Roadmap Of A Dot Com Mogul :: Reading List

by derek on April 22, 2010 · 17 comments

Now that we have cleared the air regarding my bout with analysis paralysis and have agreed (in the loosest sense of the word) to proceed with random ramblings, I thought it would be appropriate to revisit a topic we discussed once before.
You might remember that freelance writer Michael Kwan, who interesting enough makes an appearance in this post albeit in a slightly different fashion, pondered the idea that you are what you read.
At the time, I shared my current reading list (which happened to include a book with a chapter all about me and my infinite wisdom) with all of you and some great discussion ensued.
Fast forward nearly a year and a half and my reading list has just been updated courtesy of a new order placed on Amazon.
If you are what you read, have I changed in a year and a half?

Make Money Online: Roadmap of a Dot Com Mogul

When it comes to making money online, there are not many that have squeezed as much out of their blog as John Chow.
After consistently sharing tips and tricks on his blog and producing free eBooks / guides on making money online, it seems like a natural progression to put the tips down on paper and sell it as a book.
John has teamed up with Michael Kwan (remember him?) to co-author a book detailing how to make money online from your blog. While this isn’t the first book to come out from a top-tier blogger (see ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income as another example), you can be sure that John and Michael will have added more than a few twists to help you maximize your earnings.

Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War

It may not be possible to change gears more drastically than moving from a book about making money online to one about the Vietnam War, but what can I say?
A decorated Vietnam veteran himself, Karl Marlantes drops the reader deep into the jungles of the Vietnam War and paints a picture as only someone that has been there could. With a keen interest in books focused on the military, espionage, and the like, this one should be a thrilling read.
In addition, I see this being a book that my oldest son will want to read and will anxiously wait until I feel he is old enough to handle reading it. He is a huge history and military fan, and loves to read, so there is little doubt that he too would enjoy this book.

Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals

Making money online…Vietnam War…naturally the next book will be about cooking, right?!?!?
There are two primary reasons that this book has made it onto my reading list: 1) We just recently finished remodeling our kitchen and it needs to be put to good use; 2) Jamie Oliver’s new television show is really pretty interesting, so why not see if his book of recipes can help our family make new, healthy meals that the kids will actually eat without fussing.

So, am I a war veteran that can cook and make money online? Not even close, but…

On the surface, it might not seem like the books listed above hold true to the notion that you are what you read but looking a little deeper seems to show some merit to the idea.
Obviously there is a connection to making money online – while my blogs have been relatively silent for quite some time, they are still making money every month, and with the attempt to be more active in my writing it certainly seems appropriate.
The Vietnam War…now while this is undoubtedly a stretch, my last few weeks at work have felt like I have traveled to hell and back. I absolutely know that this cannot even begin to compare to what our soldiers face on a daily basis, but I am drawing a correlation here as I have been in the trenches of the corporate world and maybe that mindset led me to selecting this book.
As mentioned, having just come out on the other side of a full kitchen remodel, I don’t think I need to say any more about how the cooking book ties into what I am, or have been through, recently.
Since the last time we talked, how has your reading list changed?
Does it still represent who / what you are? Or has that changed too?

Joe April 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

I dont have a reading list so much as a listening list. I am a really slow reader, so I prefer to get audio books that I can put on my ipod. That way my drive to and from my day job is much more productive. I’ve just finished listening to two of Richard Branson’s books which were very inspirational.
.-= Joe hopes you will read… Tracker progress รขโ‚ฌโ€œ part 1 =-.

derek April 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I go back and forth on the audio books, as I have a 65-mile drive to work and could get through a ton of books. But when I am driving I prefer to have the tunes blaring and have yet to take the plunge into an audio book.
Thanks for the comment!

Michael Kwan April 22, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Maybe you’re just a history buff? ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for the mention. Hope you enjoy the book.
.-= Michael Kwan hopes you will read… Building More with Forbidden Lego =-.

derek April 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Actually I’m not so much…that would be my son, his favorite TV channels are History and Military channels.
You’re welcome, thanks for stopping by and saying hello! I’ll let you know if I don’t enjoy the book. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Damien S. Riley April 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Reading? What’s that? I need more patience to sit with a book now and then. You see, in my twenties I got a Master’s degree in English so when I was done reading all that classical stuff I found it much more fun to build websites and blogs … BUT I know I need to read more. I’m looking forward to reading Michael and John’s book as well. Your site looks great buddy. You’ve been on my Reader I just haven’t had a comment to share up to now.
.-= Damien S. Riley hopes you will read… Backing Up My Bookmarks รขโ‚ฌโ€œ FireFox and Xmarks =-.

derek April 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm

My problem with reading is that I have this thing where once I start reading a book, I have to finish it…no matter how terrible the book may be (although it might take me a really long time).
I’m with you on the point that building blogs / websites is much more fun. Thanks for the note on the site, it is great to hear from you and I’m happy that I finally have given a reason for you to stop by and share.

The Salad Project April 23, 2010 at 7:57 am

The John Chow book must be a good read!

derek April 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Knowing that Michael Kwan co-authored the book is what has me interested, he is a talented writer. Honestly, I probably would not have bought the book otherwise.

Jorgen Sundberg April 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

I say start with Jamie’s book, his cooking books are the only ones people actually follow because he keeps it simple. Your Gordon Ramsays and Marco Pierre Whites tend to gather more dust than souvenirs from Tijuana ๐Ÿ™‚
.-= Jorgen Sundberg hopes you will read… Great Britain, Great Personal Brands from Yesteryear =-.

derek April 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Hi Jorgen, thanks for stopping by and sharing your comment. Maybe I should start with Jamie’s book and while my first recipe is cooking I can read Michael’s book.
I have a souvenir from Tijuana…somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

airplane games April 26, 2010 at 10:54 am

A good post. That was interesting. Thanks

Healthhere May 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

That was interesting. Thanks

drive May 2, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Your article is very good! Helpful to me, I have learned a lot of things, very grateful! make money online is a good idea, but its not easy i think

Ron May 10, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Great read Derek, great blog you have here. The more I read the more I wanna. Keep it up

derek May 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Is it Ray or Ron? I see comments from the same IP and website but using two different names…but thanks for the comment.

Brian Kinkade@golden real estate August 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Reading for me is great exercise for the mind. We tend to put too much focus on the body and often overlook the brain. Reading helps me stay alert, sharp, and focused – mentally. I believe that this will also help me stay mentally healthy when I grow older.