5 Online Alternatives Tools To PowerPoint

by derek on April 4, 2011 · 19 comments

Microsoft PowerPoint has long been the number one tool used by professionals around the world when they gear up for a presentation. Even though this tool is liked and used by thousands of people, many have switched to cheaper alternatives.
In the revolutionary technological age we are in, cloud-based presentation tools have become available in large numbers. Today you can choose from dozens of applications. This article will look at the five we at iAdvize found best.

Benefit of Cloud-Based Applications

I don’t think you can grumble with the fact that online applications are simple and fuss free. If you want access to your presentations wherever you are in the world, then the following tools will be right down your alley. Forget traveling with your laptop and then remembering you forgot your presentation; forget losing your presentation to a PC crash.
With the cloud you have an always-on solution that will serve you wherever you have access to an Internet connection – which is just about everywhere you would need it.
1. 280 Slides

280 Slides

280 Slides caught my eye the moment I loaded the site. I love their clean interface. Being a Mac user myself I like the native app look of this service and best of all, it’s free. You can’t beat free and you can’t look past the impressive features of 280 Slides either.
The makers of this app have integrated it with SlideShare, allowing you to embed and publish directly to your website if that’s what you want. You can create your own slides, add videos (YouTube videos) or your own videos saved on your PC/Mac, text and images, shapes and specific backgrounds and layouts.
When you’re happy with your creation you can download it to your PC/Mac and view in PowerPoint. You can also email to third parties if need be.
2. ZOHO Show

ZOHO Show

Zoho is a popular free online productivity suite. Used by thousands of professionals worldwide, Zoho has a big following because their tools are often compared to Google Docs (another free alternative), yet are the preferred choice. Their ZOHO Show presentation application allows you to create slideshows for free.
While the app is OK, it wouldn’t suit everyone. For me it is missing some of the gloss aspect 280 Slides has out of the box. Don’t get me wrong. The app works well for basic presentations, but that’s about it for now.
3. Prezi

Prezi

Not a presentation app per se, Prezi is a free online tool that lets you create animated presentations on a large canvas – similar to using a whiteboard. Make no mistake, this tool is uber-sexy.
Don’t let the introduction to Prezi fool you into believing that you can’t have cool presentations. You can. You can use plenty of animations and tools to give your presentation that extra edge. The result will be a stunning demonstration of your creative abilities you can share with others.
4. Acrobat

Acrobat

What would an alternative option be without Acrobat? While not free (after your initial free trial) this tool allows you to collaborate with your co-workers using Adobe Buzzword. It costs $149/year. This is great for a group of people looking to create presentations while not residing in the same place. To keep controls where they belong you can set your permission levels, giving access to only those who need it.
What I really like about this tool is that you can share your screen with others not present in the room. Great for meetings. This will also allow you to work on a shared whiteboard at the same time – assuming permissions have been granted.
5. SlideRocket

SlideRocket

SlideRocket is the most useful of all the tools mentioned in this article as it is very similar to PowerPoint. Plenty of features allow you to add visual appeal to your slides, giving your presentation that special quality and look.
You can further collaborate with your co-workers by setting privacy levels according to your needs. The integrated SlideRocket Marketplace allows you to purchase stock photos for your presentations, order print on demand services and even buy audio clips. The basic account is free, but you can unlock additional options for a $24/month or $240/year fee.
This was a guest article buy Lior who works for iAdvize and also advises to an applicant tracking software company called TheApplicants.

Michael Martine April 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

I’m glad you didn’t include Google Docs presentation tool, because it completely, unforgivably SUCKS.

derek April 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm

While I didn’t write the post (being a guest post) I do agree with you. I have not been impressed with Google Docs, but at the same time have not used any of the alternatives used here. The only alternative I have used is the OpenOffice offering.
Thanks for stopping by Michael.

Ben Brown April 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks a lot for introducing me to other ways of getting my presentations done. So far I have been using only Powerpoint and I might actually try some of the free options you mentioned.

Gold Star April 5, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I have used Microsoft Powerpoint for all my presentations and I never thought there would be more toolss that I can use. Now, I can make better and more dynamic presentations. Thanks Derek! 🙂

Anne @ lifestyler treadmill April 6, 2011 at 6:08 am

Hi Derek! I’m using Powerpoint in all my articles. I’m glad that you have given me great options so I can make my blogs easier, more informative and more up to date. Thanks a lot.

Settlement Purchaser April 11, 2011 at 8:13 am

I have just started really using cloud computing and it is a great way for multiple people to work on the same document.

vaqueros de mujer April 13, 2011 at 12:41 am

Charlie@chandeliers for sale April 17, 2011 at 5:59 am

You’re right, but if you are really looking for the one that can save you more money looking for MS Powerpoint alternative, OpenOffice is definitely the best choice.. it’s not cheap, it’s free.

chandeliers for sale April 17, 2011 at 6:01 am

.. but anyway, i will try the 3 you presented above… more choices is better is what i say.

Finally Fast April 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

I am very happy to see all these online tools for use. The internet has really become a great source just about every editing tools, web design too, graphic editing tools and much much more. I hope open source never goes away. What are other open source tools out there that are becoming popular …….

Online Opportunities May 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

All of them are uknown to me I will probably check some of them but Idon’t think that I will use any of those because I have used to work with power point, anyway thanks for sharing…

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri July 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hey Derek, I never thought about alternatives to PowerPoint but now seeing those alternatives, I’m really glad I found out about them, thanks to you. Acrobat is the smartest choice from that list of programs, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Maja@fantastic sams November 30, 2011 at 8:15 am

These day I was in need of alternative to power point and this post has helped me a lot.

Jesse@Village Walk real estate December 21, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks for sharing these great alternatives. I’m using open office impress in my presentations and i think this is better especially 280 slides. There are a lot of animation choices and eye catching themes.

Jack@Cheap PS3 January 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Wow I REALLY seem to like 280 slides! (The others seem cool too) Till now the only online alternative I knew was Google Docs’ presentations.

Jean @ Used Tires May 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the great alternatives to Powerpoint. They will come in very handy for me.
-Jean

Trung Nguyen June 3, 2012 at 5:51 am

I never hear these tools before, I also not use Powerpoinnt regularly, however, this post are great to get new softwares.

Miron June 26, 2012 at 6:54 am

When saving, SlideRocket charges money (‘Upgrade’ option).

Jenny@Coursework writing service September 8, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for sharing these presentation tools. I personally like working on Acrobat because it makes sharing easy. I have just checked out 280 slides and it looks pretty good too.