10 Cool (Yet Barely Touched) Facebook Apps

by derek on February 22, 2010 · 55 comments

As you probably already know, Facebook has a wonderland of cool apps from Farmland to Mafia Wars. Some maintain a following upwards of 50 million monthly active users; however, there are tons of apps no one knows about. So if you’ve been looking to try something new, why not check out some cool apps no one’s touching?
1. Status Checker
Trying to track down status updates from 2 years ago? The Status Checker can track them down for you. However, only about 70 monthly users seem to care so far.
2. BarTab
If you love $1 drinks then you’ll love this app that allows you to send real drinks to friends that can be redeemed at real bars. So far the app is available in limited locations, hence the low 1,165 user count. But I think this one could get really big once they work out the kinks.
3. Business Cards
With this app you can attach a virtual business card to your messages. But while it could be useful to those networking with potential business associates, only about 1,400 users know (or care) about it.
4. Daycare Match Child Care Search
This app helps you locate reputable childcare facilities in the U.S. and Canada by simply entering your zip code. It’s a good service, but with about 60 people using it a month, it seems to have missed the mark.
5. Sports Better
This app appears to be fun as it allows you bet on games like soccer, basketball, baseball and more with $50,000 in virtual money. So far only around 40 people participate each month, which means either it’s not as fun as it seems or people just don’t know it exists.
6. Crappy 80s Gifts
This app allows you to relive the 80s by sending goofy gifts to your friends like the “Where’s the Beef?” lady. However, it seems only around 500 users think it’s fun.
7. Garbage Pail Kids
Who from the 80s doesn’t remember the disgusting Garbage Pail Kids? Apparently there’s a whole load of Generation X and Y folks missing out since only 5,000 users send these gross kids as gifts.
8. Free Stuff Daily
This app sends the latest freebies and coupons to your profile every day. The minute that something new is announced, it updates on your sidebar. So far, only 283 people use this app.
9. Civillage
Civillage is relatively new, but could get big since it allows you to find events, activities and people with common interests in your area. Only around 1,500 use it so far, but with the catchy name and concept, it could grow pretty fast.
10. My NickNames
If you like giving your friends nicknames, you can post them on their profile with this app. It seems like fun, but only around 80 people are using it.
There are tons of other apps that users don’t touch, so my question to you is, have you run across apps you like that nobody seems to know about?
This article was written by Melissa Tamura, who writes on the topic of online engineering degrees for the Zen College Life Blog. Melissa would love to hear from you at melissatamura [@] gmail.com

derek February 23, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Melissa, thanks again for the guest post! While I don’t do too much on Facebook myself, I have shared this with my wife as she has become much more the Facebook addict lately.
And for the record, I still have a bag of Garbage Pail Kids cards that my kids have gotten a kick out of seeing. 🙂

Joe February 24, 2010 at 12:38 am

I still do some bartending and I love the “bar tab” idea! Great blog!

derek February 24, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I’ve never been a good bartender, that is why I keep things simple and just pour a glass of scotch over ice. 😀

Chelle February 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

I think the crappy 80’s gifts need some help…where’s the Pound Puppies? The Cabbage Patch Dolls? A Cosby Sweater? The crappy gifts are a little too crappy I think, lol.
Will check out the others.
.-= Chelle hopes you will read… FREE Relationship Advice: Love Everyday eBook =-.

derek February 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Heh, I had to laugh at the Cosby sweater reference and I’m not ashamed to admit that I had a Cabbage Patch Doll dressed in a Walter Payton jersey.

Fabio February 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

Hi Derek, I think that I will use the Crappy 80s Gifts tool because I like 80s too much..I was born in 1976…great post..thank you

Double Deadbolt February 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm

all very good tools

andrew February 28, 2010 at 12:13 am

I’ve never known this before to be honest..thanks for sharing

polet_2001 February 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

There are lots of application actually in fb and because they are too many some people tend to use only few. Just like me i just use i am used of using.
.-= polet_2001 hopes you will read… Do it all marketing =-.

todd March 1, 2010 at 2:21 am

Sweet! Thanks for this post. I really love the applications you have posted here. Hope there are more of this to come.
Might want to check my page. Offers twilight gifts, accessories, books and twilight posters.
Reagrds,
Todd
.-= todd hopes you will read… PFR 12: Jeff Barker Loves Football Officiating =-.

Kindred Scents March 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Good list of apps. these are the less intrusive ones. some of them really grab some persoanl information.

Limousine hire Melbourne March 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm

The BarTab one is an interesting concept. I wonder how successful it has been?

Mechsoft March 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm

BarTab i think its really good concept….

Vinyl Lettering March 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I am surprised there aren’t more people using the business card app, it seems to make more sense for networking. Ha ha but I guess I am not using it either so I can’t blame anyone. I am going to check it out though!

Neoprene Sleeves March 7, 2010 at 12:57 am

Great list. I’ll definitely be getting me the Bar Tab app.
.-= Neoprene Sleeves hopes you will read… Hadaki Neoprene 15.4 Laptop Sleeve =-.

Andrea March 9, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Garbage Pail Kids are…ewww!! lol

Chris@Traffic Ultimatum March 15, 2010 at 5:21 am

The ‘best’ facebook app I have seen so far is not an FBML app, when google buzz was announced, I instantly thought I should get my twitter and facebook feeds in gmail and someone had a quick greasemonkey script written to do just that. 🙂
.-= Chris@Traffic Ultimatum hopes you will read… Traffic Ultimatum Module One =-.

kat@wall decals March 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I remember garbage pail kids. Those were the coolest collector cards ever. I think the business card one is great as well. It is amazing how many great tools go unused.

Sam T@free iPad March 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I’m surprised I’ve never used a facebook app! I’ve palce a couple of games and that is all. Thanks for this list I’ll take a look! That BarTap is an interesting concept.

Frank Zweegers March 29, 2010 at 11:34 am

I don’t get why anybody wouldn’t use app number 8! I mean everbody’s in for free stuff! I don’t use a lot of facebook apps, if I think to it, I actually use none! But I’ll definately take a look at a few of these apps, thanks for sharing them!
.-= Frank Zweegers hopes you will read… Bijzondere foto expositie bij FOAM Amsterdam =-.

Alan Amsoil March 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I don’t really like to load any of those apps, but the Status checker could prove to be useful. Is it only your own status you can check or all of your friends?

Adam Talbot@Laminate Kitchen worktops and flooring March 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I wasn’t aware of so many face book applications. Thanks for enlightening. Free Stuff Daily and Civillage seem interesting. Well, I certainly need to discover much more on face book. So many applications going unnoticed!

Robert@New Forest Cottages April 3, 2010 at 6:09 am

This article is a discovery! These face book applications were unknown to me. I believe, ‘my nicknames’ could soon turn out to be a favourite. Having read your post, I’m thinking of figuring out other applications too.

Fl Studio April 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm

WOW!! Thanks i will be busy putting these into works, will report back with my successes! Cheers!
.-= Fl Studio hopes you will read… Welcome To FL Sounds =-.

Alison Moore Smith April 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I had no idea I was looking for new FB apps. But I guess I am!
.-= Alison Moore Smith hopes you will read… WordPress Backup: A Two-Step Process =-.

Arno Carstens April 6, 2010 at 12:38 am

I checked out Civillage. I read a couple of reviews. Majority seem quite pleased with this application. However, this is of no use if more people don’t join. Because this application enables one to mingle with someone with a common interest in one’s area only.

Issac@video list April 8, 2010 at 12:40 am

I went to the application bar tab to check out. This seems to be online social drinking and that too just for a buck! One needs to use the cell phone to redeem the drinks. The description mentions ‘Social drinking at its finest’. Haven’t’ heard of such a concept before. Expecting it to pick up soon!

Bruna@buy certified diamonds April 8, 2010 at 5:30 am

While reading the post, I found all the applications pretty interesting. I randomly chose the Day-care Child Match Search application on facebook. Basically, it is an application that helps you to search for nannies or baby-sitting services in an area. Quite useful, I must say. An application bringing you closer to facebook.

Gaye Sougstad@california bodysculpture April 9, 2010 at 1:42 am

A good reading! The application Sports Better fascinates me. I went to facebook to know more about this application. This application endeavours to test one’s knowledge in a particular sport. One is enabled to bet money on a favourite team and earn in the bargain.

Phil April 9, 2010 at 1:45 am

oh thx for sharing these really great apps 🙂
most of them i didnt know yet but i will surely try them 🙂

Garage Door Repair Wisconsin April 9, 2010 at 9:49 am

Sports Better – I’d say the low numbers are because the money’s not real. If they start giving away some real moolah I’ll betcha more than half of the people on FB will join.

Personal Watercraft Parts April 11, 2010 at 3:23 am

I am seriously going to have to check some of these apps out. They look pretty slick.
.-= Personal Watercraft Parts hopes you will read… Personal Watercraft Parts =-.

Sergio April 11, 2010 at 7:24 am

Civillage liked the exact search

Steve Morgan@teddy lingerie April 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Awesome post! These applications are extremely handy for profile management. I really loved the status checker application which allows the user to track down old status updates easily. Now it is very convenient to check betting status and put bets on games using sports better application. Thanks for this lovely post.

Alison Moore Smith April 13, 2010 at 8:28 am

I’m one of the biggest users of facebook and I’ve heard only for 2 of these apps. Thanks for sharing, I’ll check them immediately.

Raymond@painters in mississauga April 14, 2010 at 12:08 am

Oh there must be innumerable other applications on facebook that must be unknown to us. Surely, one could get hold of these either by making a direct search. What one usually does to acquaint with various applications is expand one’s network and thus know the applications that one’s friend has. Your post is good. In fact, I will share it on facebook so that more and more people know about this.

Lisa April 15, 2010 at 9:04 am

Is it wrong that the most exciting thing on this list is the status update tracker…wonder what that says about me. 🙂
Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of aps. Of course, now that the challenge has been raised, I’ll start looking!!
Thanks for the fun!
Lisa
Yoga Thailand

Toothhater April 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Wait, what? Is Bar Tab for real? That would be bad-ass!

Myhammer April 19, 2010 at 5:05 am

All these apps seem to be good but the Daycare Match Child Care Search sounds really useful.
.-= Myhammer hopes you will read… reflexology in PR1 0BP PRESTON | Start Price £20, 0 quotes =-.

The Salad Project April 23, 2010 at 8:01 am

The sports better app is a waste IMO. People are more likely to bet with real money, yet alone virtual money. Maybe a good target group would kids.

Maria@Handle Stress May 2, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Hey good work indeed…. Something really new for me… Wasn’t aware about it earlier. I am too addicted to facebook; rather find it much more interesting than any other social networking site. Though I use it daily for more than 8-10 hours, I wasn’t aware about the above mentioned applications. I have started using Status Checker & Business cards and really happy to have them in my application lists..
.-= Maria@Handle Stress hopes you will read… How to Deal with Financial Stress? =-.

Sam@DIA Car Service May 5, 2010 at 5:26 am

I would add some more to the really useful facebook apps:
1) Wall Translated: http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=12034638734
2) Interlecta Text Translator: http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=5882557831
Both these are by Interlecta (http://home.interlecta.com)
What are they for: Wall Translated is similar to the normal wall on the profiles but it translates your messages in different languages.
Interlecta Text Translator translates text. You type the text and have it translated in another language. This is similar to google but the quality is far better.

Todd@Hockey Online Live Free May 8, 2010 at 2:55 am

Now-er-days trying my nick names. Its a very helpful application. Actually loved your list the most but my most favorites among them would be business card & off course how can I forget the bar tab…

William@Stunt Driving Ticket May 10, 2010 at 3:57 am

Pixeostar on FACEBOOK is another barely touched application which should have been included in this list.
This fun Facebook Application lets users create their own photo or video contest and get their friends to join. The main idea is that after the contest has been created, either if it’s about the coolest Halloween costume, or the best dancing moves, users can vote and/or comment on the pictures/videos, and the person with the most votes when the time is up will win a prize.
Once you install this Facebook application you will requested either to join a contest or to create your own. If you decide to go for the second option you will have to chose whether you want to create a photo contest or a video contest, then you will have to select the deadline for the contest, prizes for the winners and that’s it you are done.
For those who enjoy the thrill of competing with their friends to see who has the best photos and videos this application for sure will w keep you busy and entertained.

Ray May 10, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Definitely the bar tab app for me. I’ll give it a lot of use – and expect my friends to reciprocate this of course!

Ben @ Sell Property Fast May 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Bar tab is very useful as facebook app.
.-= Ben @ Sell Property Fast hopes you will read… Another Quick Property Sale =-.

Facebook Developer May 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hey nice apps collections indeed. I think people are now getting more engaged with these social media apps. I am also a facebook app developer and knows how people love to used it. Thanks for sharing

M @ Mystery Shopping October 1, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Great list, although it’s a bit of a shame that a lot of them aren’t UK focussed like I was hoping. Up until recently, I never used FB apps due to privacy concerns however now these have been resolved I find them great – looking forward to further reviews if you find any others worth installing.

Melissa @ College Wall Decals February 16, 2011 at 2:32 am

Thanks for the review. Can’t wait to log in to facebook and try some of these applications for myself! Too bad my region is not listed on that drinks/bar application. Haha…

Huck@seo services london March 1, 2011 at 3:48 am

Though I am regularly on facebook, I never knew about these apps. I’m gonna check them now. Don’t you think the BarTab app is really cool? I wish it would serve in my location.. gotta check now 🙂

Kyle@Finally Fast March 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m kind of bummed that I’ve come across this entry so late in the game! The sports better app looks like a lot of fun..but apparently it’s already dead. I’m very psyched to see that the BarTab app is coming to my hometown of Philadelphia! Hopefully they’ve got some deals running in the Northern Liberties area! That Civillage App is actually really cool too. There are apparently a bunch of things going on within steps of my apartment and I had no idea!
You should put together another list of these cool but mostly unused Facebook apps. I’d be really interested to see what else is lurking in Facebook netherland that might be worth checking out!

Settlement Purchaser March 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

OMG I still have a bunch of garbage pail kids stickers, my dad gave them to me with a bunch of old photo’s I had no clue they were saved. Much less still had the sticker on them.

johnnile May 6, 2011 at 6:32 am

Such apps are very strange. I didn’t know of these things on facebook. I only know farm-ville LOL!

Brian Kinkade@golden real estate August 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Garbage Pail Kids!!! I didn’t even know they have this app on Facebook. Man, this has brought me down to memory lane. Thanks! I’ll go check this out.

Good Apps November 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Garbage Pail Kids were awesome! I had the card set.