3 Options To Ensure Internet Marketing Success

by derek on January 18, 2011 · 33 comments

Before we discuss the three primary options that can ensure your success with Internet marketing, I want to mention a quick tip to all of my fellow bloggers that are trying to make their way. This might be obvious for some of you but I am sharing it to hopefully benefit those that have not thought of this before.
Tip: Listen to your readers when they comment on your blog. This post was inspired by a comment from gekko2.0. Not only will listening help you target posts to the information your readers want, but you will also go a long way towards building a true community of people sharing information.
Ok…now back to our three options to ensure success.
When it comes to Internet marketing there is no question that some people are looking for the magic bullet. Unfortunately it just does not exist – or if it does it is the best kept secret in the world.
So why are people buying products and services from the appointed gurus of the industry?

In many cases it is not because they are looking to avoid the hard work that they know is required. Instead it is often a result of having done so many things unsuccessfully that they are looking for a guide that will show them the right things to be doing. Remember my 20 words?
For those of you that are doing your best to achieve success with your Internet marketing efforts, there are essentially three primary options that you can follow to ensure your success.

Trial and error

Ultimately this may be one of the most successful options to ensure success, however it is also the most expensive option. You can read all of the best information about Internet marketing that you can find, but until you begin to put the lessons into practice you will not achieve a single thing.
As you do begin to test different strategies or different ads, you need to be prepared to learn a few lessons the hard way – by losing money. Even for the most successful marketers, not every campaign is going to be profitable. With that in mind, beginners need to be prepared that they will not achieve instant success (sure, it does happen but few and far between) right from the start.
The downside to this option is that often times people starting out with Internet marketing are looking to make money because they don’t have much money now. They’re looking for a supplemental or replacement income, and cannot afford to make too many mistakes. So what do they do?

Purchase products from the experts

We can debate the term “experts” but as people shy away from the trial and error option, they often turn to the products that have been there and done that – or at least the ones that can sell the fact that they have been there and done that.
These products may be eBooks, automated tools, services, or many other flavors.
As I mentioned earlier, people purchasing these products aren’t necessarily looking for the lottery ticket that will bring them instant riches. Rather they are looking for someone with experience to guide them down the path and show them which activities are important and which are not. Essentially, they want someone to show them the trial and error option minus the error.
The problem with this option is that there are far too many self-appointed experts that have made their riches by selling these products that promise the moon. Don’t get me wrong, there are some valuable guides out there. But the market is saturated with fluff and this often leads people from one product to the next, spending just as much if not more than the trial and error option.

Learn directly from the expert

Last but not least, we have the option where you learn directly from the expert – also known as mentoring. The important thing to remember is that mentoring doesn’t mean “give me all the answers so I don’t have to do any work.”
Think of mentoring as having a person that you can bounce ideas off of and discuss different strategies. Not someone that will simply give you a numbered list of tasks to accomplish.
When you have a question or you’re not sure if you’re doing something just right, you can reach out to your mentor and ask for guidance. Before you start a new campaign, you can send your mentor a quick note to ask if their opinion on your landing page or ad text. As you progress, your relationship may grow to the point where you work with your mentor on an initiative and possibly become partners on your own product.
The difficulty with this option is finding that person that is able and willing to be your mentor. It can be difficult to determine if someone is simply trying to sell you their latest product, or if they are genuinely trying to help you find success.

My recommendation

It is difficult to say which one option is the best, and the answer will certainly depend on the situation and the person in question.
For me personally, I am working towards a hybrid of all three options. I’ve been known (or should I say been guiltly) to have purchased a product here and there as I looked to find my direction. With all of my blogs and websites, I have certainly been trying the trial and error method.
The part I have been missing thus far is the mentor, however I will suggest that by remaining genuine and honest with yourself and others that you will find your mentor. Pay attention though, as sometimes it takes awhile to recognize that the person you have been chatting with or asking questions of is in fact already your mentor.
Which option have you found to be the most successful?

gekko2.0 January 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Derek you are right on the money with this post,I’m glad you found my comment helpful!!
What’s worked for me has been a combination of exhaustive research and trial and error, there are a ton of ways to be successful online the trick is finding what works best for you and then stick with it. It’s a lot of hard work but so worth it

derek January 20, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Absolutely, there is a lot of value to be had in the comments on your blog and I appreciate you sharing your words of wisdom.
It is helpful to hear what has worked for others, so thank you for taking the time to explain your process. You’re right that it takes a lot of hard work but it is worth it.
I’m testing that theory now as I have just launched my first WSO on the Warrior Forums! 🙂

gekko2.0 January 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Thats awesome!! I will check it out later when I’m on WF, let me know if you need any feedback or help with it

derek January 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Cool, any tips on getting more sales? 🙂
It actually sold a handful of copies right away yesterday but has tapered off today. All in all it has been a great experience though!

Jo@Cell Phone Name Lookup January 20, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I think that ‘Trial and Error’ is the best because you become much more experience richer and nothing can be more valuable than your own experience in the Marketing World.

derek January 20, 2011 at 11:23 pm

While you’re right that there is no better way to learn than by rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty, one does need to be cautious – particularly in the IM arena – as it is far too easy to bleed money.
To me the utopia would be to have a mentor that can give you a little guidance here and there that offers a little protection from going down the complete wrong path using the trial and error approach.
Thanks for sharing your input Jo!

David @ Dallas Painters January 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

One of the best ways to be successful in marketing is to learn from an “expert”. It does not have to be a real expert. If you can find a friend who knows a little more than you do about marketing and get him to share the knowledge, you can avoid at least the most costly mistakes. And learn the rest as you go by trial and error. The key is, whether you know a lot or little internet marketing, always try something new and after consistently trying to improve success should come.

derek January 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Great point David! One does not necessarily need to find an expert to have someone that they can learn from and to ask questions. Sometimes I think that point is lost in the shuffle.

Lester Diaz January 23, 2011 at 1:47 am

Totally agree with your post, I think the best to succeed is to fail multiple times, I learned the hard way what it takes to be successful online, but the most important thing is to set yourself a goal and not quit ever.

Paulette January 23, 2011 at 2:59 am

Having an open communication is really a key to understanding as well as for one to achieve his own success.

Dan@Melbourne Window Cleaning January 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’m still new at this internet marketing stuff, but I find I am enjoying the trial and error. It makes it more of a challenge and I feel more rewarded when things improve.
Obviously not everything has worked, but the ones that have feel that much better because I can see the results from my work, rather than just paying someone to do it for me.
Off-topic: This is the first time I’ve ever seen KeywordLuv, its a great idea!

Settlement Purchaser February 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

It is always good to try out new tactics, without failure you can’t have success.

Kyle@Finally Fast.com February 10, 2011 at 9:35 am

I see where trial and error may end up costing you a ton of money. PPC advertising and affiliate marketing can be an easy way to spend a lot of cash with little to no return, but I think anyone that approaches their IM business in a logical, though-out way should really be able to find success for a very small investment. You just need to do the legwork. Part of the beauty of the web and IM is the fact that you can reach TONS of people for very little money.
As with anything if you jump in head first without really educating yourself you’re bound to fail, but I think you can get a pretty good handle on what works in a given niche by exploring that niche, developing content for it, and seeing what people bite on. You might bleed time, doing research, writing content, finding no or low lost promotional media, but you don’t have to bleed money. And as they sat experience in the best teacher.

Pete @ Currency Broker February 22, 2011 at 8:46 am

The trouble with working alone is that you’re not aware of the things that could help you improve. No one’s there to tell you that this tool or this avenue exists. This is probably the best thing about the Warrior Forum – it lets you know about tips and processes that can solve your problems. Not necessarily make life easy – but provide a means to solve the problem!
Thanks!
Pete

Jesse March 1, 2011 at 9:00 am

Most of what I’ve learnt has been through trial and error. We are all different so just because something works for one person it doesn’t mean it will work for the next. Most people that I have spoken to say that they have taken a number of different ideas and lumped them together to create systems that work for them. That being said, I think that it’s always good to research what other people have tried so that you can avoid costly mistakes.

itcanhappen4u2.com March 13, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thanks!

olive information March 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I really can relate to this whole post. I especially like the last paragraph. We sometimes find the best advice and direction from unexpected places. Thanks.

donne russe March 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I can share my story and say that im try to be ainternet marketer since some years and i can say that this is a continuos trial, and is going trough a experience after experience.. till a day sun will come up.. But this needs a long process,patience and solid nervs..and is not for everyone.

Pure Cocoa Chocolates March 21, 2011 at 11:58 pm

This is really useful post which shares the tips for getting success in internet marketing. The best way to be successful in this business is “listen your customer”. What they exactly want? Provide them with the same and success is yours.

Anne @ lifestyler treadmill March 24, 2011 at 12:40 am

Learn directly from the experts – I have a friend who is now earning good in this industry and I see him as my mentor. He is nice and very supportive even if he is not getting anything from me. Thanks for sharing this post!

Gold Star April 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I always visit this blog. I am following your tip here. You said learn from the expert, and every time I read your content, I know that I am learning from the expert. 🙂 Cheers!

Anne @ lifestyler treadmill April 6, 2011 at 6:28 am

Hi Derek! Me and my husband are neophyte in internet marketing. We have learned making blogs by just watching free videos and tools. Right now, were practicing the Trial and Error system because that’s the only thing we can do now while were starting because I have minimal funds. Hope you can be our mentor? Thanks and God bless you!

Andrew Walker May 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Learn directly from the experts is the best option for me. I think to purchase products from the experts is the second best option, although it will cost money. The trial and error is my last option – which sometimes work the best.

Online Opportunities June 18, 2011 at 4:31 am

Well I think that the combination of all these three is the best option to succeed in online marketing…

Joonas Toivonen July 12, 2011 at 5:16 am

I suppose I like making errors, but at least I like the trialing part ;D

Forex News July 18, 2011 at 3:56 am

Veronica Cervera@brickell key condos August 4, 2011 at 12:45 am

I think there’s really no way to achieve the full potential of your Internet marketing strategy without applying all three points mentioned. Everyone that was able to succeed in this industry has for sure written a book or given an interview about their success. You’ll never know how it’ll work out for you so I guess it’s kind of inevitable to undergo trial and error. From this experience you’ll definitely learn something and discover what would work for your business.

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri August 11, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Derek, you are a life saver! It was finally the time for me to know about these things, I never knew exactly but now I know. We need to try to get to the top, as high as possible. There are a lot of rules to be respected and that’s why it’s hard to create a great site. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Plant September 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

For me, trial and error is the most effective for beginners. But as I read through your post, I think mentoring is also important. As beginners, we need to have someone that can give advice and that someone should be, as for me, an expert to that field 🙂 Thanks for your post Derek! Learned so much 🙂

Steve@Electric Cig October 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Learning directly from the experts is my favorite tactic to ensure internet marketing success. In my opinion, internet marketing can’t afford to waste time by doing trial and error. Time is gold and it would be a shame that you’ll lose a potential sale just because your strategy is not exactly the way it should be done.

CFD October 7, 2011 at 9:19 am

I totally agree, it is essential to listen the audience but also to post interesting content on your site, something people would like to read.

Allan Nkata October 14, 2011 at 8:23 am

Hey Derek, this is a very interesting read! I used to purchase a lot of courses and e-books when i first started out trying to find the magic pill! Then i realized that it does not exists at all. I later realized that the only difference between those that succeed online from those that dont, is taking action! I guess taking action comes with trial and error because you dont know if it works until it has been tried and tested! Am definitely loving the theme too. Keep up the good work!

Ecommerce ERP January 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

True. In order to achieve success you have to practice a lot…even if you’re good at theory it doesnt mean you will succeed at once. you need to start getting skills and experience step by step