Using Fiverr To Make Money And Save Time

by derek on January 13, 2011 · 19 comments

Have you heard of the website Fiverr?
If you’re anything like me, you have heard of it but you never really paid much attention to it other than casually checking it out from time to time. However, as I have been investigating my WordPress ninja skills of late, I decided to take a closer look.

fiverr

Basically, Fiverr is a website where people are buying and selling goods or services for $5.00. Browsing through the site one can see there is a quite a variety of things that people are willing to do for five dollars, some of them are rather odd but some of them are quite ingenious as well.
So how can one use this website to their advantage?

Using Fiverr to make money

It should be pretty obvious that anyone could sign up for an account with Fiverr and start making a few bucks here and there. Keep in mind that when you are selling something you pay a cut to Fiverr, earning only $4.00 in the end after fees.
Be creative and see what kind of services or goods you can sell.
Browsing through the offers you will see there are a number of people – mostly attractive women – offering to hold up a sign of your choice and take a picture. There are also a good number of people offering to install and setup WordPress on your hosting – which might be a kink in my master plan to offer WordPress consulting services, but we won’t worry about that for now.
You will need to separate yourself from the crowd though, as there are pages and pages of offers out there that don’t seem to be gathering much interest.
While this will most likely not make you rich, it can be a good stepping stone to bigger and better things. For example, consider someone interested in starting out as a freelance writer. By offering to write articles for $5.00 you are able to build up a portfolio of writing samples and it can quickly lead to more significant offers to write for people.

Using Fiverr to save time

Now think of how Fiverr can be used by you and me – people that are operating a number of websites and blogs (while often times also working one or more jobs) and simply don’t have time to do everything for themselves.
Remember the freelance writer I mentioned that can use Fiverr to earn money, well we can hire that writer to save ourselves time. The nice thing about doing it here is that you’re only spending $5.00 to test a writer’s ability and don’t need to make a significant investment to determine if you will work well with the chosen writer.
As a matter of fact, I have already used Fiverr for this very purpose.

Fiverr Article Ready

Here you can see that I opted to purchase an article from someone and it has been delivered. You do need to submit your payment at the time of order, but Fiverr offers a very easy interface to exchange messages between the buyer and seller. For my first experience, I think everything went smoothly.
As for the article that was purchased, I decided to request an article for the website that I have that is focused on football workouts. After exploring Market Samurai for a few days, I selected a couple of keyword phrases to target and will be using this first article as an experiment. Overall I felt the quality was acceptable for my purposes, but you can check it out for yourself.

Creative minds at work

There really is no limit to how you can use a site like Fiverr to earn yourself a few dollars or save yourself time doing things you cannot or do not want to do. As a matter of fact, I have an idea percolating that I need to discuss with my “think tank” (fancy name for the three guys I have lunch with every day) of how we can use Fiverr to make a few bucks.
Have you used Fiverr before?
If you’re using Fiverr to sell goods or services, let me know so I can check it out. Also, I’d love to hear what kind of crazy ideas you have on how you can leverage Fiverr to your advantage.

Gants webdeveloper January 13, 2011 at 11:32 pm

great post about fiverr, thanks for sharing this interesting stuff.

Srivathsan @ Mobigizmos January 14, 2011 at 4:58 am

Looks pretty, awesome info.great post.

Lisa January 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

Really good Info. I had never heard of Fiverr. I have an online store what a great way to try some advertising to see what works and what doesn’t without breaking the bank.

derek January 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Lisa, thank you for the feedback. I hope that you’re able to find something of value on Fiverr that can improve your online store in some respect. Please do come back and share your experience!

Scott@Kentucky Sports Online January 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Sounds like a neat idea that will spawn copies like tenrr

RS Andrews January 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Not to confident in the viability of this kind of website. If I need a service like girls holding up signs, I think I can find an attractive girl to hold a sign for $5 without having to involve the internet.

derek January 17, 2011 at 9:57 pm

That is true; but the site offers many more options / services than that. If you stick to the primary categories (i.e. other than the fun / bizarre) you can find some rather valuable deals.
Now, maybe you should be asking those attractive girls if they’d be willing to hold up signs for other people and you could start earning some money! 😉

Matt@Perth Marketing Writer January 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I’ve only just discovered it. It looks fantastic. And there seem to be a whole lot of other sites like it.
I use flyers to advertise stuff locally, and I thought this might be something to offer. I could put someone’s URL on say, 1000 flyers that I’m already distributing for myself, for 5 bucks.
The only problem is, I’d have no way of proving that I’d actually done the job …

AlanAllport@learn internet marketing February 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

I really don’t like the time and effort getting backlinks to my sites myself takes so I’ve been looking for ways of outsourcing on a one-off basis i.e. without employing a VA or paying for a subscription service.
The cheapness of Fiverr certainly looks tempting but I guess I’ve dismissed it up ’til now because of fears about the quality of the work I’d receive.
Think I’ll give it a try – it’s only 5 bucks after all – not much to lose.
Thanks for your interesting post.

Jason@Fiverr for Internet Marketers March 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Derek,
Fiverr is one of the best things that every happened to Internet Marketing. You can outsource, advertise, and build a rapport for yourself as an IMer.
However, one thing that I don’t like about Fiverr is that I’m always afraid of getting banned for wanting to communicate with the Seller outside of the system. Sometimes, I like the Seller’s work so much that I would like to start using them for my work outside the Fiverr system, and not from a gig by gig basis. I also found that sometimes, $5 not enough incentive for Sellers to provide Buyers with highest quality products.
That’s why I decided to start up Gigs For Gurus, a marketplace for Internet Marketers to buy/sell their IM related products/services. Sellers get to set their own price and get to communicate freely. They even get to communicate outside the Gigs For Gurus system and can choose whether or not they would like to buy within our system or directly with the Seller.
I think the Fiverr concept is good, because they protect the buyer — if the seller doesn’t deliver on time, Fiverr acts as an intermediary and returns the money to the buyer in their balance account. But I think people should be allowed to communicate freely in any free marketplace.
Please let me know what you think of the idea! And feel free to post your products/services at Gigs For Gurus and link back to your site for more exposure.

Charleen Larson April 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

I like your comment about your “think tank”. I have a staff of consultants on tap as well; they don’t eat much, just about a can of cat food a day apiece. And I often can’t understand what they’re saying. But they work cheap.

Paul May 25, 2011 at 1:44 am

Hi,
Extremly interesting article !
I follow you for some time now and your writing is very good and the information you provide is amazing.
After following your thread i just created my gig here : http://www.fiverr.com/users/seo_masters/gigs/give-you-a-full-seo-report-of-your-website-and-optimize-it-to-skyrocket-your-website-in-google
Everyting is going good because of you . Thanks !

Braco June 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I will create you a one of kind eBook, DVD, CD or Box cover for your product. All you have to do is tell me what the product is, the name and any specific images and colors you want used. I will need to know what the product is, and if you have any images in mind for the project.

Veronica Cervera@brickell key condos August 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

The quality in which you do your work as well as how prompt you deliver I think are two of the most important factors to get a good rating and make money with Fiverr.

Brian Kinkade@boulder homes August 9, 2011 at 6:48 am

One thing I like about Fiverr is that it allows you to review feedback on each of the different people who are offering their services. It allows me to move forward with any of the other services, to make sure I get the one with the most positive feedback.

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri August 16, 2011 at 3:59 am

Fiverr indeed is a very smart mini-site. You can make money really fast by providing services you are familiar with. There are a lot of “webdesigners” on Fiverr that do a lot of great stuff for those only 5 bucks.

josh@BankHolidays2012 September 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Fiverr has saved me so much time and money on marketing. I use it for everything. Whatever you need done, it can be done there for 5 bucks!

Kostas@Online Opportunities October 13, 2011 at 2:48 am

Fiverr it’s really a great site, it’s amazing what you can get for just 5 dollars…

Jawed@make money online October 25, 2011 at 3:57 am

Nice post Derek. Fiverr is one of the best resource available for both marketers and people seeking to make money online. I get a lot of jobs like link building and others from the gigs at Fiverr.