Joining The Ranks Of Published Authors

by derek on June 20, 2011 · 84 comments

Dad, can we...45 Ways to be the Dad Your Kids Need
Late last week I officially joined the ranks of published authors…well, kind of.
While some may dispute whether or not I have officially become a published author, I can say that I have a book, or maybe more appropriately a report, that is published on the Amazon.com Kindle store for anyone (that means you, *wink, wink*) to purchase.
Sure, I didn’t have to endure the painstaking process of submitting my work to publishing houses and receiving rejection letter after rejection letter. However, more and more well established authors are going the route of self-publishing their books in an electronic format via the Kindle or other e-Readers. Regardless, I find it to be truly exhilarating to be able to visit Amazon and see “…by Derek Semmler” listed.
As you can see by the image here, I put together a report on 45 ways that you can be the dad that your kids need. Being the dad of two terrific boys, I have certainly taken my bumps and bruises and learned many of these lessons the hard way, while others were things that I learned by remembering how my own dad carried himself.
By publishing this report, I hope to help at least one other dad avoid some of the mistakes that I have made and never have to be in a situation where their son or daughter stops coming to them and asking, “Dad, can we…?”
Before you rush over to Amazon to buy your copy – after all, it is only $0.99, – I will remind you that this is being published for the Kindle.
What’s that?
You don’t have a Kindle?
No worries, you can download the Kindle app for your iPhone, Blackberry, or Droid phones; or there is also an app for iPod Touch, iPad, and PC.
If you are kind enough to purchase a copy, please do share an honest review on Amazon or come back here and share a comment. It is always helpful to hear what other people think of your writing no matter if the feedback is negative or positive.
Until then, I will just continue to refresh Amazon as a confirmation that I really am a published author. =)

Kelvin Kao June 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Congrats, Derek!

derek June 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Thanks Kelvin, I appreciate the support!

John@Income Instruments June 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

It’s always exciting to see the effort finally in print or in this case its kindle. Congrats Derek.

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thanks John; it was definitely exciting to see my listing on Amazon.

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri June 23, 2011 at 5:11 am

Great app, I don’t have Kindle but I think I’m going to get it. Thanks for mentioning it. Also, CONGRATULATIONS DEREK !
Keep up the good work!

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Many thanks Victor!

van025 June 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Great app.Congrats,Derek

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thanks!

rachel@Bowen Agency June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Congrats Derek! Hope the sales will sky rocket your way to more published books. 🙂

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Rachel, thanks for the encouragement. I am putting the finishing touches on an agreement now to be working on my 2nd book, which will be converting an existing print book (which I am featured in one of the chapters) to the Kindle.
I’ve also got notes ready for the next book after that as well.

trudy June 24, 2011 at 6:15 am

This is inspiring! I didn’t realize being published was easier than I thought. Granted it still takes effort, but thats great news that almost anyone as long as they apply themselves can be published!

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Trudy, you’re absolutely correct in that anyone can do it and there is no cost involved in publishing on the Kindle. Unfortunately that does mean that there is a lot of garbage that has been put out on the Kindle, such as people taking PLR books and simply republishing them.
But there are also a ton of talented writers doing the self publishing. Take a look at the likes of John Locke or J.A. Konrath.

Jane June 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Congratulations on your e-book! It does seem to be the more popular route although it’s interesting that the prices of e-books are so low. What people don’t often realize is that by self-publishing, you have to do your own marketing. It is exciting to have a book published in any more, but it’s even better to have great sales of that book. It makes the whole writing process with it to know your writing will be read by the masses and not just your family members and friends. Lots of luck to you!

Online Opportunities June 25, 2011 at 2:36 am

You have some points here Jane but I think that by self-publishing you have freedom and you can publish whenever you want without the fear of rejection!

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Jane, one reason that many of the eBooks are priced low is because the authors are relatively unknown entities. Once the author has established a name for themselves, then it is possible to raise the price of the book. As with any retail product, there is work to be done on finding that sweet spot of price.
Yes, self-publishing also means self-promotion but think of how many authors that are rejected by publishing house after publishing house, despite being extremely talented. Will every self-published author be successful? Not a chance; but the door is open and people can seize the opportunity if they so wish.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Ethos Logos Pathos June 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

Haha congratulations on this! Hopefully a lot of people will read your book, and we won’t have such bad fathers anymore.

derek June 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Here here, may many, many people read my book and learn a thing or two about being a quality father. =)

fred@finally fast June 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Congratulations man!! This is kind of a dream of mine to be a published author as well so I know how exciting this is. On a somewhat related note, I’ve recently decided to switch to -only- reading books on my Droid 2 for the next few months. You basically forget that you’re reading a screen after the first couple pages. It’s great that you can offer books online in a simple way these days like you have here.

derek June 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Fred! I encourage you to pursue that dream, and if it seems daunting to deal with a publishing house by all means pursue the self-publishing alternatives.
During this process, I’ve installed the Kindle PC app and I have been borrowing my son’s Kindle as well and I too really enjoy reading books in electronic format. I’ve found that I can read a little quicker, and it is great how my bookmark is automatically saved if I step away from the book.

Daniel June 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Awesome! great job! I, too, am going that route. I’m slowly compiling a book of short fiction I’ve been writing.

derek June 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Thanks buddy! An early congratulations to you as well as you work on your book of short fiction. Give me a holler if you have any questions about publishing on the Kindle if you go that route.

Evan Griffin June 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Congratulations Derek!! I know you deserve it…Cheers!!

derek June 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Many thanks Evan!

reese@Realtor in Northumberland June 27, 2011 at 8:56 pm

This looks like the start of many published books for you Derek! Keep it up! Congratulations!

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Reese, indeed it does as I have a couple more that are being worked on right now. Thanks for the encouragement!

Blackjack Guru June 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Congratualtions Derek! All the hard work has paid off.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the comment!

Quo June 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Congratulations, you really deserve it. That’s got to be a great feeling! My mother had an article published in a magazine when I was little. I remember she bought like 100 copies and sent them to everyone…lol

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Thank you Quo! I have to admit, it is a pretty cool feeling to visit Amazon.com and be able to see my name plastered on the page. Granted it is not a print book, but I still enjoyed the experience.

Jason Mitchev June 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

A friend has self published his books. He actually had someone else do all of the cover graphics and editing, well everything but writing the text. He continues to get purchases every now and again. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

In terms of electronic publishing, I found the process to be really simple but I do know that a lot of people don’t want to (or don’t have the skills) to design their own covers and handle the formatting. That can be farmed out to freelancers though, as can the actual writing if you really want to avoid that too. 🙂

Patricia June 30, 2011 at 2:20 am

Hey Derek i read your first post ans its really amazing,now i am looking forward to see your 2nd book.thanks for sharing your ideas with us.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thank you Patricia!

nanm June 30, 2011 at 2:54 am

Its a great moment and i would like to contribute myself one day.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Looking forward to it!

Settlement Purchaser July 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Congrats on Joining the publisher Rank! That is really cool. I wish books like this were more prevalent while I was growing up, I know a few dads who could have benefited.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm

That is an unfortunate truth and still is far too prevalent today. Even when I started my “Dad Balance” blog a few years back, it still wasn’t the trendy thing to do to be outspoken about being a good dad. That has started to change with more and more dad bloggers getting out there, but I think there is still a long road.

milamelendrez July 2, 2011 at 4:39 am

Wow! Congrats and Good luck to you. I would to buy your book and share my review.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I would truly appreciate hearing your thoughts if you do give it a read. Thanks!

reign@Citrus Park injury lawyer July 3, 2011 at 3:57 am

More daddy books from you Derek! Just added this to my list of to buys…. 🙂

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Haha, I will see what I can do.

Life is Grace July 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

your post really inspire me. thanks for the great post and the book

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Good to hear!

Sheila J. Hill July 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Congratulation!!!I hope I can have one of that book…I think I will really like it…Thanks for the post!!!

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Sheila. For less than one dollar you can get your hands on a copy over at Amazon. 🙂

jim July 5, 2011 at 10:10 am

Just ordered a kindle yesterday. So Ill grab your report to be my first read when it comes in.keep up the great work

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Jim! I’d love to hear what you think once you get the Kindle and have a chance to give it a read.

Einspielergebnisse July 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

great book, great blog… lovely greets from Germany 🙂

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Danke! My German has become quite rusty since my high school days, although I can still understand a fair amount when my family is speaking it at get-togethers.

Olga July 6, 2011 at 5:23 am

You know, Derek, there are so many families all over the world and pretty few of them can be defined as happy ones only because dads are almost “absent” there. I hope that your book is able to make difference.

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thank you Olga. I’d be thrilled if my words could influence even one father to be more involved with his children and provide a strong, stable role model for them to follow–as they will remember that when they have children of their own and it will snowball.

Backofenbau July 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

Great blog. Greetings from Berlin, Germany!

derek July 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Thank you; I still have a fair amount of family scattered about Germany and I do believe there are a few people in Berlin. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

SEO Life Insurance Boss July 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

This blog is excellent.I wish to this success,for Germany!

derek July 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Jawohl!

Jet Porse July 7, 2011 at 6:42 am

Congratulations Derek… Your success is an inspiration.

Matt Smith@bluetooth earbuds July 7, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Congrats Derek, can’t wait to check out the new book!

keanrant July 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Congratulations to you Derek! I am so happy for your success. Keep it up and stay cool and humble.

penny auctions July 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Congratulations!
It is really a great news for you as well as us who read your blog often. Keep writing the great stuffs.

manish2010 July 9, 2011 at 4:04 am

Hey Derek !
First of all i would like to say CONGRATULATIONS!! to you for joining the rank of Published Authors,I really admire and appreciate your thoughts and hard work man.I think i am missing so many good stuffs,now its enough,now the time has come when i should download Kindle App.I need to become a good Dad and i wish your Book will help me for sure.I’m going to buy it now from Amazon.Thank You for sharing this info with us.
Good Luck and God Bless!!

Gold Star July 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm

In no time, you will no longer be a known blogger but a know author! Best wishes Derek! More to come from you please. 🙂

bryan@Selinsgrove apartment rentals July 10, 2011 at 3:56 am

It’s good to know there are bloggers who loves to be a dad just like me. Thank you Derek.

GPS For Geocaching July 11, 2011 at 9:13 am

Awesome work Derek!! I haven’t seen you on WF in awhile and I was wondering what you were up to. I will have to check out your book it looks like a great read.

Clark Minn July 11, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Congratulations Derek!!!You made a great job!!!Thanks for sharing this post to us…

Fleur @ new homes in Birmingham July 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

What an awesome achievement Derek. Ok so it’s not through the `traditional’ publishing channel but the world has changed and is evolving. Also it makes it achievable for people to get published. I am writing a book at the moment, an autobiography, and I am really inspired by publishing achievement. Congratulations :0)

Forex News July 18, 2011 at 3:55 am

Samantha@Savvy July 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Congrats Derek! Hope you will sell many copies!

declan hughes August 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Congrats derek – this is an area that really interests me and i have recently published my first article for a fashion website. The more i read this blog the more i learn! – I see this posot was published in june and its now August – hows the sales going?
thanks again
declan

Johannes@Spamschutz kostenlos und effektiv August 9, 2011 at 1:02 am

Congrats on becoming an author. Are you going to post the number of sold copies in a few months?

Hidlight_Accessories_HID September 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Haha congratulations on this! Hopefully a lot of people will read your book, and we won’t have such bad fathers anymore…..

Long Beach Personal Injury Lawyer September 5, 2011 at 2:43 am

congratulations! Its sure a tough thing you been through, good luck on your sales.

Robert@p90x November 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Congratulations on becoming a published author Derek. I hope that your book will sell great. I love that it is only 99 cents as many people can enjoy it at that price. Thanks for letting us know about the Kindle app as well.
– Robert

sandeep @ Free Animation tutorials November 22, 2011 at 5:54 am

Congrats on becoming an author. You made a great job

Sophia@Forex Trading November 22, 2011 at 6:40 am

Great job! Congrats! If my writing article also is published, I will be really really really excited :D. Congrats again to you, and I also would make effort to become a published author.

Property Marbella December 2, 2011 at 6:45 am

Congratulations Derek, hope it sold well.

David @ Essay Writing January 23, 2012 at 2:19 am

Wow Congratulations Derek i would love to know too that how you have made your way to the Ranks of Published Authors =) ?

Bill@penny auctions reviews January 30, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Looks like a great book. I just watched the movie, “Courageous” and am all fired up to be a better dad. Thanks

derek January 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Someone else just mentioned that movie to me as a must-see and tied it back to my book too. Gotta check it out now!

plasterer northumberland February 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Congrats on becoming an author

Daniel Tyler May 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Whether or not it is in print, having anything forsale on amazon.com would definitely be considered a huge deal to me.
You should be quite proud. Congrats.

Bill Wynne May 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I am looking forward to getting some books on Kindle.