Content Marketing Tips for Finding Inspiration

by derek on May 9, 2011 · 27 comments

One of the hardest things to do when it comes to implementing a content marketing campaign is simply finding the time to sit down and write!
A strong content marketing campaign requires a constant creation and push of new videos, articles, blogs, white papers and more to rise above the clutter. Oftentimes the responsibility of content creation rests on the shoulders of one person, who has other daily duties to attend to. If they do manage to set aside a set time everyday to write, precious time may be lost while the writer struggles to find a good topic.
Don’t let writer’s block stop you!
Here are a few places to turn to when you need new ideas:

Look at old blog posts and articles

Digging through your old work is a great way to get your content creation juices flowing. Chances are you’ll be able to pick a nugget of information out of an old article and expand upon it for a new one.
For instance, if your company sells DIY computer repair kits, you may have written an article that measured the level of difficulty for fixing different computer problems (replacing the screen vs. fixing a jammed disc drive). Why not create a whole article that focuses on replacing the screen depending on the brand of computer? You could write a second article on the kind of tools someone would need to have for replacing damaged screens.

Dig through your social profiles

Social networking has allowed companies unprecedented access into the minds of their consumers. Social media encourages consumers to express their opinions and views about everything, including your company and products. Your social network profiles are a great place to sort through comments for content inspiration.
Did one of your consumers find a unique way to use your product? Did someone ask a question? Using your target audience as the inspiration for your content also helps you create engaging content that they are more interested in.

Write a response post

If you’re really stuck for a company blog post, one possible option is to write a response post based on another author’s work (just make sure you link to the original post!). What points did they bring up that you agree or disagree with? What do you think they should have mentioned but didn’t? Take your own spin on the same topic and share your opinion.

Follow the news and connect it to your industry

When Elizabeth Taylor died, everyone was talking about her. Her personal life and professional career dominated the news that day. The New York Public Library began Tweeting photos of the actress, pulled from their massive photo collection. They found a way to connect their brand with trending news.
Plenty of industries found ways to jump on the Charlie Sheen bandwagon as well. Many marketing blogs compared his antics to running a successful marketing campaign and what marketers could learn from his actions. If you’re looking for inspiration, start with the day’s headlines.
About the Author
Nick Stamoulis is the President and Founder of Brick Marketing (http://www.brickmarketing.com), a full-service SEO services firm based in Boston, MA. With over 12 years of experience, Nick Stamoulis shares his knowledge by posting daily SEO tips and SEO news to his blog, the Search Engine Optimization Journal.
Contact Nick Stamoulis at 781-350-4365 or nick@brickmarketing.com

led stage light May 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Finding inspiration for your content marketing campaign is easier than you think.This is very important.

The Magic Tricks Homepage May 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for that advice. I spend a lot of time writing content and more time angsting over coming up with something original as I write content for a pretty narrow niche – it’s one I’m genuinely passionate about so I’m not really stuck for the idea so much as the approach. But anyway, time to stop cruising about reading other people’s (fascinating!) blogs and get back to putting one word down after another. Oh, I’ll just add that actually, reading doesn’t have to be a distraction from content writing: just commenting like this gets you writing again and if you are lucky as I am today, you find a post that directly inspires you and gives you good advice! All the best.

charlize@pest control services May 14, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks for the awesome and really helpful information. Much appreciate blog.

Kyle@Ascentive May 15, 2011 at 6:47 am

To quote Douglas Adams, “Writing is easy. You only need to stare at a piece of blank paper until your forehead bleeds.” I think writers block can be a nasty foe and a major time drain, but in my experience some of the best content I’ve come up with came from staring at the Word void for 10 minutes.
That said, I loved your idea about digging through social media profiles for customer inspiration. I think for a blogger that spends all day sitting at the keyboard and posting content all day, checking in with the social profile is a great way to reconnect with your brand audience and find topics that will engage them on a more intimate level.

Binghamton Websites May 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Great post!! My problem isn’t usually coming up with material its usually staying focused on it once I get started. So many distractions so little time lol. I’ve started using a timer to focus my writing, I set it for 45 minutes and I force myself to write until the buzzer goes off then I take a 10 minute break to refocus. So far it’s been keeping me on track

Bob May 16, 2011 at 3:18 am

I am thinking of adding blog sections to some of my ecommerce websites but worry about being able to find enough content to make them look lively. There is nothing worse than a dead blog with out of date posts wishing everyone a ‘Happy Xmas 2009’ as the most recent post. So until I think I can supply a post a week then I will leave the blogs on my personal sites and keep the shopping sites as pure commerce.

Subscriber Management System May 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Cool….i just love learning new things, thanks for the good instruction that i have found here.

Summer@Internet Marketing May 16, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Content Marketing is not only an advertising technique but it is also a way for innovators to introduce their products to the people.

Website Hosting Review May 17, 2011 at 12:32 am

Nice blog! This is great content marketing tips. Thanks for sharing very informative post and i will follow up the new updates.

mert yuksel May 17, 2011 at 1:33 am

Thank You. Very Good Text

Computers and Reviews May 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I’m definitely a fan of looking back at old articles. It give me motivation and tips of what not to do. Good blog.

Gold Star May 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm

A simple blog comment can lead to a stunning article. I have seen many blogs that has an introductory quote of a comment one of their blog readers has. It’s either they oppose the opinion or they go with it. I believe this is one of the easiest way to find an inspiration.

Pam Sheraton May 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Finding content is easier than what many people think-reading the headline is one of them, but if you look at the world around you, there is a lot of inspiration as well, for example if you go to your local store and you had the bad luck of falling on a rude cashier, you’ve got something to blog on (importance of customer service), you only have to dig from the world around you, and you will have your inspiration juices flowing

Mega Led May 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

thnx for sharing

fred@finallyfast May 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

>>Plenty of industries found ways to jump on the Charlie Sheen bandwagon as well.
LOL, I think we might be (hopefully) on the tail end of this trend!

Trudy June 5, 2011 at 1:54 am

Don’t mean to sound harsh or anything but wait until he dies! He will be more celebrated than Michael Jackson. Ok, maybe not that much but he will be talked about again for sure!

thunder May 20, 2011 at 1:40 am

Finding inspiration can somehow be hard for some especially to those who are just starting. And i do believe that a strong content marketing campaign requires a constant creation and push of new videos, articles, blogs, white papers and more to rise above the clutter. You just gotta be creative enough to promote your marketing campaign. These are really good tips to start of. It’s a good thing you have posted this and i surely learned a lot from it. Great post by the way!

Lyle Holmes@Make Money On The Internet May 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This post really hits home and is a welcome help.
It seems that I can spend an hour trying to figure what to write about the it is time to move onto something else.
I am going to bookmark this post so that I can be reminded from time to time.
Thanks again,
Lyle Holmes

Andrew May 24, 2011 at 12:34 am

This is really excellent post. An excellent marketing really suited to a long term strategy. Most people looking to earn a living online are, rightly or wrongly, seduced by the idea of instant money. A traditional method of wealth creation that has worked off-line for centuries.

Automation Specialists June 8, 2011 at 9:06 am

If you are stuck for ideas you can always take a moment or two to stay up to date with the latest news and developments. A bit of breaking news should get your head back into gear and start developing fresh ideas.

John@cash renegade June 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Blogging is not always easy. I also find myself struggling to find a good topic and many time I don’t find myself motivated to write anything. Thanks Nick for this wonderful article.

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri July 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Finding inspiration is kind of hard but very important. If you have inspiration, you can do almost everything you want and that’s something we all want. Great tips, easy to do, great to gain. Thanks for sharing!

Online Opportunities July 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Very helpful tips for content inspiration thanks for sharing Nick!

Andre Jensen July 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hey Ninja,
Thanks for the inspiration. I was stuck for a bit, but now jotted down a good 6 ideas for my next month of content creation duties.
Gracias!
-AJ

Osborne Pest Management Services July 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Hello! You are really a professional Internet Marketer. Thanks for sharing this to us! Great Work

Brian Kinkade@lakewood homes August 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

The ever dreadful writer’s block. Otherwise known as the writer’s flu. When it hits you, you’re out! These are some great tips. Half of the battle is won as soon as you recognize it. Then just focus on beating it instead of working through it.

Creativity and inspiration January 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

I tend to do random searches on search engines to find blogs I never read before. This always helps! Nice post, btw.