actually saved $100 with an online deal at home depot and all of the retailers were nowhere near as close when I went shopping for it. Sometimes I wonder about these deals though. I’ll bet that some retailers actually mark up prices before offering discounts to make it look better.

Darrin November 23, 2009 at 9:45 am

Grr my wife’s name was in there.

derek November 24, 2009 at 8:40 am

It would not surprise me to see that retailers raise their prices, or have naturally inflated prices so they can regularly offer “sales” to make it seem like you are getting a discount.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, no matter if you use your name or your wife’s name. 🙂

Tenzi November 24, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Yes, indeed. People become crazy about low prices or when they are lower with 50 % or more. It’s the quickest way to sell your products without worry.
Let’s see that Black Friday. I’m curious

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I didn’t hear of any crazy stories about Black Friday disasters, but by the time I woke up on Friday I am sure most people were out and back home with their great deals.

Kaja November 26, 2009 at 5:02 am

Somebody always gets injured on black friday from the crazy consumer mobs… I’m staying home that day.

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:27 pm

You and me both. I stayed home and didn’t even hear my wife get up to head out for her shopping excursion. She didn’t see anything too crazy this year, other than a ridiculous line wrapped around the store at Target with people waiting to checkout.

Gary@Fluoropolymer Coating November 26, 2009 at 11:43 am

I am totally with you.
This Black Friday business is ridiculous. Commercialism has totally hijacked the purpose of the holidays and it really disappoints me. Thanksgiving and the holidays should be about enjoying the people around you.
Thankfully, my family saved itself from the insanity several years ago and we continue to enjoy ourselves.

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:29 pm

Gary, thanks for the comment. This year we contacted our family members and requested that nobody buy us gifts, but to buy for the kids if they were so inclined. As an alternative to a gift exchange, we proposed that we all get together for an outing downtown to see the Christmas lights, do some window shopping, and share a good meal.

Janedoe November 27, 2009 at 9:54 am

I’m not going to buy something I don’t need just because it’s on sale. I think that makes me less of a woman… 🙂

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:30 pm

You made me laugh as I don’t know how many times my wife has grabbed something on clearance because it is an unbelievable price even though we really don’t need said item. She is a great bargain shopper though!

Internet Strategist @GrowMap November 29, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I’m with you, Derek. I’m not into “going” shopping any time and joining a stampede of shoppers would make my list of the last place I would want to be – even if it were at a reasonable hour (for a non-morning person).
Yes, everyone, I know I’m not “normal” for a female person. 🙂
There are going to be strong discounts all holiday shopping season. They are already so deep that it is unlikely it will make any difference whether you shop early, late or in between this year. Retailers will just be happy if you shop at all.
.-= Internet Strategist @GrowMap´s last blog …Best of GrowMap: Our Pillar Foundation Content =-.

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I agree with you that I think the discounts will be readily available throughout the holiday season. I’m doing some price comparison shopping for a purchase I want to make for myself, and since I’m in no rush I can sit back and watch for a great price on what I want.

sophie November 30, 2009 at 4:02 am

i would like congratulate u on building such a valauble site.
i’m sure yours visitors find your site as useful as did.

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Well thanks, I hope people find the site useful. 😉

Sport Lisboa Benfica November 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Black Friday is really crazy, I even saw some deals for 1K USD where you could get 1 PC, 1 22″ monitor, 1 laptop, 1 netbook and a printer! How crazy is that???
Wonder if they are any good though… anybody heard of it?
.-= Sport Lisboa Benfica´s last blog …Lisbon’s derby finishes in a 0-0 draw =-.

derek November 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Didn’t hear of any deals like that myself…

Thomas @ Infiniti of Montclair December 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Hey Derek, you made a great point here. Many people dont consider the online shopping option. I guess $3.8 million was spent on “Black Monday”. BUT I must say if you are looking for a new car, Black Friday is the best day to buy a car. Seems strange but true. Most people are concerned with the retail shopping and dont think about the dealerships, so sometimes there are great deals. Just some FYI for all you guys =]

derek December 3, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Thomas, thanks for contributing to the discussion and highlighting one area that many people probably don’t consider when thinking of getting holiday deals. I’d heard a teaser on the news about a big car shopping day but had not heard the story for the additional details.
Now, wouldn’t you like to donate a loaner car to me to drive to and from work (about 500 miles per week in Chicago traffic) to advertise your business? I’d be happy with a G37 Coupe (heck, even an old G35 Coupe would do). 😉

ralph December 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm

A good day for shopping.

Atlanta Lawyer December 9, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I personally try to avoid all retail stores starting from black Friday till about a week after Christmas. People get crazy trying to buy gifts and employees get exhausted and cranky. The more shopping I can get done online the better.

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:37 am

We usually shoot for having all of our holiday shopping done by Thanksgiving, so visiting the stores is much more relaxing when we do need to go out for something – but we still do the bulk of our shopping online.

Frank Goley@ABC Business Consulting December 12, 2009 at 9:20 am

online shopping is the best idea to choose, it gives duty free products and it is cheap too as compared to products sold in malls and in shops.

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:38 am

It is still important to do comparison shopping online though. Just like with retail stores, you will find much different prices across the web so it pays to do your research.

Matt December 13, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Black Friday is one of those: I’ll do it once to discover, that I’ll never do it again. Unless you’re just content with fighting crowds and traffic. I’m first case. I was much younger the first and last time that I took on Black Friday. Shopping at home, all the way for me. Hope your staying safe and staying home! -mattkendrick.com

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:39 am

Thanks for the comment Matt. I’m doing my best to stay safe but things have been a bit hectic as the year winds to a close. Who told me it would be a good idea to take on a kitchen remodel while also working on a critical project at work?!?

Werbung Bocholt December 14, 2009 at 1:42 am

Hello,
Nice post I Like your site very well and continue to do so. I have bookmarked your site.
.-= Werbung Bocholt´s last blog … =-.

sandra1125 December 14, 2009 at 3:46 am

I think I`d better choose online-shopping

Gry dla dziewczyn December 19, 2009 at 10:28 am

I love christmas shopping! I was doing this all yesterday morning. Marry Christmas everyone

BBB-10 December 19, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Nice work!!!
This is a great blog!
Cant wait for the next post.
Good blogs are hard to find!
I would really like to keep reading your blogs.

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:40 am

There are lots of posts in the archives that you can keep reading while I try to get the next post lined up. 🙂

Daisy December 21, 2009 at 2:01 am

I can remember when i was little my parents, aunts and uncles would get up early, leave all of us kids at home and go to walmart at 5am. I have never nor will i ever do that. First of all it is stupid to fight over material ideas and second it is way to early to get up.
.-= Daisy´s last blog …Gift Cards for the Christmas Season =-.

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:42 am

I’m with you Daisy. My wife shared a few stories with me this year of people sprinting through the store to get the item they wanted, and how people come close to blows as they hit each other with carts and push people out of their way.
I thought it might be fun to go next year with a video camera and simply capture people and the way they behave.

William Crawford December 21, 2009 at 9:29 am

I’m hoping for the next post to come, I have read your articles and it’s very informative. Thank you. Happy holidays!

derek December 22, 2009 at 10:43 am

I’ve got a few ideas churning for the next post but haven’t rounded any of them out into a post yet. Happy holidays to you as well.

Spot December 26, 2009 at 8:40 am

I came for the next post as well. Hope you had a merry Christmas.
.-= Spot´s last blog …Reviews of the Best Travel Cameras =-.

derek December 27, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Well, I hope you stuck around as the next post was just published. We did have an amazing Christmas and are preparing for the New Year. Hope you had a Merry Christmas as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Louis Trombley @ Chicago Small Business October 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I love living in this day and age. It’s so much easier to do all your shopping online, unlike the ‘dark ages’—like five years ago!