3 Steps To Quickly (and Easily) Increase Your Twitter Followers

by derek on July 15, 2011 · 53 comments

If you currently have a Twitter account and seriously want to get more Twitter followers, then it’s time to stop wishing and start doing. I’ve got three top-notch strategies to get free Twitter followers, and I know they can work for you just as well as they’ve worked for me.
A Word of Caution:
Before we go into my strategies, I do want to offer you a word of caution about all these software programs floating around that promise to hold the answers to how to get more Twitter followers.
Not only do these software programs rarely work, but most are against Twitter’s terms of service. That means if you get caught using them, you could lose your Twitter account! Don’t take the risk, especially not when you can use my safe and legitimate strategies instead.
My Little Secret:
There’s just one more thing I want to tell you about before we go into my strategies. It’s the other powerful little secret that has made it so easy for me to manage Twitter and to see just how well my strategies work. It’s called TweetDeck, and I highly recommend that you start using it even before you get started with my strategies.
With this combination of Tweetdeck and the strategies, you absolutely can’t go wrong. No matter what you’re promoting – even if it’s something crazy like reclining lift chairs, a Joovy caboose tandem stroller, dental services, or Hillsdale bar stools – I promise my tips will work for you!
Strategy 1: Create an Online Newspaper
To enact strategy 1, you simply syndicate your own online newspaper. You can do this based on a Twitter list, a user, or a specific keyword or set of keywords. You then publish the newspaper to your Twitter account daily.
My newspaper is called The Guest Blogging Daily, and I made it using nothing but paper.li, my Twitter account, and a Twitter list. If you’re curious, my paper can be seen at http://paper.li/JamesMartell/1308523225.
As you can see, paper.li makes for a beautiful and very presentable paper. What’s even better is that the process is totally automatic! The site posts directly to your Twitter account when each daily paper is released, and it tweets to all of your followers.
What’s more is that contributing authors are automatically tweeted as well. This means that a lot of those contributors will start to follow you and that they’ll retweet the newspaper. Some of the contributors’ followers will see this and start to follow you as well!
Nothing could be better or easier than getting tons of new followers –just like that! All you have to do is a pick a topic your followers will find interesting and then create your paper with paper.li. I challenge you to get to work right away!
Strategy 2: Become a Guest Blogger
You might not know it, but tons of great sites (including this one!) are looking for guest bloggers. Guest blogging is a great way to gain exposure for yourself or your product and to gain more followers for your Twitter.
As a guest blogger, it is your responsibility to have good communication with your readers. Provide them with interesting and useful information, and strive to respond to your readers’ comments and questions. Once they come to depend on you, they will be jumping at the bit to follow you on Twitter.
Just make sure that you step up and actually invite them to follow you! Your author bio is a great place to do this. Just make the invitation enticing. Don’t put it off another minute either; start today!
Strategy 3: Put That Thank You Page to Work
When I asked my good friend, Joshua Sloan, the former Director of Online Marketing for the world’s largest and fastest growing hosting company, 1&1 hosting, how to increase Twitter followers, he showed me this last strategy.
It is, hands down, my most effective and my most simple strategy. In fact, you’ll probably kick yourself for not thinking of it sooner.
All you have to do is make real use of your “Thank You” page. The easiest way to do this is by setting it up so that those visitors who use your opt-in form (such as to contact you or sign up for a newsletter) are redirected to a “Thank You” page.
On that page, you simply invite them to follow you on Twitter. Since they’ve already requested to hear more from you and have entrusted you with their name and email address, then it’s extremely likely they’ll take you up on the invitation.
The Ball’s In Your Court:
Now that you know the three proven ways to gain more followers on Twitter, it’s up to you to start using them. Whether you want to sell home appliances, dental services, or a Bumbleride indie twin stroller, you can make it happen just by putting these strategies into action!
About James
James Martell is well know for his podcasts and affiliate marketing trainings, as well as outsourcing and a specialist in SEO. James is host of the Affiliate Buzz podcast on WebmasterRadio.FM (the first ever and longest running podcast about the affiliate industry), and creator of the Affiliate Marketers SUPER BootCamp. He lives in White Rock BC, a seaside suburb of Vancouver on west coast of Canada with his wife, Arlene.

Online Opportunities July 16, 2011 at 1:16 am

Nice and informative post James, another easy way to get twitter followers is to follow like minded people and lists because in most cases they will just follow you back.

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Yes agreed. That is another great strategy.

Adobo Republic July 16, 2011 at 10:26 am

Hey Derek,
Great guest post by James Martell on your site. I’m a big fan of his and his methods. I followed your blog from your link at 5BAD and really liked your words of wisdom from there.
BTW, watch out for vague comments like those from above. Follow this to know what I mean: Google search (shortened for display by admin)

derek July 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Thanks for taking the time to come and check out my blog via the 5BAD forum. I’ve been busy working on my latest 5BAD project; hope you’ve been doing well also!
You caught the vague comment before I had a chance to filter it out. I do my best to weed those comments out as quickly as I can. Since the beginning I’ve worked to create a true atmosphere of community around this blog, and while I am more than happy to share the link love with people, I don’t appreciate it being abused.
Thanks again, hope to hear from you more!

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Hey Adobo,
Thanks for the kudos. They’re much appreciated. I do see that Derek already caught the “vague comment”. It always amazes me to see them try this. I don’t understand, but I guess a spammer is a spammer.
James

Jane@Blogging 101 July 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

Guest blogging has earned me so many Twitter followers. James, I am much impressed by the way you are guest posting. I can see you everywhere! Keep up.

derek July 17, 2011 at 10:28 am

Jane, I’ve been extremely fortunate to have a number of outstanding guest bloggers–as you know yourself. 🙂

Victor Jacobs@Cadouri July 17, 2011 at 10:17 am

I gave Twitter a try a while ago and got some ok results, it was kind of hard to get the followers.. The followers stopped following, they followed me – I followed them – some unfollowed. That’s the biggest disadvantage – the unfollowing “cheat”. I’ll try these 3 steps too, they seem good. Thanks for sharing!

derek July 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

In my experience, taking a look at someone’s twitter stream will give you a good idea as to whether they will try the unfollowing cheat you mention. If their stream is lacking any @ replies directly to others, chances are that they will follow / unfollow you quickly in an effort to simply build up their numbers.
I’m in the process of building a twitter account for a new business and I am making sure to take my time and engage with the people I am following. I value the connection, not the number of followers.

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Hi Derek, great points. A little research can reveal a lot. I also agree with you when you say “I am making sure to take my time and engage with the people I am following”. It is so important.
Thanks for the great site.
James

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hi Victor, I wouldn’t worry about those that unfollow you. It seems to me that is a natural part of it. If you focus on quality tweets and being social you’re following will grow.
James

Matt Smith@Bluetooth Earbuds July 17, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m a huge fan of TweetDeck also, it’s a great time saver. And I also find that just taking the time to reply to other’s tweets and then asking for re-tweets on your best tweets are both great ways to engage your followers and bring in new ones.

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Hi Matt,
I love TweetDeck. I use it exclusively. I used Hootsuite in the past, but do absolutely prefer TweetDeck. It really helps to stay engaged.

Joe@Leading Locksmith July 19, 2011 at 6:13 am

Chalk me up as another fan of TweetDeck – it’s impossible to be a power user in Twitter without it. The paper.li thing sounds promising; I’ll give that a shot.

Eric Lenhard July 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hi Derek! Great tips I agree with most of them! Another great way to get twitter followers is to follow your “competitors” followers. This tactic works great for my company.

Robert July 20, 2011 at 1:08 am

Great tips!! its really helped me so far.
Feel free to check me out

Samantha@Savvy July 21, 2011 at 6:27 am

Great advice! The paper.li tip is something I will try.

fred@finallyfast.com July 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm

>>>all these software programs floating around that promise to hold the answers to how to get more Twitter followers. Not only do these software programs rarely work, but most are against Twitter’s terms of service.
Absolutely. ALL of these programs are BUNK. There is no way to “cheat” the system in this case.
>>>Tweetdeck
I’ve been using Tweetdeck for as long as I can remember using Twitter 🙂
Interestingly, Twitter actually owns Tweetdeck now (they bought the program last Spring for a huge sum of money).

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm

TweetDeck is a great tool. The type of software I am referring to in the article is the type that “automates” the gathering of your followers. TweetDeck isn’t that it simply a killer management tool.
Twitter seemed to think so as well. 😉

CoryHowell@ArizonaSEO July 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Posting a “follow me” on the thank you page is genious! You’d think most people would do that naturally, but I’m sure it’s overlooked more often than not.
Thanks for sharing!

James Martell August 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I know I originally overlooked it.
It’s there now though. 🙂

ray@earn extra money home July 27, 2011 at 4:43 am

great idea to become a guest blogger on sites like this and ahre your knowledge……….

Settlement Purchaser July 27, 2011 at 5:18 am

Thanks Derek! I still have not got into twitter that much, but I know I need to get started. Thanks for the info i will see how it goes for me, right now I have only 30 followers.

Sherry@alien workshop decks July 27, 2011 at 8:10 am

This is really different from those others who pushed me to try different software to increase my followers. I’m excited to try these stuffs though I had to make an opt-in page to make the thank you page possible.

Settlement Purchaser August 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

The software as he said is not usually compliant with twitters terms and can get you blocked. It is better to get them in the ways Derek talked about.

Marion July 27, 2011 at 8:57 am

Thank You Page is very important. it means a lot to readers to receive a thank
you…. very informative post.

LED street lights July 28, 2011 at 1:13 am

john@Lump Sum Profits Review July 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

Twitter will always be a great tool to get targeted traffic to website. Most of automation tool to build twitter follower is against TOS of twitter and will get account banned. I think these 3 steps would work and if properly applied will bring lot of quality followers. Thanks.

sanjay July 31, 2011 at 7:09 am

Thanks for the strategies, twitter is a lot of work. But it is worth it in the end

KBharath @ HDBloggers August 1, 2011 at 3:24 am

Thanks for sharing these useful steps for getting twitter followers i am not using tweetdeck as mentioned i will start using the tweet deck from today itself.

Mike@how to get rid of a hickey August 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

well i like quick ways like twiends and tweet attacks 😐

Tut August 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I’ve been able to build up a decent Twitter following but haven’t had any luck monetizing it

Personalised Birthday Banners August 6, 2011 at 3:51 am

Try searching for auto-follow in tweeter. This is a software that follows you if you follow them. A lot of twitter users use them. I also use social oopmh for my tweets. It can help you automate your tweets and you can use multiple twitter accounts together.

Ana Jones August 6, 2011 at 4:18 am

I have a twitter account for a while now, but I get only few followers :).. It’s kind of difficult to have followers if you’re not really that popular..
Thanks for this article, I might be able to improve my twitter account. I hardly open it since I think I have only less than 20 followers..

Wez Bailey August 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Hmm posting interesting tweets or retweeting interesting tweets/posts is also likely to help make you gain followers. I wonder why super stars have so many followers, I mean honestly who cares if Kim Kardashian just chipped her nails:S Oh well guess some thousands of people do care.

Settlement Purchaser August 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

My god mother just had this convo, she was like I can’t believe how interesting these stupid reality shows get you hooked. So I am guessing we are all a little star crazy.

Jane August 7, 2011 at 6:30 am

Twitter is really a good venue for community discussion and it really is an advantage if you have a lot of followers. It is a potential site that you may get leads to increase traffic in your blog. Thus, for those who have twitter accounts, it is very vital to increase followers. This is a really very useful post. Thank you for sharing.

kevin August 8, 2011 at 3:13 am

I tried your tips and now my followers are picking.. Thanks for the tips James..

Gregory @ ascentive August 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

definitely do not trust any “company” or website who is claiming to be able to increase your Twitter numbers either in exchange for payment or even free ad-supported software. You have to gain your followers the hard way!

MobiGizmos August 9, 2011 at 9:05 am

well written, simple and great tip. Thank you so much sharing! Interaction , engagement is the key to increase followers.

milford August 14, 2011 at 5:14 am

I really like the idea of the thank you page. I never thought about putting Twitter message on it. And I have over 3,000 followers. Now many more will be added. Thanks.

Judy@Mommy Today Magazine August 14, 2011 at 6:09 am

That thank you page tip is a great idea! You really think outside the box. Thanks for sharing!

Matt Harrison@Mini Trampoline August 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Great post James! Creating an online newspaper…that’s a new one for me. I’ll be trying that out soon though. Thanks!

Goodman@Fiu Investment Club August 21, 2011 at 10:40 am

My twitter account get’s no love…. Thanks for this article.

Grant August 23, 2011 at 8:20 am

The strategy #1 seem great to implement.. i will try it in my twitter account.
thanks for sharing.

Dick August 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Great secrets, thanks for sharing!

Loc @ Hotdeal August 27, 2011 at 7:17 am

I find people now a days use twitter for spamming their ideas or product. Do you want to follow me? I’ll follow you. I have a twitter account with almost 10,000 followers, when I twit something, people don’t respond like I wish they did.
I’ll give your idea a try, especially, “Strategy 3: Put That Thank You Page to Work”, which I never even thought of.

Mark September 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Secret is not a secret anymore. thanks for your topics

Jon@Great Experience Days September 2, 2011 at 7:58 am

Very insightful post. I do use Twitter a lot in my free time. The main tip that I always follow beyond all is look natural, give it the personal touch. I never tweet too much either, I spread them out and only tweet a maximum of 6 times a day. It can be annoying when you see your whole timeline filled by someone elses tweets…this normally ends up with an unfollow.
Great Post Derek

DSDS November 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Really cool! I will try this out to increase my follower.

Robert@p90x November 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I haven’t really put any time into twitter yet and I do think it is a missed opportunity if I don’t. These are some great tips James. I like the idea of guest blogging because it can really get your website and name out there and of course increase twitter followers.
– Robert

Jesse@West Bay Club homes December 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Guest posting is really a great way to increase twitter followers especially to those blogs you have comment luv premium. Others, think that following auto-follows will bring success to their strategy however internet marketers should always remember that in social media marketing, you need to target real persons and not machine.

Anita@Brazilian Wax Video April 29, 2012 at 2:17 am

Becoming a guest blogger is a magnificent idea, Derek! I’ll gladly admit that when I first started with Twitter a year ago I got some software to get new followers – little did I realise that it was a breach of Twitter’s terms and conditions and I had my account banned. Although you’d think I would be upset I was thrilled because it forced me to open my eyes and find more honest and genuine ways to get new followers – getting a guest blogger spot is something I hadn’t thought about and will certainly look into!
Mmwa!