You Haven't Lived Life If You Haven't…

by derek on December 7, 2011 · 27 comments

You haven’t lived life if you haven’t found love,
and when it comes to love don’t wait, take your chances
or you will be too late.
You will later regret your wait.
As life comes, be strong
Face the changes.
Make wise decisions.
That was the past, this is now.
Don’t let people drag you down
No one is perfect
but you have to do what feels right.
Sometimes it might feel wrong but it might be right.
Don’t let other people guide your life
This is your life
Not theirs
Control is the key
Remember, don’t look back
That is the past
This is now

Read the above one more time and really soak it in.
Now, I have known many adults that have struggled with the idea of love and the meaning of life. The words shared here are quite profound and state a very strong case on how to approach both life and love.
Would you believe me if I told you the above was written by a child?
When I got home from work last night, my 10 year old son was in his bedroom busy working at his desk. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was writing.
He does a lot of writing. Songs. Poems. Short stories.
Over the last year or two he has written some great pieces. When I read the piece above that he wrote last night, I was amazed at how deep and profound a lot of it really is – and knew that I needed to share that with all of you.
What do you think?
Share your comments here and I will be sure to let him know what people thought!

Brid @ Gerd Remedies December 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Derek, your son is wise beyond his years. I think we can learn a lot from children. Their innocence and wonder is something to be cherished. thanks again.

Stan@Michigan Insurance Companes January 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

This was written by Derek’s son? Cool kid!

derek January 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Right on…this was written by my little guy. It is funny because he comes home from school most days with little sayings written on his hands (we’re trying to convince him to use a notebook, ha) but a lot of them are extremely insightful.

rex@Lewisburg houses for rent December 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

People think that a child sees life always as a playground but with what your son has written we can depict how they can think at such a young age. You should be very proud of him! 🙂

Northumberland Realtor December 8, 2011 at 8:27 am

You must be a proud dad Derek! Our children’s way of thinking is a result of how you make them realize what life is. And indeed you gave him a clear view of how to make his life the best life.

percy@molded brick December 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Who would say that that is a work of a 10 year old boy. You have a very intelligent boy Derek! Someone who values life more than some teenagers who wastes time doing nothing.

Settlement Purchaser December 10, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I can’t believe a 10 year old wrote this, who clever and well said.

Kostas@Online Opportunities December 12, 2011 at 2:10 am

Hi Derek, I think your son has a good mentor, well done!

Chris G. December 12, 2011 at 3:49 am

Wow, because of those wise and true words I almost had a tear in my eye. Unbelievable your 10 yr old son did write this. Some much, much older people couldn’t write such lines with more honesty and impact although they may have gone through a whole lot of more things than your son

Veronica Cervera@coral gables homes December 12, 2011 at 10:44 am

I can t believe a ten year old can write something so deep. I especially like the point of not letting people drag down your life because it is yours. If you let other people run your life for you then you will never be truly happy and satisfied with your life.

Virgil Jones December 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

Wow! Your son is a genius. I remember the poem Desiderata, written by Max Ehrmann in 1927. Your son clearly stated how we should look at life on a different angle and children looks at life on a level where we adults, if only could see, would make life easier.

Nirmal Kumar@Numtamilnadu December 14, 2011 at 6:44 am

Great poem . Wish your son a bright future.

safes for sale December 14, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Derek! I always believe that children tell the truth. And what your son has written is one of the many truths that we adults should not ignore and forget. Thanks for sharing. This is very enlightening.

bhentura@molded brick December 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Make sure your child will keep up his good works and make us see it. 🙂 He is someone who can see life clearly at a young age.

Loc@Hotdeals December 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

He definitely has a talent. If he can write a poem at this age imagine what he can do when he is all grown up. Cause when I read the poem, I would have never expect it was written from a 10 year old. Very impressed.

xharlot@Sunbury houses for sale December 15, 2011 at 8:59 am

I read it again when I saw that it was a work of 10 year old. I mean, I never thought that is how they perceive life.

hosting geek December 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Amazing! For his age is very well. I am happy for your son.

Mifflinburg real estate agent December 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Past is past and what we have now is what we should cherish. Good job boy!

Jesse@The Brooks homes December 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

It’s hard to believe that a 10 year kid wrote this poem.I mean, he’s too young to know this stuff and what amazed me is that what he has written is actually true. You’re son is genius Derek.

Ammy January 4, 2012 at 8:24 am

Beautiful!!! your son is so great! and he is on the right way. Something we just forgot the most beautiful thinks in life. Thank you so much! is so inspiring. 🙂
Cheers,

watch January 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Wise words from someone so young and well written. It seems that he will grow up with a flair for writing.

Settlement Purchaser January 18, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Truer words could not be spoken.

Stan@Michigan Insurance Companes January 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

Dude…honestly that is pretty damn deep. Like Lenny Kravitz said “let love rule!”

derek January 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Both of my kids continue to amaze me on a regular basis; they’ve made me a very proud father!

Settlement Purchaser February 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

I really like what you wrote, or did you find that somewhere. Some of the best advice I have seen in awhile.

Jean @ Used Tires February 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Wow, it is amazing that such thoughtful verses could be written by a 10 year old. Your son seems very mature for his age. I think he will grow up to be a great writer perhaps.
-Jean

Verdi April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

I guess your son is your most valuable treasure. What a very wisdom of words come from a 10 yrs old boy. Remind me with my 4 yrs old son who is always criticizing me and his mom, for every little things that me and my wife did.
Best wishes for you and your son,
Verdi