Earn $100 With DerekTV

by derek on December 27, 2009 · 11 comments

After years of cable service with Comcast, I recently reached the tipping point where the monthly bill had become far too ridiculous for what we were receiving.

Out With The Old

Sure, Comcast was flexible in that you could call up to complain every six months or so and they would throw you a teaser price tier for a few months. But after so long you begin to wonder why their long-term customers are shown such little love. It is unfortunate that companies spend so much effort on securing new customers and not making an effort to keep their existing customers – not exactly the type of good customer service that we like to see.
To be fair to Comcast, one area that they have truly excelled is their customer service on social media, in particular Twitter. For any existing Comcast customers, the next time you have a problem send a tweet to @ComcastCares, @ComcastDete, or @ComcastBonnie – each of which have helped me out a handful of times.

In With the New

Now, based on the title of this post you might think that I’ve become so fed up with the available choices that I’ve decided to launch my own cable or satellite service.
As cool as that might be, I haven’t come into an endless supply of money so instead I signed up for DirecTV (who also happens to be on Twitter @DirecTV). Many years ago I had DirecTV service and I can tell you that I never thought I would return to their customer database, but they made an offer that was difficult to pass up.
So here I am, enjoying my new DerekTV (credit for the name play goes to my “ich” brother @Derrich) and saving a nice chunk of money every month compared to what I was paying.

$100 For You…And Me

If you’ve found yourself paddling in the same boat of over-priced cable service and you’re looking to make a change, give me a shout and you can save yourself an extra $100.
DerekTV (that does have a nice ring to it, no?) has an offer of a $100 credit applied to your account when referred by an existing customer. In the spirit of full disclosure, the existing customer also receives a $100 credit to their account.
So far I’ve hit one snafu with DerekTV and that is that I missed a Chicago Blackhawks game aired on the Versus channel, as Comcast and DirecTV are in a pissing match over fees much like Comcast had recently with the NFL Network.
In my eyes, that is a small price to pay for the amount of money I am saving by switching over to DerekTV – and the availability of the Speed Channel on my package more than makes up for it.
Don’t forget – if you’re making the switch to DirecTV, get a referral from ME or someone else you know and save yourself an extra $100 on top of the other savings.

Loretta December 28, 2009 at 11:56 am

We are also looking to switch … we’re considering switching to Verizon next month.
.-= Loretta´s last blog …Tropical Coconut Burst Cookie Recipe =-.

derek December 28, 2009 at 12:18 pm

The Verizon FiOS service is not available in my area, nor is the U-verse service from AT&T which was also a consideration. Looking at a comparison between Dish and DirecTV, I opted to go back to my original choice.
Thanks for stopping by Loretta!

Carico December 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I will admit I am tired of paying for my overpriced Comcast cable bill. But are you really saving that much by the time you buy the equipment for DerrekTV. It is strange how much money Comcast spends getting new customers but they do need to do more to keep customers. I will look into the new system and let you know if I need a referral. After all saving $100 is right up my alley!

derek December 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm

The deal that I signed up for included a free HD DVR receiver and up to 4 free standard receivers. The HD dish is included as well, and on top of all that I receive a $100 Visa prepaid card after 90 days. So I had zero cost for the equipment, get a $100 Visa card, and got the $100 credit from a referral.
On top of all that, I am paying $49.99 per month as opposed to the $110 per month with Comcast. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.

durun January 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

And that the idea of creating their own satellite or cable broadcasting still not bad at all:)) And then you can undermine the entire service is under him and earn

Brian H. January 21, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Sounds like a lot of churches I know.
“It is unfortunate that companies spend so much effort on securing new customers and not making an effort to keep their existing customers – not exactly the type of good customer service that we like to see.”
.-= Brian H. hopes you will read… Carnival Cruise Lines to Return to Europe in 2011 =-.

Chad May 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm

How is the direct Tv experiement going?
I am spending way to much money for Time Warner.
Do you use Directv for Internet aswell?
.-= Chad hopes you will read… Playstation 3 Problems updated Mon Apr 5 2010 12:35 pm CDT =-.

derek May 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm

So far so good – and every month I get a nice reminder of the benefits with a much smaller bill. We’ve added the HD DVR capabilities and still spend quite a bit less than we were spending with Comcast.
We don’t use DirecTV for the interweb, we decided to keep our Comcast cable modem for that service. Since I often work from home I wanted to be sure to keep something that has worked well.
Give me a shout if you’re interested in DirecTV as we can each get a $100 credit on our bill with a referral. 🙂

Consolidation of Student Loan November 8, 2010 at 6:39 am

I have had both services and I can’t leave Comcast because I love on demand so much!

Brian Kinkade@elizabeth real estate August 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

I think DirecTV wins in PQ and has more HD channels.

Janice@Playstation 4 February 23, 2012 at 7:26 am

$100 is nothing to shake a stick at… Although it barely fills up my vehicle with gas these days! I’m hestitant because it’s DirectTV. Depending on who you talk to, I’ve read some very good reviews, and I’ve also read some very bad reviews.