Family Fun With The White Sox

by derek on July 9, 2010 · 20 comments

When it comes to baseball in Chicago there is only one choice – well, for those with any semblance of intelligence – and that choice is the Chicago White Sox.
Being a lifelong fan, you can imagine how thrilled I was when a friend pulled a few strings for me and was able to set me up with amazing tickets for the White Sox game against the Los Angeles, err Anaheim…oh forget it, the Angels.
With tickets right behind home plate, not to mention the row immediately behind Ramon Castro’s family, we were like kids in a candy shop.
There is little that could have dampened our experience, not even the 2.5 hour rain delay or sweltering heat and humidity. We didn’t once think about leaving – that is the kind of thing that Cubs fans do. The game was more than worth the wait too, as the Sox won the game with some timely hitting to complement great pitching.

Family Fun – Autographs

As a kid at the ballpark, there isn’t much that can beat the thrill of tracking down one of the players from your favorite team and securing an autograph. I’ll never forget my days at old Comiskey Park trying to land the elusive scrawl on a baseball, or when I was at Fenway Park and Jon Garland came over to give me an autograph when I commented about his last outing in the prior series.
On this night at the ballpark, my youngest son (G-Slick), had all of the thrills as he secured autographs from Ramon Castro and Brent Lillibridge; the latter as the rain was pouring down and everyone was running for cover.
Oddly enough, when he obtained the autograph from Ramon Castro we had no idea that we were sitting directly behind his family.
For anyone that is a sports fan and can remember the thrill of getting a player’s autograph, you can imagine the smile that was on my son’s face the entire night. It is a memory that I will never forget.

Family Fun – Pictures

Speaking of memories, one way to preserve the memory of your experiences is with photographs. Knowing that we would have pretty good seats for the game, I decided to bring along my Nikon D40 so we could capture some of the action from the game.
Now, I have to emphasize that I thought we would capture some of the action.
My oldest son, the mastermind behind Click the Brick, decided that he wanted to try his hand at photography and asked if he could use my camera to take pictures during the game. Little did I know that I would not see my camera again.
Over the course of the game, JB took 491 pictures!
Unfortunately, there were not a ton of keepers but I can guarantee you that he had an absolute blast capturing various aspects of the game. I’ve decided to share a few of the pictures here that were taken at the game, but you can see more over at flickr.
Note: Being right behind home plate, JB had a bit of a disadvantage due to the safety net and pole that you will see in quite a few of the pictures. But I think he still captured some great shots.

Cannot Say Thank You Enough

Before I get to the pictures, I want to again express my gratitude to my friend that coordinated this night full of fun for my family. The heat, humidity, and 2.5 hour rain delay could not detract from our experience and we will all be remembering this game for quite some time. Thanks! 🙂
If baseball is not your cup of tea, I strongly encourage you to find something that you can do with your family this summer to create your own lasting memories. In the event you’re scratching your head trying to think of an idea, check out this list I wrote awhile back covering 10 things to do with your kids.
Now…on to the pictures.

whitesox-statue
ozzie-guillen-1
freddy-garcia-delivery-1
delivery
torii-hunter-smash
sears-tower

Kelvin Kao July 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Oooh, those look like some really awesome seats. It’s great to be close to action. When you sit far away, it becomes more like a picnic. Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s just different.

derek July 9, 2010 at 11:45 pm

They really were great seats. I think the only time I’ve had better seats was when my oldest and I went up to Minnesota for the last Sox series in the Metrodome. Our tickets for one of the games was in the first row right in front of the Sox bullpen along the 1st base line.
My son got a foul ball and a ball from the guys in the bullpen at that game in Minny.
While there really isn’t a bad seat at the Sox stadium, I don’t think there are too many that could beat where we were sitting.

Reg@ho'oponopono July 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Great photos. You ought to go to work for Sports Illustrated or something. Who knows, they might put you on the swimsuit issue. I do wonder if Cubs fans have the same disdain for Southsiders that ‘Siders seem to have for them. It is the same city after all.

derek July 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Appreciate the feedback on the photos. If you’ve got any connections at SI let me know, haha.

Golf Swing Mechanics July 16, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow..Great experience with your family. I am really love baseball and love chicago white sox..I like Matt Thronton..Matt Thornton will be the Chicago White Sox’ lone All-Star. Thornton was likely picked for the All-Star team because he is one of the very best lefty relievers in the game so I think he deserves the honor…Do you see Matt Thornton there?

derek July 28, 2010 at 4:21 pm

It is amazing to see how Thornton really struggled when he was with the Seattle Mariners, but once the Sox traded for him and Coop had a chance to work with him he has become one of the most dominant lefty relievers.

Mark July 17, 2010 at 12:48 am

Nice photos from the game… you were quite close! I haven’t been to a baseball game in a few years now. We live in Vancouver so we try to get down to the see the Mariners every once in a while but I haven’t been since the days of Randy Johnson. (So I guess it’s been a while.)

derek July 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks, we were about 15 rows back or so – great seats! We were supposed to be going to the game tonight against the Mariners actually, but the kiddos have been misbehaving (and storms are rolling in as well).

Spot July 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I appreciate your photos, even though I’m a Cubs fan. And as a Cubs fan I was wondering what it was like to go to a game where your team gets timely hitting and great pitching.

derek July 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Haha, I love when Cubs (and Sox) fans are capable of poking fun at their own team. The Sox certainly didn’t start the season with that timely hitting and great pitching, but they’ve really turned it around.

Mefisto July 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Great pics, what can I say, I wish my dad went with me to some baseball games when I was little.. anyway, it seems you had quite a lot of fun there, especially since you were ‘close’ to the action.
Cheers!

derek July 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I didn’t go too often as a kid myself, but I make it a point to get my kids out there to different events. Last week we took in a minor league baseball game that was a blast as well.
If you have kids of your own, be sure not to have them wishing they went to more games as a kid.

Slide forest July 30, 2010 at 12:24 am

When I was in campus, my foreign teacher taught us to play baseball. Wow, it is really cool. I want to play again. all of our classmates enjoyed it.:)

Patiala hotels July 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm

This is really good pictures. It is also wonderful moment when we spend our time with family. This is the moment of life which unforgettable.

Anime Online August 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Good contribution. Thank you.

Andy August 8, 2010 at 2:35 pm

The last thing i expected to see when i came to this blog was some pretty good sports Photography but these are great. Good seats. Must have been a good game from there. Well done on the shots dude

Settlement Purchaser January 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

what a great way to hand out with the family, we didn’t have a major league baseball team where i lived growing up but we had the Richmond Brave the farm team for Atlanta and we used to love going to the games.

Steve @ Sex Offenders Search July 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I remember going to the minor league team’s games in Toledo and waiting outside their locker rooms to get autographs after a game. They used to have their locker rooms right in the main walk way were the fans came and went. Really good family memories.

Brian Kinkade@franktown real estate August 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

You must have had a great time here. Great photos, Derek. It’s been a while since I last watched the game live. Brought me back to memory lane. Thanks for posting!

D2B Agência Digital October 26, 2011 at 8:34 am

We also like baseball though not so common here in Brazil.