20 Words That You Must Read Now

by derek on January 17, 2011 · 21 comments

By now you might be sick of listening to me talk about my evaluation of Market Samurai or all of the amazing tips that I am learning on the Warrior Forum – not to mention the number of great people I have met.
But bear with me a little longer here…
Anyone that has tried their hand at affiliate marketing – or Interweb marketing – can appreciate the struggles that it takes to be successful. So many people are looking for the magic bullet. The foolproof blueprint to success. On the surface it might look like these people are just downright lazy.
In some cases that is true, but would you believe me if I told you that often times these people are looking for direction because they have been spinning their wheels for so long and going nowhere? What if I told you that I had 20 words that would perfectly summarize exactly what these people have experienced?
Are you ready for the 20 words?
Here are 20 words that I read in one of the Market Samurai training videos that has literally changed my perspective on what I am doing and where I need to be focusing my efforts.

It takes the same amount of work to build an unsuccessful business as it does to build a successful business.

Think about that for a minute. Now read it again a few times.

Are you appreciating the meaning of those 20 words?

As I have been reading through the Warrior Forum I have noticed that the number of people that are devouring the guides, strategies, and plans provided by others (some for free and some at a cost) are plentiful. To the casual observer it might look like these people are simply looking for the easy way to make millions online without having to do any hard work.
But as you really digest what these people are sharing and what they have done, it is clear that the many of them have been down the road of doing what they thought was right only to find out that they have been building an unsuccessful business.

Heck, I have felt like that myself many times.

Whether it was creating all of the blogs that I currently own (don’t ask me to name them all off the top of my head) or working on developing websites for clients, there have been times where I have wondered if I am spending all of this time on the path to an unsuccessful business.
Over the past week as I have been reading everything I can and adding life back to this blog, I feel like I have been gaining a bit of clarity.
Make no mistake about it – the information I am consuming is not with the intent to find the secret system that will build me automatic wealth over night without lifting a finger. Quite the contrary. Hard work does not scare me, actually I tend to thrive on it. But what I am trying to do is make sure that I am not working hard on building an unsuccessful business.

Taking a step in the right direction

Are there any guarantees that the path you are on is moving towards a successful business? Unfortunately, there are very few guarantees in life. However, by setting goals with specific milestones you should be able to get a better picture of which path you are on.

Where is my path leading me?

First, I am resuming activity on the blogs – as you can see with more consistent posts recently. While it is important to me to be active here and on my other blogs, I also need to be cognizant of the overall direction that I am taking and let the blogs be a vehicle to assist that journey.
Right now I feel that my path is leading me towards creating my own informational products that others can utilize on their own journey. As a matter of fact, I am currently working on the finishing touches of my very first informational product based on a need that I noticed while reading – what else, but the Warrior Forum. This has been an exciting step for me and I cannot wait to launch the product, which will most likely be made available to forum members only.

So, go back and read those 20 words again.

As the importance of those words begin to sink in and you evaluate the path that you are on, please do share your thoughts with me. If there is one thing I have learned it is that very few people make it in this industry solely on their own, so collectively like-minded people can truly do amazing things!

Kelvin Kao January 18, 2011 at 2:02 am

Good for you, Derek!
Yep, got to put in work, and make sure that is real work, and not just busy work.

derek January 18, 2011 at 2:46 am

Nice to hear from you Kelvin! Hope things have been going well for you.
You’re absolutely correct. There is a huge difference between simply working hard and working hard on the appropriate tasks. In all honesty, stepping away from blogging for awhile did help me gain an appreciation for what things are important and which things had less value-add.

Mark David January 18, 2011 at 4:31 am

This is why I love the internet. You come across great articles like this – something you had never Googled for but you’re very glad you found by accident. Great article, thanks for sharing.

derek January 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Welcome Mark and thanks for the feedback! You’re absolutely correct that taking a random path through the Interweb can lead you to discovering something new – glad that you found your way here.

Ashlee@Moral Bower Blog January 18, 2011 at 8:07 am

it’s a pity I had never thought about this…nice tips! I think I should try to work in this direction. Perhaps because of this I will reach the next level in my work.

derek January 18, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Think positively…not “perhaps” but you will.

gekko2.0 January 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

Great post!! Sometimes its sad seeing people not make any headway in internet marketing and chasing every “new” product that some guru is peddling but its a tough business that doesn’t reward shortcuts.

derek January 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Absolutely…I had commented on the Warrior Forum though that not everyone buying the “guru” products is looking for a shortcut.
As I touched on here, I am not fooling myself and know that IM takes a lot of hard work to be successful. Where people sometimes find the products appealing is in the search of direction. You want to make sure you’re working hard in the right direction, to which I see three options…and my next post coming up. 🙂

Settlement Purchaser February 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You make a great point here, many people can spin their wheels wondering why what they are doing isn’t getting any results when if they just tweaked it a bit they could be using their energy and focus towards that. People often don’t want to listen either.

Pete @ Currency Broker February 22, 2011 at 8:41 am

So it’s not how much time you spend but how you’re spending your time? Or is it that spending time on an unsuccessful business teaches you as much as a successful business? Argh!

Mike February 25, 2011 at 1:31 am

Strange, i went through all of their videos, and I dont remember this! I think I really need to re-think and re-design all my work , business and all blah blah that I am doing right now.

Meagan@nappy bags March 7, 2011 at 7:39 am

Blog to ponder about. Thanks for sharing.

Gold Star March 11, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Your 20 words are absolutely right. Time is precious and we need to make the best out of it.

Noticias Tecnologia April 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Wow that 20 words were like cold water. It’s true sometimes I’m spending time on something, and then realize it wasn’t the proper way to do it.

Anne @ lifestyler treadmill April 6, 2011 at 6:17 am

Those 20 words really strucked me. We really put the same time and effort but the question is are we really on the right track to success? Let’s all think again before we act.

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri August 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Totally true, I agree. It takes a lot of time to work at something, the result – bad or good depends only on the quality of the work. I “tested” those 20 words based on my experience and I confirm that it’s true.

Kostas@Online Opportunities August 8, 2011 at 5:43 am

In most cases this is true even though there is a difference in the quality of the work required for a successful business, additionally building a successful business may require less work since it is very probable that successful businessmen understand how important it is to outsource your work and getting much better results from other businessmen who try to do everything by themselves

Steve@Electric Cig October 7, 2011 at 5:22 am

Very inspiring Derek! It does make sense. Results vary depending on the type of quality work that you’re doing. You might be working your ass off but not getting positive result that is because you’re just working. You’re not putting work into work.

Allan Nkata October 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

Very inspiring words! A lot of folk online tend to spend a great deal of time, effort and money becoming professional internet marketing students by grabbing the latest courses available as opposed to taking action now and thus actually becoming successful Internet marketers! Like every business we do take a risk trying to succeed online but the most important thing is to have both short term and long term set goals which can be measured! Thus, you can tell how well you are performing.

Maximilian@Noticias Tecnologia April 19, 2012 at 6:32 am

I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.