New Gig: Chicago Blackhawks Examiner

by derek on November 2, 2010 · 40 comments

Chicago Blackhawks Examiner

Recognize the mug in that picture?
No, I’ll give you a hint…look up in the header of this blog and see if there is any resemblance.
As October was coming to a close, I learned of an opportunity to become the Chicago Blackhawks Examiner writing for the Examiner.com network. After submitting my application and writing sample, it wasn’t too long until I heard that I was given the green light to write about the Blackhawks.
Whether I am able to stand on my head or not remains to be seen, but I am excited about the opportunity to write for Examiner.com about a topic – and team – that I have been involved with and followed since, well, forever.
Hopefully the Blackhawks will find themselves back in the NHL playoffs with a match-up against the Vancouver Canucks so I can share my head-to-head battle against Michael Kwan with my Chicago Blackhawks Examiner audience.
Until then, please stop by and see what’s going on with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Michael Kwan November 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I look forward to it. You may have had the best of me the last two years, but my charity is bound to get some money from you eventually, right?

derek November 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hey now, that’s not fair…even in victory I have contributed money to your charity as it isn’t right to penalize the charity for the failure of your team. 🙂
However, this could be the year where your fortunes do change. It will be interesting to see.

Michael Kwan November 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Kudos. I donate more or less the same amount each year anyway; it’s just a matter of who gets the money.
Go Canucks Go!

Daniel November 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

Congrats, Derek! That’s awesome! When should I expect my passed-down free Blackhawks swag..?

derek November 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Thanks! I’d love to get some Blackhawks swag but I don’t see that happening any time soon unfortunately.

Jason@ Florida Speeding Ticket Lawyer November 5, 2010 at 2:54 am

Great opportunity you got there. Writing for the blackhawks, that was awesome! I hope they will have the Stanley cup this season.

sumu@colon cleanse November 6, 2010 at 7:11 am

Congrats Derek! I appreciate your knowledge, you did a wonderful job to wrote for blackhawks. I always dream for such great event. Hope you enjoyed a lot after wrote your magical words..

Harvey@PS3 November 7, 2010 at 4:06 am

I’ve never seen Examiner.com before, looks like a cool way to write about something you love.
Hope you have fun writing about the Blackhawks!

derek November 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Thanks, I wasn’t familiar with it myself but I couldn’t pass up the chance to write for something that I follow passionately.

Consolidation of Student Loan November 8, 2010 at 6:32 am

That is great! Congrats on getting the job. It is nice that you will be able to write about something you have followed for so long. I love hockey, I go to games whenever I get a chance.

guts N glam November 8, 2010 at 4:21 pm

i love your header pic! woohoo! looks like Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Genie… Congratulations on getting the job! To your success!

derek November 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Haha, I drink better beer than he does though. 😉

guts N glam November 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

hehehe, really? what beer do you drink? do you smash cans as well? it’s just unique, i mean your pic, because you have earrings, that makes it better.

derek November 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Well, most of the old clips I remember he was drinking Budweiser. My first choice is usually Guinness but in all reality I’ll take anything that is cold. Normal beer in the garage fridge is MGD.
Don’t smash the cans though, haha.

guts N glam November 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm

hahaha! you are funny. but i think you’re right. well, cheers to our success! i am happy to connect with you… cheers!

Ryan@Nursing Programs November 10, 2010 at 8:14 am

Congrats on getting approved by examiner. I’ve got an account there – it’s a nice thing to have, that is for sure!

derek November 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm

What topic do you write on at Examiner?

nisa sanjaya November 11, 2010 at 6:31 am

this is very good … 😀

South Africa Car Rental November 16, 2010 at 2:22 am

Lucky you, great stuff

Tom @ Web Design In Chester November 18, 2010 at 7:42 am

Looks like a good opportunity. Any update to this? Can you quietly change your photo on the examiner site to the cartoon one?

derek November 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

From what I’ve seen so far, they prefer having photos of the actual person as opposed to avatars / cartoons.

Camden@Best Gifts for Men November 18, 2010 at 11:31 am

Congratulations on the new gig! Hopefully you’ll score free tickets – or at least be able to write the cost off.

derek November 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks! I’ve tried to secure media credentials to be able to provide more in-depth coverage but thus far I have had no luck. Good point about the tickets being a business expense.

Gab "hours Fitness" Emman November 19, 2010 at 3:46 am

Big Congratulations Man!!!

derek November 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks!

ryan | Poker Training November 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

What are the perks of this job? I think it would be sweet to kick back and write about my favorite sports team. But I think it would be even more fun to write about the teams in which I hate, ie the Dallas Cowboys, Boston Redsox, etc.

derek December 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Depending on the team you’re writing about you may be able to obtain media credentials to be at the games and interviewing players. Unfortunately, the Blackhawks have denied my request for media credentials so I am out of luck.
I’m not sure if there already are people writing on the Cowboys or Red Sox, but hit me up if you’re interested in writing on something and I can look into it for you.

SEO Miami November 28, 2010 at 8:21 am

Congratz on the the opportunity. I’ll be looking for your posts in the Examiner!

derek December 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Thanks, I’ve had fun writing about the team so far. Hope things are going well for you down in Miami.

Consolidation of Student Loan December 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

How is the new gig going. Do you have a link to any of the articles you have written I would love to check them out.

derek December 1, 2010 at 3:26 pm

It is going well – I’d been hoping the revenue share side of things would have been paying a little more but I just need to work on increasing the traffic. You can see my articles here.

closed end fund December 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Congrats on the new gig! Nothing quite like being able to watch hockey AND get paid for it! Hope we have another great season here in Chi-town!

Cobb December 23, 2010 at 8:27 am

Congratulations on the new job!! How has it been treating you so far?

derek December 23, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I’ve enjoyed writing about one of the sports teams that I love, although the response / following hasn’t been what I had hoped thus far.

Steve Markham December 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Hey Derek,
Congrats on the job, it’s always nice to be able to do something that you really enjoy for a living instead of something you hate just because it pays well. I’ve actually read a few of your articles and they’re quite good.
The hawks have a tough road ahead of them right now though, being down 5 points (and 3 games) to Detroit. Lets hope the winning streak continues 🙂
Steve

derek December 23, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Steve,
Thanks for the feedback. At this point it is nowhere near being able to provide a living for me and my family but it is something fun to do in my free time (and it gives me a good excuse to watch the games.)
There is no question that they have a tough road ahead of them but they’ve been playing a better style of hockey over the last few games. Now they just need to demonstrate some consistency.
Thanks again!

scott@kentucky sports online January 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Congratulations. Living in Kentucky it’s always been my dream to write about the Kentucky Wildcats. You succeeding definitely makes me feel like it’s possible.

Michael January 10, 2011 at 1:10 am

Congrats man! That’s something to be proud of. Good luck in your new endeavors. Don’t forget about us in the blog world though!

Brian Kinkade@elizabeth real estate August 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

Wow! This is great, Derek! I’ll be seeing your posts. Good luck!