Do You Have An SSP?

by derek on February 5, 2010 · 29 comments

With what some would say is the pinnacle of American sports upon us, I want to ask you a question.
Do you have an SSP – Super (Bowl) Sunday Party – or do you prefer the quiet of watching the game at home?
While I am always up for a party, I would personally prefer to be holed away in a mountain cabin with that special someone enjoying a relaxing day and then tune in for the game. Particularly if my favorite team is playing in the big game.
Nothing can ruin the experience more than when your team is falling behind and that guy that barely knows the difference between football and futbol starts running his mouth that your team is terrible. That they have no chance to come back and win. Sorry, but I’m the only one that is allowed to criticize my team.
Unfortunately for me, being a fan of the Chicago Bears, I haven’t had too many opportunities to cheer for my team in the Super Bowl. As such, I don’t mind hosting or attending the big parties where the focus is less on the game and more on the experience.
For the game this year, I have to admit that I am more interested in some of the prop bets – such as how many times Archie Manning will be shown on camera – than I am in the game itself.
Not really being a fan of either team, I will say that I am pulling for the Indianapolis Colts to win even though they were the team that knocked off my Beloved Bears just a few years ago. With that being said, I won’t be terribly disappointed if the New Orleans Saints pull off the victory, although I imagine that hearing “Who ‘dat?” will get old really quick.
So what do you have planned for the weekend?
For me, as much as I’d like to be quietly enjoying my own SSP, it looks like that will have to wait for another time.

Jill Green February 6, 2010 at 9:14 am

There is a huge SSP next door, but me and hubby will just drop by and not stay. I work on the computer all weekend and we both prefer to do the nesting thang.

derek February 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Jill, thanks for the note – that’s the way to do it, make an appearance and then retreat to the solitude of your own home.

Arch Supports February 9, 2010 at 3:42 am

That seems nice.
.-= Arch Supports hopes you will read… Arch Supports for Plantar Fasciitis =-.

Jason Presley February 10, 2010 at 11:41 pm

This is the first time I heared ssp. I think it’s a very good idea to also go for socialising once in a while but I think watching at home w/ my family is the very best thing to do.

derek February 16, 2010 at 6:25 am

Jason, thanks for sharing. I’m in agreement that socializing is a good thing, but it has its time and place.

steve@ howtostartablog.com February 15, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I had a SSP – planned a BBQ in the backyard, and it freakin’ rained! No worries, just had to bust out the 10’x10′ tent. Great game!
.-= steve@ howtostartablog.com hopes you will read… How to Add Google Analytics to Wordpress =-.

derek February 16, 2010 at 6:26 am

Sounds like a fun time Steve! We host a 4th of July party every year and it never fails that it rains. But clearing out the garage and putting up the tent in the backyard still makes for an enjoyable day.

Brian H. February 15, 2010 at 11:25 pm

As a fellow Bears fan who also loves the Steelers, I used to only watch the Super Bowl when one of my teams was in it. This year, my wife made me watch the game even though our teams had long been defeated. Maybe the Bears will get there in a few years. If only Payton and McMahon could come back.
.-= Brian H. hopes you will read… The Epson Artisan 50 may be the right printer for your needs =-.

derek February 16, 2010 at 6:27 am

It’s a good thing you’re also aligned with the Steelers, otherwise you would have had quite the drought on watching the Super Bowl. The Bears will need at least a few years to get back there based on their recent mess related to the coaching staff.

Bill.D February 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

For the folks whining about their team records – I am a Lions fan so quit your belly aching! (note I did not say I was a PROUD Lions fan – no such thing…)
We stayed home with the kids and watched as a family – filtering commercials as appropriate for little eyes. Time for a DVR, methinks…
At least it was a decent game this year.
.-= Bill.D hopes you will read… Review of GSI Percolator =-.

derek February 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

During the season, I hope you filter the Lions games from those little eyes! To be fair, I really shouldn’t be talking as the Bears are on a downward spiral and I don’t see the bottom yet.

Tom February 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’ve never been to an SSP, but we do always get together when the All Blacks are playing over a few beers at home, not quite on the scale of the superbowl, but hey, still fun!

derek February 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Is that rugby? I did a quick search of the All Blacks and that was at that top of the list. Every time I’ve caught a match I have been fascinated, unfortunately I don’t find it too much here in the States.

Steve Elliott February 22, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Derek, hi, long time no speak.
We had a SSP at home, if that makes sense. Was a late one, here in the UK the game finished in the early hours and I got to bed at 3.30am, ready to get up for work at 7.00am!
Going to the Wembley game again this year!
Steve

derek February 23, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hey there Steve! How have you been? Hope things are going well for you.
Yeah, I was in London last year and tried to find the Monday Night Football game being televised but it was quite late and nobody had it on. And I missed it by one week as the following week the sports bar around the corner from my hotel was having a big event for the Patriots MNF game.
This year you’ll get the Broncos and the 49ers, right? You will get a chance to see the old QB of my team, Kyle Orton, who now runs the offense for the Broncos.

Steve Elliott February 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm

One of the guys we go with is a Bears fan, not had a good time of it recently!

derek February 23, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Buy him a beer for me, heh!
The Bears made a huge mistake in keeping the coaching staff, as this upcoming season will be a lame duck and then they’ll clean house. The worst part is that they are raising ticket prices after three years of missing the playoffs!

Steve Elliott February 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

We’d love to come and watch a game in Chicago, would be fantastic.
I remember our SSP when the Bears returned for a score right at the outset, my mate went crazy. Unfortunately, their QB was dire and the early promise drifted away to a poor defeat!

derek February 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Oh man, don’t remind me of that game! When Hester returned the opening kickoff for a TD, we thought it was going to be a great game. But then their RB had a suspect injury that kept him out and Grossman didn’t play well, and the killer was that long TD where Wayne got behind the safeties. Ugh!

Steve@trade show displays guru March 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm

hey Derek,
I haven’t been by in a while… I didn’t know you were blogging again. OK, you’re not exactly pumping out daily posts or anything, but at least I see this post and a newer one. Congrats. 🙂
We’ve been hosting a ssp for a few years now. There are lots of little kids running around (we and all our friends have kids) plus plenty of beer, chili, and apps, so I usually don’t see a lot of the game, but enough to enjoy it. GO SAINTS! Steve
.-= Steve@trade show displays guru hopes you will read… Trade Show Outboarding =-.

video games March 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I used to go to parties but now I just stay home and enjoy the game with a couple of my friends.
.-= video games hopes you will read… BFBC2 Multiplayer Assault Kit Unlocks-Assault Expert Achievement =-.

Andrea March 14, 2010 at 11:42 am

you have no idea how old hear and saying “who dat” can be after awhile. People are STILL saying it….i just want to say STFU sometimes but then i know my ass will be kicked. lol

Sam T@free iPad March 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I can’t comment on the superbowl really as I’m from the UK, but I can say I prefer to watch a football match at a party rather than quietly alone!

Joseph B@maine hotels April 13, 2010 at 6:18 am

I would prefer the quiet of my home to watch a normal game between two teams. But when there is a big match between two very popular teams, I feel SSP with friends would be a better choice. SSP doesn’t only mean sharing rivalry with friends while sitting in front of a huge screen, it actually brings out the true fan loyalty in you and the total experience is worth the watch.

Frank April 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I go back and forth every year. I prefer small gatherings to a huge blowout myself, but I’d also be plenty happy just staying in. My usual method is if it’s a team I care about I’ll go to a party otherwise it’s a nonevent!

earring holders April 19, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I enjoy viewing the game at home with my family and enjoying the yearly tradition, go Cardinals! Maybe next year.

kevin thibeault February 27, 2011 at 6:45 am

I have to agree that the big game is always better around friends…especially if they are fans of the opposing team.

Brian Kinkade@golden real estate August 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Super Bowl Parties are probably the least fussy and the most unpretentious party I attend to all year long. I never miss it! One of the things that really relaxes me.