Friday Four: Making Connections

by derek on January 14, 2011 · 8 comments

Ian Fernando and Derek Semmler

Those that have been around for awhile – or returned after my hiatus – will remember that I liked to use Fridays to share a handful of posts or articles that I stumbled across during the week.
Every now and then, we venture out from our inner circle of friends and acquaintances to explore the vast unknown. More often than not, we are are rewarded with what we find and the collection of links I have for you today is no exception. Once you’re done enjoying all of these posts, be sure to come and find me so you can tell me what you thought.

• When work doesn’t feel like work

Jayson Yormark, who I just had the pleasure of meeting via twitter (and used to be from Chicago), has recently made a change in his career. While his new job as VP of Marketing and Social Media at Strategies 360 sounds like a sweet gig for sure, there is something to be said about working on a team that just clicks. Watch this video and tell me you wouldn’t love a team like that!

• In need of a mentor

Recently you’ve heard me mentioning the Warrior Forums quite a bit and one of the extremely helpful people I have found there is Andy Beveridge. Whether looking to advance in your current position or finally break a plateau as an affiliate marketer, Andy had an experience awhile back that demonstrated the importance that everyone have a mentor. Now I just need to find my mentor!

• Tips for successful blogger outreach

Speaking of affiliate marketing, Kristi Hines just returned from Affiliate Summit West where she learned quite a bit. One of the lessons that she learned is what it takes to have a successful blogger outreach.Kristi shares some great tips on what you should be doing, as well as what you should not be doing.

• Looking under the hood at AdAge

Gail Gardner has been watching her blog climb the AdAge Power 150 list of marketing blogs, which should come as no surprise if you’ve been reading her blog lately. Gail recently shared that AdAge is providing a free PostRank Analytics preview and even if you’re not ranked just yet you can still check it out to get a better understanding of how AdAge ranks blogs.

Making connections

It is interesting to note the common theme contained in all of the posts above that caught my attention this week. That was not intentional by any means but was it just a coincidence?
One of the most exciting aspects of blogging is having the opportunity to encounter so many different people in so many different places. As I have ventured out into new arenas such as Warrior Forums, I’ve had the opportunity to connect with a few really amazing people and look forward to sharing the lessons I have learned with them and hopefully vice-versa.
Speaking of connections, be sure to connect with me on twitter if we haven’t already.
I look forward to hearing from you!
For the record – I thought my eyes were open when that picture was taken, but that is about as good as it gets when I am in pictures. Oh, and who can name the guy behind Ian and me?

Jason Yormark January 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the shout out Derek. That team was truly an amazing experience and a once in a lifetime sort of thing. Definitely looking forward to the new role however. Thanks for the mention and love what you’re doing here.

derek January 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm

You’re welcome Jason and thank you for the feedback!
A few years (more than I realize now) back I worked for a dot com startup and we had a great collection of people. It was an amazing experience and friendships were formed with people that cannot be replaced.
Oddly enough, just before going to that start-up I had gone out west and interviewed at Microsoft as well, although I would have been employed by a consulting company that worked pretty much exclusively with MS. I did get the job offer but we opted not to pack up the family and move west from our life-long home in the Chicago area.

Andy Beveridge January 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Derek,
Thanks for the link. I really appreciate the shout. The Internet is full of so called gurus selling only part of a problem, or people faking it to make it. I can spot them at a hundred yards now.
It does not have to be like that though. Building an online business by being honest is a whole lot more fun and very rewarding. Everytime a subscriber writes to thank me. I feel fantastic and energy charged. Any money I make almost becomes secondary.
I believe that if you are true to your own values and always just be yourself. then you attract the same kind of people.
Nice blog Derek, I am going to right now subscribe to your feed.
Andy Beveridge

derek January 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello Andy!
You’ve hit the nail on the head in that it is essential that people build their business by treating people with respect and being straight-forward and honest. There might be times where taking a different path seems like a good idea but not only does that tend to be more work in the long run, it can do irreparable harm to your reputation / brand.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences on the Warrior Forum. Your posts have been extremely helpful!

thunder May 20, 2011 at 2:21 am

I guess we can’t stay on just place. As the world revolves, it’s a constant reminder that we too should move on and explore the vast unknown. We gotta make connections, and meet new people in our life that can help us to see the better future. And i extremely agree that one of the most exciting aspects of blogging is having the opportunity to encounter so many different people in so many different places. And i guess that’s just the beauty of it. It’s fun to meet new people that can bring certain changes in your life once in a while.

Julie@howtoplanforababygirl July 21, 2011 at 10:08 am

I love your blog Derek…thanx for the shout.
Hope to be dropping by again soon – there’s heaps of information here that would be useful for me.
Have a great day!

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri August 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Blogging is a great thing, it helped me out in making a lot of connections and friends, and even a few fans and you know .. it’s really great and makes you feel proud of yourself and your work.