Got WordPress Questions?

by derek on October 5, 2011 · 32 comments

At the beginning of October, I entered into a 30 day branding challenge being coordinated by Tiffany Dow and I have decided to use this blog as my active branding case study.
Currently, I’ve branded this site as the WordPress Ninja because I’ve always had a passion for helping other people by providing solutions to their technical problems or questions. In my years creating sites (including blogs) on the WordPress platform, I’ve learned quite a few tricks.
As a matter of fact, a fellow participant in the branding challenge reached out to me with a WordPress problem and I was able to resolve her issue without any trouble. And this was after she had reached out to a number of other experts without any luck.
With all that said, I recognize that I have drifted away from providing WordPress tips and tricks, tutorials, and resources so I wanted to open this to the community as well.
What WordPress questions or problems are you having?
Due to my preference to work with the Thesis WordPress theme, a lot of my tutorials and guides are based on that theme. However, I truly want to provide a service here that helps you.
By understanding what questions or problems you are having, I will be able to tailor my WordPress lessons so that they are even more useful to you. No question is too basic; as a matter of fact those are often the most helpful questions to ask because you’re not alone.
We will be covering WordPress from soup to nuts for both the beginner and the more advanced user. Don’t worry if some lessons are too basic, or too advanced for you, we will have something here for everyone.
Now, let me hear your WordPress questions!

Derek@Partnership Agreement form October 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Glad I found your blog, Derek. I have a question for you already, but I am going to come back for some more tips and tricks later too. I was wondering – which database optimizer plugin do you recommned? I’ve tried a few including WP Total Cache, but certain problems seem to arise with newer versions of WP.
thanks in advance for any advice!

derek October 13, 2011 at 8:12 am

I’ll have to add that to the queue; I’ve never been a fan of the optimizer plugins as I’ve seen too many of them cause problems on blogs I’ve worked on. I’ll have to investigate the various options and do some analysis.

andreas@Flyttirmor October 7, 2011 at 2:07 am

Hi! I’m glad I’ve found your blog. I want to study wordpress, that’s why I’ve started making a research and reviews. I’ll be back at you blog and wish I could have more information about wordpress. Thank you so much!

Brian@Lack of Sleep October 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Wordpress is awesome, you don’t have to learn programming, saves a lot of time.
You should definitely check into Thesis as well, it really streamlines everything!

derek October 13, 2011 at 8:13 am

I’m a big fan of Thesis as you might know – this site, and many of my others are built on the Thesis theme.

Jean @ Used Tires December 6, 2011 at 2:42 am

I tried Thesis with one of my sites a while back too and loved it. It’s so customizable and easy to use. Really well suited for SEO.
-Jean

Russ@Michigan Web Design January 14, 2012 at 3:16 am

When people come to me for a WordPress based website I use the Twenty Ten them. It’s a default theme I know, but it works great and if you are good with php, html, and css you can completely change the entire look. The only issue I run into is getting it to pass in W3’s css validator but that is easy enough to take care of if needed 🙂
Although, I’m not to big on Twenty Eleven, but it does have some cool home page and widget features to take advantage of.

Settlement Purchaser October 10, 2011 at 11:02 am

I am glad you have come to open up the floor for more help. I myself have run into various WP problems. One that bothers me but I know there is no fix for it but I really liked the plugin SlimStat and since an update is hasn’t worked in some time. While that isn’t a huge problem its just the one I haven’t been able to solve.

derek October 13, 2011 at 8:14 am

I’ve not heard of that plugin before; sounds like the developer abandoned it, so short of me picking it up and contributing to the plugin I might not be able to offer much help on that one.

Settlement Purchaser October 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for letting me know anyway. I will have to try and find a workaround. I really did like that plugin.

James@penny auctions site October 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Great! I’m just new to wordpress and I want to learn something new. Tricks, Tips, and other things. I think I found someone to ask for in case of something on wordpress.

Vesper@California personal injury lawyer October 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I have some several websites powered by wordpress. So far I’m not experiencing any problem but I know I will. lol So I decided to look for sites that can help me and luckily I found yours.

John Barnett October 14, 2011 at 11:48 am

Good one! I am new to wordpress. I want to learn something new about wordpress.

Noman Issam October 15, 2011 at 1:59 am

you’re actually a just right webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a fantastic activity in this topic!

Daisy October 16, 2011 at 6:15 am

I was just wondering what your top plugins are for every Wordpress install? What are your can’t live without plugins? And beside from Thesis; what do you consider the next best thing (theme)?

Lennart Heleander@Marbella apartments October 18, 2011 at 4:21 am

I have read that I should not have too many plugin a WP page, it is true?? and what is maximum number of such cases.

Anne@Santa Monica Personal Injury Attorney October 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I agree with you guys, Wordpress is really awesome. I’ve been using wordpress for several blogs that I manage. And I love the Thesis theme!

Kelly October 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I am also new to WordPress so I look forward to learning new things and getting help when needed.

Robert@p90x October 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I think the Thesis theme is fantastic for customization. I still want to take a lot more time on learning it so this would be great if I can ask you some questions down the road Derek. Thanks.

Kostas@Online Opportunities November 1, 2011 at 3:34 am

Hi Derek, that’s a great way to help your fellow bloggers, wordpress it’s really the most used content management platform for bloggers and it’s really great that you help bloggers to take advantage of it…

Jim@Vince Delmonte November 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I’d be interested to know if you have a list of say, “essential” wordpress Plugins that you always use (or almost always use). The ones that you think are the best, or most important, out there? Thanks!

edmond0925 November 7, 2011 at 9:08 am

Great post! I love wordpress. It’s where I first site was made!

Jasper November 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm

WordPress is really amazing. So far i’m not having any problem using it but i know it will. That is why i want to learn more about WordPress. Hope you can post more useful ideas about WordPress. Thanks!

Maja@fantastic sams November 19, 2011 at 12:47 am

I am on the way to learn wordpress and very glad to read your help offer for us.It is great virtue, keep it up.

Joseph@Kidney Diet December 17, 2011 at 3:20 am

Wordpress is a good blog platform and my kidney diet site is made using wordpress. the backup and upgrade procedure is really what worries me.

Veronica Cervera December 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I know your readers are all so excited about this. Word press being one of the best blogging platforms is a favorite for beginners in blogging. You being able to help those who are new and also the experienced wordpress users is great.

hendri@compact digital camera reviews December 27, 2011 at 8:43 am

but i use blogger too….

Russ@Michigan Web Design February 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hey Derek,
Do you have any experience with the “Genesis” Theme for WordPress?

derek February 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

No, I have never worked with Genesis.

Anita@Brazilian Wax Video April 29, 2012 at 2:27 am

‘A few tricks’ is probably an understatement. From what I’ve read thus far you’ve got more than a few Wordpress tricks up your sleeve, my darlin’ 🙂
Anita. xx

Dave@New Launch Guru April 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Come by your blog post only 6 months after :).
Im currently using Wordpress too, but I’m having problem finding a problem optimisation+caching tool. I was using W3 Total Cache and Im afraid of it now, it nearly deleted my entire blog’s media + theme files while exporting to CDN, luckily i had my back up.

derek May 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm

My opinion differs from many but I personally don’t like any of the caching plugins, or at least the ones that I’ve had experience with so far. I prefer to try and reduce the load as much as possible by not including unnecessary plugins, utilizing a well built theme such as Thesis that doesn’t introduce much code bloat, optimizing images for loading, etc.
I’ve been involved with too many blogs that have had significant problems due to the mismanagement of the caching plugin so I avoid it if at all possible.