Notification Day

by derek on June 4, 2010 · 12 comments

Yesterday was “Notification Day” at work, and while I would like to tell you that this is the code name for a grandiose announcement or exciting revelation, it was anything but as this was the day that we all learned whether or not we still had jobs.
From an IT perspective, there were cuts – or should I say “reduction in staff” – of roughly 25% as they look to outsource a lot of the IT support and operations. We were aware that the layoffs were coming since early May, meaning the last three weeks or so have been extremely productive as everyone pondered what their fate would be come the anticipated Notification Day.
Well, yesterday came and went and I am happy (generally speaking) to report that I am still employed.
But what would I have done had I been “reduced” yesterday?
There was little that went unexplored as my mind searched for the next opportunity, one that might offer that scenario everyone dreams about – doing something that you love and getting paid to do it. Let me take you on a quick journey covering a few of the ideas that my warped mind came up with:

• Long-haul trucker: I could liquidate everything, buy my own rig and earn an honest wage hauling product across this vast country. Unfortunately my wife wasn’t too keen on the idea of raising our boys from the cab of an 18-wheeler.
  • Dot com mogul: Since I started blogging, I’ve made money on a consistent basis but never enough to support my family. With no pesky day job to occupy my time, I could focus my energy on building an online empire. There is no way that I could fail as I already have the roadmap.
  • Poker player: Haven’t we all watched the poker tournaments on ESPN and thought that it is amazing that these guys, and girls too, get paid to play cards? Well, I have and knowing that I can beat my buddies every now and then surely means I can take down the likes of Phil Ivey, Mike Matusow, and Chris “Jesus” Ferguson…right?!?
  • Race car driver: With a 65-mile commute each way to work for the last 8+ years, I have logged a lot of time behind the wheel and quite honestly I don’t think there is a driver out there that can navigate Chicago rush hour traffic better than yours truly. Put me on an oval track where everyone only makes left turns and I would simply dominate. Believe it!
  • Move to the mountains: Along the lines of being a long-haul trucker, I would sell the house and cars and move out to a nice little cabin in the mountains. The preferred employment option would be to own and operate a little mom-and-pop business in town, know all of the locals, and lead a very simple, unassuming lifestyle.

There were other ideas as well, most of which involved working in just about any capacity for a professional sports team, but needless to say, I will not be exploring any these for the time being – although I am still working on the Dot Com Mogul piece on my off hours (and know that I would be the next big star in Nascar).
The process of letting my mind wander, exploring job opportunities from the mundane to the outrageous has been a refreshing experience. With there still being a level of uncertainty at work, I will likely continue to build on this process in the event that I do need to look any time soon (ahem, feel free to contact me if you can hook me up with any of the above or maybe even a killer opportunity for a guy that can write code like crazy, loves sports, motorcycles, sports, everything related to the Interweb, social media, etc.).
So now that you took a slightly disturbing (you’d run for the hills if I shared all of the details with you) voyage through my mind, what would your dream job be if you received bad news on Notification Day?

Kelvin Kao June 8, 2010 at 2:39 am

Well, I am already a developer on mobile platforms, so if I were out of a job, I would probably try going solo developing iPhone/iPad apps. There’s also a possibility that I would look even more seriously into puppet-related ventures. Or maybe I’ll look for a job working for a baseball team. Or go live in Taiwan.

derek June 8, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Kelvin, mobile development is one of the things I have kicked around a handful of times but have yet to come up with an idea inspiring enough to get me entrenched in writing code.
If you get that job for a baseball team, save a spot for me too. I’d prefer to work for a hockey team but a baseball team would do. ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo June 9, 2010 at 2:00 am

The mountains move sounds good to me. Dream job, eh? Probably go down to the south of France and work outside for a change (been stuck behind a computer non-stop for the past 10 years).
Growing fruits & veg and selling it down the market would probably do me… if you didn’t need serious money to live so close to the French Riviera. So I guess it’s going to be a computer screen for quite some time – unless I win the lottery… and it’s “Sunshine here I come” ๐Ÿ˜‰

derek June 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Haha, I hear you about being stuck behind the computer screen not to mention behind the desk. The thought of being behind the computer screen is much more appealing if it also means that computer screen can be anywhere and everywhere in the world.
Here is to you finding your way to that lifestyle in the south of France!

Leo June 11, 2010 at 2:17 am

And here’s to you for whichever of the above you decide ๐Ÿ™‚
ps. off to buy a lottery ticket for tonight’s Euromillions draw
x <- crossed fingers

Jeet@Directory Blog June 10, 2010 at 4:21 am

If I was facing a ‘Notification Day’, I would seriously think about brushing off on my ‘Nature’ skills and actually going and living in a natural enviroment and earning by some farming activity. I would do it after retirement, so i can pass off my losing the job as ‘Early Retirement’

derek June 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Any particular area of the world that you would have your eye on for pursuing the “early retirement” lifestyle?
Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

marcus June 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm

My dream job would to be a singer. The problem is…I can’t sing. LOL.

derek June 10, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Minor detail. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gail June 13, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Hi Derek,
Since we email and Tweet and chat I don’t always think to comment when I’m busy. I knew if your employer had any sense they would not let you go; however, I also know decisions are not always made by the same logical priorities I would make them.
For those who come across this post over time I offer these suggestions:
1) Move somewhere at least three hours away from any city with a population of say 80,000-100,000 where land is cheap and your overhead will be REALLY low. That will take some research. Where there are few jobs and few tourists you can live for a fraction of what it costs where you are now.
2) Plant a big garden – grow you own healthy food organically. That way no matter how much the dollar declines or how little you make you will still eat well and get healthier and healthier too (both from what you eat and the action of growing it). I believe that even if you can charge $100 an hour for consulting you are STILL better off using part of your time to grow food.
3) Get some chickens – free range eggs are so healthy for us. Do NOT believe that propaganda about cholesteral and egg yolks. The people who ate eggs every single day are still alive at 90 and burying their kids who avoided eggs, whole milk, real butter, free range meat and poultry and fish they caught or meat they hunted.
4) Be sure to become expert at a skill you can offer for sale. Derek has many valuable skills he can sell. I have no doubt that he would quickly get as much consulting work as he could handle installing blogs, building blog-based ecommerce affiliate stores and much more.
Every person can learn simple tasks that are needed by so many who are working to make money online. Anything that someone only needs once in a while is better outsourced than learned. That means things like creating banners and Avatars, installing Favicons, installing plugins, building WordPress stores, building Yahoo or Volusion stores, etc.
More advanced skills like link building, advanced article marketing, copywriting, Social Media Marketing and other time-consuming tasks will see increasing demand. Anyone who sincerely wants to make a living online and is wise enough to listen to mentors who are already doing it can live a slower paced, peaceful life in the mountains and generate cash using the Internet.
If that sounds like heaven to you, connect with Derek or me.

Danielle June 23, 2010 at 6:57 am

“Long-haul trucker: I could liquidate everything, buy my own rig and earn an honest wage hauling product across this vast country. Unfortunately my wife wasnรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt too keen on the idea of raising our boys from the cab of an 18-wheeler.”
As the wife of a long-haul trucker I am totally with your wife on this one!!! Poker champ sounds like the go!!

da July 22, 2010 at 5:36 am

if i had such a notification day i would prefer to get paid for being a brand ambassador or somthing for the company itself … that wud be interesting enough at least with the amount of money i’ll get!!